Adrian Martinez Injury

13 hours ago, HUSKER 37 said:

Even if he plays the whole game, do you think he'd have the green light for any designed run?  As thin as we are at QB, we might have to rethink the dual threat thing this season.

Think he will, with coaches emphasis on "slide" and run out of bounds. like others said here, he's not a Faberge egg. If he can run, he will, just has to be smart about it and not as reckless.

1 hour ago, Toe said:

He had two INTs, but he did complete 19 out of 27 - a 70% completion rate. With approximately one game each, Bunch has a QBR of 124 to Martinez's 160. It seemed like the line was holding up better against Colorado than Troy, though, so that's something to consider.

The problem with that QB rating is it only looks at passing plays.  When he actually threw the ball he did OK.  But he didn't really make very many plays in the passing game either.

However, there were a couple times when he should have thrown the ball away instead of taking a sack.  That isn't measured in that rating.  And by most accounts he wasn't running the zone read correctly either which hurt the offense.

I'm not completely sold on ESPN's QBR but it at least tries to take all plays into account.  It's on a 1-100 scale with 50 being average.  Martinez is at 65.4.  Bunch is at 24.2.  I think that would be pretty accurate in this case.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Redux said:

Well when compared to Tanner Lee, yeah he was decent.

I'm comparing him to Tommy Armstrong, Taylor Martinez, and well....pretty much every veteran starting quarterback who had worse games against middling competition. Not only statistically, but the eyeball test. 

Bunch did not look lost or particularly panicky. He ran fine on his two designed runs, but it's understandable why the play-calling protected him. He completed the safe passes, but that's exactly what they're designed for, a distinction Tommy Armstrong never quite understood. The penalties weren't on Bunch, and frankly Adrian Martinez put the ball on the ground more often, and was saved from a really ill-advised interception when his knee touched the ground. 

I'll take Martinez every day of the week, but I think there's been a lot of piling on Bunch, as if he can explain away the loss. I saw a pretty solid back up, myself. 

• Plus1 1

20 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I'm comparing him to Tommy Armstrong, Taylor Martinez, and well....pretty much every veteran starting quarterback who had worse games against middling competition. Not only statistically, but the eyeball test. 

Bunch did not look lost or particularly panicky. He ran fine on his two designed runs, but it's understandable why the play-calling protected him. He completed the safe passes, but that's exactly what they're designed for, a distinction Tommy Armstrong never quite understood. The penalties weren't on Bunch, and frankly Adrian Martinez put the ball on the ground more often, and was saved from a really ill-advised interception when his knee touched the ground. 

I'll take Martinez every day of the week, but I think there's been a lot of piling on Bunch, as if he can explain away the loss. I saw a pretty solid back up, myself. 

Man. Don’t agree with this at all. I don’t think Taylor Martinez ever looked as bad, because he made up for his bad decision making with his running ability.

Also, although I only watched the game once, it seemed like at least half of Bunch’s completions were quick little passes to the sideline. That means they pad the stats, and I don’t know what his YPA was but I’m guessing it wasn’t high due to this. 

I don’t think he looked as good as Armstrong either and I was never terribly impressed with him. Again, you have to take into account the whole package. If you’re bad at running then everything else becomes more important, and he wasn’t better than Taylor Martinez or Tommy Armstrong at the everything else, imo.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Am I the only guy who didn't think Bunch was that awful last week?

He gave it the 'ol college try.  But, he really ham strung the offense and did not run it well.  I'm not willing to totally throw him under the bus because he was put in a very difficult situation where prior to the season, he wasn't getting many reps with the 1s.  Then, after one game, he's thrown into the starting spot.

So, I'm not willing to say it's because he's a horrible QB or that he has no talent.  He just obviously didn't have enough practice or something to be efficient running the offense.

21 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I think you need to rewatch the game with a critical eye and watching certain plays multiple times to see what is going on.  A prime example is the last interception.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, admo said:

I watched the game several times.  Some bad things, yes.  But for a first time college starter without the amount of preparation that's invested in first year starters, he really didn't do too bad.  He made some pretty good throws at times.  You knew there would be some mistakes.  As Frost has said at the beginning of the year, they will go through them (young players).  Throwing the ball away would've helped.  And the line didn't do him too many favors.  Also difficult when you are down by 17.  But they rallied and got close and had plenty of time to win it.  Would have liked to see how he would do with a lead and good ground game. 

So yeah, he did alright. 

I was more upset with special teams, missing a gimme FG, the blocking (and TE's), penalties, play calls & RB rotation specifically in the redzone. We left a lot of points off the board when we couldn't punch in 2 touchdowns.  Is that all on Bunch?  No.  Heck he didn't even throw a pick in that dangerous area like some of our past starters have done before him.  And he did throw a really pass to Morgan for a TD. 

Don't forget, it was 4th down and 4, with the Huskers having to go for it because of the time and being behind.  Check out that awesome pass to Rafdal who made a splendid catch.  They converted and he threw another TD (to Speilman) in an area that were picked off by previous starting QBs.  So yeah, he did some good things out there.  It wasn't like it was all bad as some suggest.

Kids' a walkon.  He wasn't ever expected to lead the team on Saturdays.  Should prolly cut him a little slack.

+1

From the Michigan blog @Saunders posted

wsradm6.png

DO - Dead on; CA - Catchable; SCR - Scramble; PR - Pressure; MA - Marginal; BA - Batted; TA - Thrown away/Unproductive run/Avoidable Sack; IN - Inaccuratel BR - Bad Read

DSR - Downfield Success Rate

So from this guys judgement - it's a really in-depth article, if you haven't read it you should - Bunch had more in the Bad category than good and had a significant drop-off in rating compared to Martinez.

• Plus1 3

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Is Bunch better than say a Ryker Fyfe?  Yes.

But in terms of comparing him to 4 year starters because "Hey, he didn't look shakey" it's not really fair.  Good for him that he was more calm and collected in certain situations than many of our recent backups.  That said, he threw a lot of balls into tight spots that I did not enjoy.  Very Tommy Armstron-esque if you will.  A better defense would have had a field day with him.  And yeah the blocking and TE problems etc.  He did keep a drive alive on a 4th and forever and got us into a position at the end.  But it took the entire game before that happened, he didn't account for any points until how deep into the game?

Yes, he is a capable backup.  But there are obvious reasons he was 3rd string.

20 minutes ago, Redux said:

Is Bunch better than say a Ryker Fyfe?  Yes.

But in terms of comparing him to 4 year starters because "Hey, he didn't look shakey" it's not really fair.  Good for him that he was more calm and collected in certain situations than many of our recent backups.  That said, he threw a lot of balls into tight spots that I did not enjoy.  Very Tommy Armstron-esque if you will.  A better defense would have had a field day with him.  And yeah the blocking and TE problems etc.  He did keep a drive alive on a 4th and forever and got us into a position at the end.  But it took the entire game before that happened, he didn't account for any points until how deep into the game?

Yes, he is a capable backup.  But there are obvious reasons he was 3rd string.

I don't know if Bunch is better than Fyfe.  But I would say that Fyfe would have done a better job in this offense compared to the one he was asked to run under Riley.

1 hour ago, Cdog923 said:

This is the dumbest nickname for any Husker QB in recent memory. 

Dumber than T-Magic? Dumber than T-Mart.....or A-Magic or A-Mart? I don’t think so.

But yes, dumber than Lee Magic Pick Six Machine. That was spot on.

Really, I like 2AM or Closing Time but hopefully something better comes along.