Options for Game #12

Red Five

6 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I'm not as concerned with having an extra week to prep for Ohio State as just having a break in the middle of the season to rest and get healthy.

I get that but there are only 2 games on our schedule that could be considered guaranteed wins: Troy and Illinois. They rest are either guaranteed loses or toss ups at best. We will be playing with fire if we wait all the way to December to see if we need a game to get bowl eligible. Who knows if anyone will want to play that late in the season. If Akron is already bowl eligible, there is no way they will come back. Just saying getting to a bowl game is more important than a bye week IMO. 

48 minutes ago, Frott Scost said:

I get that but there are only 2 games on our schedule that could be considered guaranteed wins: Troy and Illinois. They rest are either guaranteed loses or toss ups at best. We will be playing with fire if we wait all the way to December to see if we need a game to get bowl eligible. Who knows if anyone will want to play that late in the season. If Akron is already bowl eligible, there is no way they will come back. Just saying getting to a bowl game is more important than a bye week IMO. 

I'm not saying we should wait all the way until December to decide.  We can be making the arrangements and getting everything together but wait until after we are eliminated from CCG participation to finalize everything.

• Plus1 1

Based on Scott Frost's 1:30 press conference a 12th game is not out of the question. Will it happen on the bye week? He wasn't excited about that option, but said  the players deserved to play all 12 games and he supports that happening. I think we may schedule a makeup game. I guess we will see something come out in the next few weeks if not sooner.

2 hours ago, Frott Scost said:

We will not beat OSU this season. Whether we have a bye week or not. It might be the difference between losing by 21 as opposed to losing by 28-35 but we will still get beat handily. We need the extra bowl prep very badly since we didnt get those extra practices last year. And with how hard our schedule is, we need all 12 games to get bowl eligible. If you have the opportunity to schedule a game, you NEED to do it. But like I said earlier, im guessing they wont try very hard and will only have 11 games. And if we only win 5, Moos will have a lot of pissed off people on his hands. 

I agree that getting bowl eligible is of paramount importance. If for no other reason than the extra practice time and additional game experience. But I'm also not too concerned about not winning 6+ with the 11 games we have. You're probably right that we're not going to beat tOSU this year but I guarantee Scott Frost and the team won't be approaching any game on the schedule with that attitude. So I would just as soon give the Buckeyes our best shot and an extra week of recovery and prep will afford us that opportunity. Now if CU knocks us off this week due to our cancelled game 1 and them making the 1st to 2nd game jump, then I might start getting concerned about reaching 7 wins. But I still have trouble seeing 4 losses on this schedule.

2 hours ago, Redux said:

I would love to play Iowa State as our 12th game.  Think of all the points and yards we could hang on them.

Not sure what point you are trying to make - ISU took Iowa to overtime last season, while we were embarrassed by the hawks. It would be of no benefit to schedule ISU and naively think it would be an automatic win.