Frost - The greatest hire since Nick Saban

Dansker

1 minute ago, StPaulHusker said:

Since Nebraska joined the B1G: Wisconsin vs teams that had a higher recruiting ranking:  Rankings per 247 Composite.

2011:  Wisconsin was ranked 44th:  Wisconsin went 4-3

2012:  Wisconsin was ranked 65th:  Wisconsin went 5-5

2013:  Wisconsin was ranked 40th:  Wisconsin went 1-4

2014:  Wisconsin was ranked 32nd:  Wisconsin went 1-2

2015:  Wisconsin was ranked 41st:  Wisconsin went 2-1

2016:  Wisconsin was ranked 35th:  Wisconsin went 3-3

2017:  Wisconsin was ranked 39th:  Wisconsin went 3-1

So in the 7 years since Nebraska joined the B1G, Wisconsin has gone 19-19 against teams with better recruiting classes than them.  That's not elite.  That's average.  

Eh .... 19-19 as a record by itself is average.  But in the subset of games against teams that have out-recruited a particular team, I bet it's pretty decent.  Probably not "elite" but it's got to be well above average.

3 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Since Nebraska joined the B1G: Wisconsin vs teams that had a higher recruiting ranking:  Rankings per 247 Composite.

2011:  Wisconsin was ranked 44th:  Wisconsin went 4-3

2012:  Wisconsin was ranked 65th:  Wisconsin went 5-5

2013:  Wisconsin was ranked 40th:  Wisconsin went 1-4

2014:  Wisconsin was ranked 32nd:  Wisconsin went 1-2

2015:  Wisconsin was ranked 41st:  Wisconsin went 2-1

2016:  Wisconsin was ranked 35th:  Wisconsin went 3-3

2017:  Wisconsin was ranked 39th:  Wisconsin went 3-1

So in the 7 years since Nebraska joined the B1G, Wisconsin has gone 19-19 against teams with better recruiting classes than them.  That's not elite.  That's average.  

We have won 1 division title to Wisconsin's 5 division titles and 3 conference championships to our zero. They've done more with less. We've got our work cut out for us.

10 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Eh .... 19-19 as a record by itself is average.  But in the subset of games against teams that have out-recruited a particular team, I bet it's pretty decent.  Probably not "elite" but it's got to be well above average.

I agree. Outside of the B1G, they become stonewalled. With that said, Wisconsin's recent success during the 21st century reminds me of the Nebraska teams before Osborne rattled off 3 NC's in the 90's. The thing is, in this CFP era, I can't see them beating an Alabama or a Clemson. I think they would get clobbered like the 59-0 shellacking served up by tOSU in the '14 CCG.

9 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

They are 5-11 against Top 15 classes during that time, FWIW

So they've won five games against teams that have a significant "talent advantage" - basically happens twice in three years for them - and they're 14-8 against teams with a moderate talent advantage.

That seems pretty good to me.

• Plus1 1

10 minutes ago, Mavric said:

So they've won five games against teams that have a significant "talent advantage" - basically happens twice in three years for them - and they're 14-8 against teams with a moderate talent advantage.

That seems pretty good to me.

It's far from elite and they aren't competing for any national championships.  That is the point

4 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Whether they are over rated or not. They are like #4 in the polls. So if they take care of business they have a shot at a playoff appearance and national title. All with their 40th ranked recruiting class. Whether they deserve it or not they have the 40th ranked recruiting class on average yet are #4 in the country.

tOSU seems to be their Achilles heel though. If we can't get past Wisconsin, they'll make a run for the CFP but it'll probably stop (again) in the CCG. They've simply had good leadership at the top. Continuity -- something we've known nothing about since probably 2003.

21 minutes ago, Mavric said:

You don't know if it's elite because you haven't compared to to other team's records in the same circumstances.

While you choose one, I picked Oregon.

Since 2011 Oregon was ranked 12,14,19,21,16,27,19.  So obviously there would be fewer teams they could play with higher ranked recruiting classes.

9-8 vs teams ranked higher than them.  6-5 vs top 15

3 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

While you choose one, I picked Oregon.

Since 2011 Oregon was ranked 12,14,19,21,16,27,19.  So obviously there would be fewer teams they could play with higher ranked recruiting classes.

9-8 vs teams ranked higher than them.  6-5 vs top 15

Oregon style of play and coaching scheme helps overcome recruiting advantages.  Just like TTech and Baylor and other teams who have risen to a national level running the spread offense.  What Wisconsin does is down right remarkable.  The run a pro system and beat people in the trenches with recruiting classes ranked in the 20's and 30's.  

Scheme is a big part of success with these types of teams, and offensive minded coaches do a better job of overcoming the talent gap than defensive coaches.  Doesnt matter what defense you run, you will need some dudes on that side of the ball to be elite.