Akron may not get their money

cheekygeek

36 minutes ago, chamrocck said:

Been hearing a rumor Akron kicked off quickly before ref signaled to kick it?  Theory is they kicked it to get their pay out knowing game would likely be cancelled.  Not sure if this has any merit but the source is typically solid.  

Not true.  I was watching the ref and he signaled ready for play.

I get why people are upset.  But really, playing the game really had no effect on the financial implications for either side.  I guess technically there was probably some lost concessions revenue for Nebraska but all the travel expenses and associated items for Akron were the same.  All the other income for Nebraska was the same.  I guess I don't think it's worth making a big deal about.

Perhaps there would be some slight discount.  But other than that, pay them the money and move on.

• Plus1 7

6 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Not true.  I was watching the ref and he signaled ready for play.

I get why people are upset.  But really, playing the game really had no effect on the financial implications for either side.  I guess technically there was probably some lost concessions revenue for Nebraska but all the travel expenses and associated items for Akron were the same.  All the other income for Nebraska was the same.  I guess I don't think it's worth making a big deal about.

Perhaps there would be some slight discount.  But other than that, pay them the money and move on.

Pay em expenses and a bit of a profit and let em move on.  Game was not played, nobody's fault and call it even.  Nobody wins nobody loses just like the record states.

Edited by HuskerInLostWages
Fat fingers phone keyboard.

If we don't pay them we'll forever be labeled untrustworthy. If I'm an AD at an out of conference school who Nebraska is courting, I would increase the price and demand payment prior to the season start. This could haunt program for years to come. And certainly Akron will not play us in Dec. Is it worth it?

• Plus1 3

2 minutes ago, Gage County said:

If we don't pay them we'll forever be labeled untrustworthy. If I'm an AD at an out of conference school who Nebraska is courting, I would increase the price and demand payment prior to the season start. This could haunt program for years to come. And certainly Akron will not play us in Dec. Is it worth it?

I don't think that's going to happen even if we don't pay them. I mean, even if any of those potential schools did care (instead of just thinking of this as a once in a lifetime occurrence), they would just try to add something in the contract about paying them even if there's a weather disaster.

2 hours ago, cheekygeek said:

What I think people are missing is: Why did NEBRASKA release the language of the contract?

Because they're a state-run organization and open record laws are a thing? They probably had people requesting it.

https://nebraska.edu/docs/legal/Public-Records-Requests-Guidance-V2.00.pdf

"Commonly requested public records are contracts, financial records, letters, and other forms of communication."

• Plus1 2
7 hours ago, Gage County said:

That was one of my first thoughts as well. Of course the likelihood of having another game cancelled within the next decade (or century) are 1 in a million, so it probably doesn't matter. 

It was an unfair situation, out of everyone's control. Are we the type of program that holds up our end of the agreement or are we the type that kicks and screams when we don't get our ball? Paying them is part of the deal, it's the least we can do to compensate them for time and travel, and it shows we're willing to work with other programs during unfair situations. It's not a huge hit to us financially, it's something we already had worked into the budget, and it's simply the right thing to do.

The only logical reason for us to put up a stink about this would be to get them to agree to a rematch at a lower rate, if anything at all. There's no reason we should pay them twice for one game.

I think it's being used as leverage in case we need to get a game in December 1. What incentive do they have to incur more travel costs to come back and play if they've already been paid? It is of no benefit to them. However, if we withhold payment until replayed or contingent on it being re-scheduled we have some leverage to get them back up here to play. Otherwise if i was them and already been paid and qualified for a bowl I'd say "no thanks".