Possible Sunday reschedule

7 hours ago, It'sNotAFakeID said:

We're still paying Mike Riley $6,600,000, and that was a decision we could control. 

There's literally no worse nightmare from an administration's perspective than having possible weather cancellations during a game. You can't call it off prematurely, because if you do, you look like a fool if the weather doesn't happen. There should be a plan in place for these sort of events - and I'm 100% confident there is. Also, any announcement to fans would have to be made over the PA system - and I doubt the effectiveness of that when everybody is inside the concourse. 

What I don't know, and what is really confusing to me, is how the 1030am tomorrow leak got out and spread like wildfire. To me, I think that leak, which was probably not started by a Nebraska or Akron official, did more damage than anything else that happened tonight. 

It was mentioned by a news reporter that Frost and Nebraska wanted to play at 10:30 today but Akron refused to play. 

• Plus1 1

8 hours ago, The Murphinator said:

All the fans should be refunded. People spent hundreds if not thousands of dollars to go to the game only to find out it is cancelled. Hopefully they do the right thing.

Yes that was me...not upset the weather delayed game last night, but highly upset 2 teams cannot turn around and play a game 15 hours later.

• Plus1 1

Think of the logistics of playing a game with 12 hours notice?  You would need all of the stadium workers available (ticket takers, concessions people, etc).  Would the concessions even have enough food/beverage after people hanging around in the concourse for 2.5 hours. All the police/security inside and outside the stadium that would need to be available.

There are thousands of people who work in/around the stadium.  Do you think they could have dropped everything and been available at 7am?

I get that Frost/Moos want to play, but I’m not sure it would even be able to pull off a game the next day w/o it being a major cluster-f in and around memorial stadium.

• Plus1 3
6 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Think of the logistics of playing a game with 12 hours notice?  You would need all of the stadium workers available (ticket takers, concessions people, etc).  Would the concessions even have enough food/beverage after people hanging around in the concourse for 2.5 hours. All the police/security inside and outside the stadium that would need to be available.

There are thousands of people who work in/around the stadium.  Do you think they could have dropped everything and been available at 7am?

I get that Frost/Moos want to play, but I’m not sure it would even be able to pull off a game the next day w/o it being a major cluster-f in and around memorial stadium.

As we’ve seen from our coaches and admin that are no longer with us, but are currently being paid millions $$$...   UNL has plenty of resources to get things done when they want.  They just didn’t make it happen this time.  Jokes on us.  

• Plus1 2

So your Akron.  It’s 10:00-10:30ish.  You need to find a hotel with around 50 rooms to accommodate your players, coaches, trainers, etc with a ballroom for breakfast.  So that eliminates anything in Lincoln so it’s back to Omaha.

You’d get in around what 1-2am.   Game scheduled at 10:30.  Need to have breakfast so your up at 5-5:30 so you can leave close to 7am to try to be in town a little after 8.  Then get ready again to play in two hours.  

Yep sounds easy and logical.  There was no way this was happening with such a long delay, so it isn’t that easy to move the game to the next day.

And as someone has mentioned that isn’t even thinking about the headaches on UNL’s side.  Stadium staffing and concessions would have been problematic.

• Plus1 3
1 minute ago, PaulCrewe said:

So your Akron.  It’s 10:00-10:30ish.  You need to find a hotel with around 50 rooms to accommodate your players, coaches, trainers, etc with a ballroom for breakfast.  So that eliminates anything in Lincoln so it’s back to Omaha.

You’d get in around what 1-2am.   Game scheduled at 10:30.  Need to have breakfast so your up at 5-5:30 so you can leave close to 7am to try to be in town a little after 8.  Then get ready again to play in two hours.  

Yep sounds easy and logical.  There was no way this was happening with such a long delay, so it isn’t that easy to move the game to the next day.

And as someone has mentioned that isn’t even thinking about the headaches on UNL’s side.  Stadium staffing and concessions would have been problematic.

You also have meals for last night...meals for after the game...did they fly in on their own plane?  I have no idea and if they did was that plan scheduled for anything today?  

Now you probably also end up with players being at different hotels which means keeping and eye on them is harder.

It is totally doable but also a huge pain in the ass especially with a short window.  

1 minute ago, teachercd said:

You also have meals for last night...meals for after the game...did they fly in on their own plane?  I have no idea and if they did was that plan scheduled for anything today?  

Now you probably also end up with players being at different hotels which means keeping and eye on them is harder.

It is totally doable but also a huge pain in the ass especially with a short window.  

They had their own chartered plane they flew into Epply, but no idea what other flight plans said plane/flight crew may have had for today as they were going to fly home after the game last night if it was played as scheduled.

And Akron, as well as any other college team,  would NOT split a team up to go to different hotels.

Again no way it was gonna happen that short noticed

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, PaulCrewe said:

They had their own chartered plane they flew into Epply, but no idea what other flight plans said plane/flight crew may have had for today as they were going to fly home after the game last night if it was played as scheduled.

And Akron, as well as any other college team,  would NOT split a team up to go to different hotels.

Again no way it was gonna happen that short noticed

Oh yeah, I agree with you.  It would have been a nightmare.  

5 minutes ago, Red Five said:

NCAA mandates a maximum of 12 games (unless you are making a road trip to Hawaii, then you can get 13).  So 99% of teams we share a bye with already have 12 games, and if one of them would agree to play there would probably have to be some waiver process.

The rules for FCS schools are probably different, and if the rule for bowl game eligibility is the same we can have 1 FCS win count. 

8 minutes ago, Red Five said:

NCAA mandates a maximum of 12 games (unless you are making a road trip to Hawaii, then you can get 13).  So 99% of teams we share a bye with already have 12 games, and if one of them would agree to play there would probably have to be some waiver process.

So.  We need to look at the teams that played Hawaii and see if any of them have their bye week the same as ours and did not schedule a 13th game....yeah, that’s  doable....

• Plus1 1
57 minutes ago, PaulCrewe said:

If this is how it went down, the BOLD bothers me the most.  I agree with all the difficulties with scheduling at the last minute, but there should have at least been a rudimentary plan in place by game time in case this game didn't get played.  I live in Lincoln, and this was not a surprise storm, people at work were talking about it's effect on the game on Wednesday and Thursday.

I honestly don't know if Moos had any backup plan, but it didn't seem like it, a lot of people (as already mentioned in this thread) sacrificed a lot beyond ticket prices to make it to the game.  I would hope moving forward, that if we know in advance of a storm, we would try to get some of the hotel rooms, meals etc. lined up in case of a worse case scenario.  Just my 2 cents.

• Plus1 3