Remembering the day college football’s Big Red Wall fell

Saunders

Nebraska’s scheduled opener against Akron was canceled last Saturday, which means the Scott Frost era will open this Saturday as the Huskers host Colorado (3:30 p.m. ET, ABC). The Frost era is supposed to be a long-awaited return to glory for Nebraska, when the favorite son at long last returns home, aged and enlightened from a journey that took him to faraway places like Oregon and Florida, to apply what he learned and make the Big Red as good as they were in the Old Days, back when life was simpler, children respected their elders and everything made sense.

And so it’s kind of fitting the New Era of Nebraska football will begin against Colorado, because it was Colorado who tore down the Big Red Wall in the first place.

http://footballscoop.com/news/remembering-day-college-footballs-big-red-wall-fell/

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

I have to say that if I had to point to the day "the music died" it would also be that day, so I agree with the basic point of the article. I felt that this had not been fixed when Melvin Gordon had his big game against Nebraska, and again last season when we got demolished by Minnesota (mostly on the ground: 45 carries, 409 yds [9.1 yds/carry], 6 TDs) . Hopefully, Scott Frost's understanding that the culture at Nebraska needs to change includes the importance of first stopping the run.

A victory over Colorado Buffaloes would be a wonderfully fitting start to Frost's tenure.

• Plus1 1

15 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Colorado Fan, who makes fun of Nebraska for "living in the 90s," has been all over this game on their message boards.

The 2001 was mentioned twice in the first six posts in the hate thread on Allbuffs that was linked in one of the other threads.

I guaran-damn-tee that after we beat CU on Saturday, there will be numerous Colorado fans who won't care because they can still revel in that one game. I used to go into sports bars in Boulder around 2003 or 2004ish and they would be replaying that particular game. That moment was the pinnacle of their entire putrid existence.

Even as lopsided as the all-time record is, they could be 1-100 lifetime against NU, and they would still say, "Yeah, well do you remember 2001?"

To end my rant, screw those asshats.

I am not inclined to click either.  I remember there being the slightest of silver linings in that our offense didn't pack it in that day.  It could have been even worse.

My favorite Colorado game featured Brook Berringer going off.  The ABC halftime show that day was all about the potent Colorado offense, which had maybe 3 points on the day by that point?