Don't Just Impeach Trump—Annul His Presidency

Interesting. It would never happen, but it's interesting.

Don't Just Impeach Trump—Annul His Presidency

Suppose, just suppose, Robert Mueller finds overwhelming and indisputable evidence that Trump conspired with Putin to rig the 2016 election, and the rigging determined the election’s outcome.

In other words, Trump’s presidency is not authorized under the United States Constitution.

Suppose these findings are so compelling that even Trump loyalists desert him, the Republican Party decides it has had enough, and Fox News calls for his impeachment.

What then? Impeachment isn’t enough.

Impeachment would remedy Trump’s “high crimes and misdemeanors.” But impeachment would not remedy Trump’s unconstitutional presidency because it would leave in place his vice president, White House staff and Cabinet, as well as all the executive orders he issued and all the legislation he signed, and the official record of his presidency.

The only response to an unconstitutional presidency is to annul it. Annulment would repeal all of it – recognizing that such appointments, orders, rules, and records were made without constitutional authority.

The Constitution does not specifically provide for annulment of an unconstitutional presidency. But read as a whole, the Constitution leads to the logical conclusion that annulment is the appropriate remedy for one.

After all, the Supreme Court declares legislation that doesn’t comport with the Constitution to be null and void, as if it had never been passed.

• Plus1 5

2 hours ago, RedDenver said:

No. We shouldn't forget our history good or bad. Whoever is the next President will replace Trump's appointments, orders, etc. just like Trump did to Obama's.

It doesn't sound like making people forget, it sounds like an annulment would remove Trump's entire cabinet and revert all laws to what they were when Obama left office. Officially it would be like Trump was never President, but you bet the entire ordeal would live on in history books as long as America was a country.

3 minutes ago, rolldog said:

As long as the annulment comes from the side you like, all is well.  If not, you might have a different response.

Or you could just not choose a side, and be an American.

Political parties are a plague on society. Don't register R or D, vote for the best candidate.

• Plus1 6

If Trump gets impeached what happens next is vitally important to the country.  There is still a debate as whether Gerald Ford did the right thing in pardoning Nixon - for the purpose of 'moving on' and healing the wound.  Annulment won't occur and if it did we'd sure would not be down the road to healing.  It will be up to the next elected president to reverse what has occurred.   If the country is in favor of annulment, then a Bernie Sanders type person will be elected and will begin reversing what has been done.  It Trump is removed, I hope Pence will have enough sense to move towards healing and reconciliation..  If impeachment occurs before 2020 then most likely Pence's term will be short as he'll be replaced by a Dem.  Pence's only chance of reelection would be for him to reach out to the other side - or to better phrase it to 'all Americans' for the purpose of healing.

I've always wondered about this. What do we do if the Trump presidency really isn't legitimate? I disagree with some here. If Trump and Russians rigged the election in Trumps favor, annulment would be the right and only course of action imo. It won't happen, but to me it doesn't make sense to put Pence or anyone from the Trump team in charge if the Trump administration was unconstitutionally elected. Allowing Trump and the GOP to essentially get away with rigging the election by keeping the Trump administration in power would set bad precedent God forbid something like this would ever happen again.

• Plus1 3
  • 4 weeks later...

I would agree with this...it's pretty damn obvious Trump is a traitor, and anything he's done can be called into question as he may be compromised by a foreign entity...especially one that is at odds with our country. 

If treason is one of the charges and he's found guilty, we should annul anything he's signed or put into effect for the entire duration of his sham presidency. 

10 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

I would agree with this...it's pretty damn obvious Trump is a traitor, and anything he's done can be called into question as he may be compromised by a foreign entity...especially one that is at odds with our country. 

If treason is one of the charges and he's found guilty, we should annul anything he's signed or put into effect for the entire duration of his sham presidency. 

Treason is very narrowly defined as giving aid to the enemy, so I don't thinkTrump can be charged with treason.

United States Constitution. Article III, section 3 reads as follows:

Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court.

The Congress shall have Power to declare the Punishment of Treason, but no Attainder of Treason shall work Corruption of Blood, or Forfeiture except during the Life of the Person attainted.

32 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

If Trump is impeached, then according to the US Constitution, not only is the President removed from office, but so is the VP, and Trump's cabinet.

http://www.famous-trials.com/johnson/487-constitution

I think the below means that the president, vice president, and all civil officers are able to be impeached. I think that just means Mike Pence could be impeached, in a separate trial from Trump. He wouldn't be gone just because Trump is impeached.

The Constitution, Article II, Section 4:
The President, Vice President and all civil Officers of the United States, shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors.

• Plus1 1