How much offense do we lose?

1 hour ago, wiuhusker said:

There's a good reason that Frost's QB's have led the nation or have been hear the top in QB efficiency the last few years. None of the guys have been crazy accurate throwers. Just the simple fact that guys are so wide open or there is an easy option built into every play. It's not rocket science. 

Frost and Co know what they are doing IMHO with QB's.  I am confident they will work with Bunch night and day to make him more than serviceable.

https://www.landof10.com/nebraska/scott-frost-jim-harbaugh-nebraska-football-quarterback-whisperer

29 minutes ago, Huskr25 said:

None. Frost isnt going to tame down play calling because of that. He said himself he doesnt play the "what-if" game. So itll be business as usual for the offense

Good to hear, Riley played the "what-if" game....

"What-if I was good enough to justify having this job?"

I don't like the what-if game much lol

Frost's offense isn't option heavy a little read option here and there and maybe some misdirection type option or QB draw, but its not like he features the QB in the I set option like our 90's teams

so if Martinez run 7-9 times a game that's probably about it- someone said it best- Frost doesn't change his scheme based on "what if's"

5 hours ago, wiuhusker said:

There's a good reason that Frost's QB's have led the nation or have been hear the top in QB efficiency the last few years. None of the guys have been crazy accurate throwers. Just the simple fact that guys are so wide open or there is an easy option built into every play. It's not rocket science. 

I can't believe I read one, much less multiple posts to suggest this. Milton threw some laser guided missiles last year.

Forget injuries.  Play the hand you are dealt, and go full speed.  Unless the team is up big and the game is decided, keep him in and ball out.  He has no college experience so far and needs every rep he can get.  I want to see him tested, confident and ready to go when he arriving at the Big House in Michigan. Let's play some football!

11 hours ago, Hunter94 said:

you guys missed the point.........i am not worried about his throwing the ball, but i am worried when he runs an option, one good hit and he could be out for awhile....glad ya'll have faith in Bunch, our walk on QB and only back up...hope it all works out....T-Magic was the s#!t until the one shoe string tackle that jacked up the rest of his season....i still remember that hit.

It's a fair question.

I think the answer is to not limit him if it limits your chances to win.  That's the concern with Bunch in the first place.  He doesn't give you as much of a chance to win as Martinez.  With Gebbia it was more or less equal.

Now if they're beating Akron by 4 TDs, maybe if they had Gebbia on the bench they'd still be calling running plays with Martinez, since as a true Freshman QB he needs every rep he can get.  Since they don't have Gebbia it's completely reasonable to suspect they'll be more cautious in those situations.

• Plus1 1
12 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

I'd appreciate some clarity and specificity on who exactly is the topic of this thread.

He. His.....who the hell are we talking about?

The OP sure doesn't help clarify. If it's AM or Bunch, add his name in there somewhere.

And assuming it is one of our top 2 quarterbacks, should we really be any more concerned about an injury than we have been for the last 6 years? Personally I'm more comfortable with Bunch taking snaps than the situation we've been in for quite awhile. You can't play this game with hesitancy and fear of injury. If it happens, it happens. At least Frost will have some backups prepared. That's light years ahead of what Riley ever did.

Playing scared is poison. It kills your execution, and IMO, you are more likely to get hit. Although I think AM and Frost need to discuss running out of bounds and hook sliding instead of getting a few extra yards. I also think there needs to be a plan to take someones head off if the opposition cheap shots AM. Something similar to pitchers retaliating in baseball. The Huskers need to make it clear that there will be no cheap shotting our QB.

18 hours ago, Moiraine said:

This is getting pretty ridiculous. Bunch was good enough to get plenty of reps in fall camp.

If these are true option plays, and they probably are with Frost as the coach, they aren't going to be "calling his number" very often. He'll take what the defense gives him. If he plays timid we'll lose more offense than we would if he runs it more because he's running when he's supposed to.

The only offense we're losing is whatever the difference between Bunch and Gebbia is.

based off the spring game it won't be much, but what we do lose would be the threat martinez brings with his legs. But with Bunch the offense seems to run smoother so there is a gain there as well. 

As you said its ridiculous, it really is nothing to get worried about.