Tristan Gebbia

I think Oregon State being one of the handful of schools that hadn’t begun yet had more to do with it than Mike Riley. Looking at that list of schools, which offenses fit the best, then familiarity with coaches, etc.

That’s how I would do it, anyway. Then again I wouldn’t have decided to transfer.

• Plus1 2

I think TG transferring now, instead of at the end of the season, may actually hurt his chances with the NFL.

I could see an NFL GM asking himself "do I want a QB who is in a battle being the starter, and upon losing, demands to be traded right before the season starts, and leaves me with no good back-up, or do I want a QB who lost the battle and says he will stay and be the best back up he can be, then asking to be traded at the end of year so he can potentially start somewhere else.?"

I don't mean to imply that Bunch isn't a good back up.

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, Dbqgolfer said:

I think TG transferring now, instead of at the end of the season, may actually hurt his chances with the NFL.

I could see an NFL GM asking himself "do I want a QB who is in a battle being the starter, and upon losing, demands to be traded right before the season starts, and leaves me with no good back-up, or do I want a QB who lost the battle and says he will stay and be the best back up he can be, then asking to be traded at the end of year so he can potentially start somewhere else.?"

NFL GM’s won’t care too much about that. Their main job is to find talent. I don’t think Gebbia is talented enough to make the NFL, but I doubt this transfer will be held against him by NFL scouts and GM’s. 

• Plus1 1
13 minutes ago, Dbqgolfer said:

I mean, maybe the Browns GM.

• Plus1 1

I have little doubt that Gebbia and Riley communicated plenty ever since Riley was fired.  '''''''Gebbia probably like Riley and Riley liked Gebbia.  Why not?   
The problem lies in the issue of whether or not Riley, under a contract which likely has certain protective clauses (confidentiality, polices, internal non-public information, etc.) not to be disclosed or suffer breach, including loss of compensation and so on.  If Riley was helping to arrange a 'bail out' or escape plan for Gebbbia by transferring to OSU when or if he became unhappy at NU, then would likely fall under a 'tampering' or negative recruiting, etc. type of breach.  If it involved arranging for Gebbia to have a place on the OSU roster at such time as he wanted, then Riley of course would be very familiar with the best and or worst (for NU) times to get him to transfer.   Gebbia may have simply called Riley Saturday to tell him and his Daddy that he didn't get the starting job and they simply said, OK, we'll take the prearranged spot at OSU and the process was set in motion.  It seems very unlikely that Gebbia made and overnight decision to up and quit and move elsewhere at this point in time without any prior planning or considerations.   You don't tell the Coach you quit without a plan in place to go elsewhere if your NFL dream is all you've been planning for years and years.   No, this is to big a decision to make impulsively.   The plan "B" to OSU was already in place a long ago.  Maybe within days of Riley's firing (or even sooner since it was apparent Riley would be terminated and Riley knew he'd go back to a waiting spot at Oregon State.   

Legal for Gebbia to leave without 'notice'?   Yes I would think so.  Legal for Riley to solicit or tamper or recruit NU kids?   Probably not but if unlimited transfer rules are now in place, then one can expect all coaches to be recruiting under the radar all the time.  There are many rules in recruiting and this kind of thing is clearly unethical and ought to be violation of NCAA rules.  It is somewhat a form of alienation of affection found  in divorce law.   Since NU is paying MR millions, if there is a violation, I would think they would want to know and save the money.   

Riley was fired for being a poor coach and not winning, etc.  He was not seemingly working to sabotage or undermine the program or the University but perhaps he has acted in bad faith out of spite?   If he advises players not to go to NU, he better being careful to be honest and truthful and not slanderous.   

• Plus1 3

9 hours ago, GBRFAN said:

Not sure if you heard but we have a new coach named Scott Frost and attendance will be 90K+

I'm not sure a lot of people are aware there's going to be 90k+. Did I not say 85k+ I know there's usually more in attendance who really knows. I think the numbers are skewed anyway.

2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

He also doesn’t have a NFL arm. Gebbia’s best ability is his brain, but he doesn’t have a strong enough arm to make it to the NFL. 

He's good at short throws and average at intermediate throws but struggles when asked for a deep ball. He'll do OK at Oregon State. They don't get many 4 star type of guys so they're lucky. 

I can't see an NFL career for him but you never know. If he couldn't put on weight at a place like ours, he won't be able to do it elsewhere. I really wasn't a fan of his throwing motion in the spring game. It looked like he had to put all his skinny weight/frame into each throw whereas Bunch and Martinez made it look effortless.

5 minutes ago, FTW said:

He's good at short throws and average at intermediate throws but struggles when asked for a deep ball. He'll do OK at Oregon State. They don't get many 4 star type of guys so they're lucky. 

I can't see an NFL career for him but you never know. If he couldn't put on weight at a place like ours, he won't be able to do it elsewhere. I really wasn't a fan of his throwing motion in the spring game. It looked like he had to put all his skinny weight/frame into each throw whereas Bunch and Martinez made it look effortless.

Your last point about having to put his whole body into long throws is why he doesn’t have a strong enough arm for the NFL. Defenses are too good and have too much speed for QB’s who don’t have strong arms. 

4 minutes ago, FTW said:

It didn't look like he put on much weight while here.  I can't find a BTN tour video but when Gebbia was giving the quick tour of the facilities he said "that's the weight room, not important".  Maybe I imagined it but I remember thinking "what, I hope that was just a joke".  I heard about Martinez taking the conditioning seriously but nothing about Gebbia.  Not trying to disparage the guy after he left but his size was probably a factor in not getting the starting job (as I'm watching the Purdue QB get pummeled)

Most tape that i saw showed Gebbia as the guy that put the ball in the best spot for the RB's and WR's to catch and run or catch and not worry about the ball being tipped by the defender. 

With that said, AM has better legs and looks like he can handle a hit from a BigTen LB.  AB seems to have very good control of the offense and is more than good enough to manage this offense. 

It's too bad that TG is gone, however as SF said it's all about guys that want to be at Nebraska.

Less than 48 hours til kickoff - i think us fans just like the players are ready to see a live game.

• Plus1 2
  • Mavric changed the title to Tristan Gebbia