What did we learn? - Game 1 - Colorado

suh_fan93

5 minutes ago, chamrocck said:

While I do think we are improving (a Riley team loses this game by 20), the sloppy football cost us this game.  I called the L in the third qtr and I haven't missed many over the years.  This game was just sloppy and it cost us big. 

I think it was obvious not having that first game did not serve us well as we had no chance to work out sloppy issues and we started poorly.

Turnovers killed us spotting CU 14 points and taking points away from us.

Key drops by our receivers at huge times (one on a TD and another on a huge 3rd down)

The penalties hurt us.  I do think the Reed call was garbage.  He was just using his hands and the CU WR got the flop call.  Should have been no flag.

We didn't do a good job stopping CU on key third downs from them.  

That option play needs to go...I think we lost yards every time we tried it.  

The sacks by our defense were a good sign and glad to see.  Probably the brightest spot of the entire game for us.  

When I saw it live, I was all WTH!!!  Re-play, I agree.  He was coming in and threw his hands up full speed (as he should've been going) pull him into the receiver.  Poor call.  Bam/bam it looked bad, but shouldn't have been called IMO.

A lot to love about the long term.

Center might be a position that needs to get looked at from a pro football focus perspective. Boe Wilson or John Raridon should be gunning for CC's spot.

O-line as a whole needs a little work with how many shots our QB's were taking.

An opener against Akron would have really helped to work out these mistakes.

7 Sacks? These guys were phenomenal.

• Plus1 1

I will start with some positives.

1.  D-Line looked better than I have seen in quite some time.

2.  The rushing attack (when properly used) can be the team's strength this year.

3.  Lightbourn looked pretty good.

The Negatives.

1.  Overall NU was out-coached the entire 2nd half

2.  Special teams looked pathetic outside of Lightbourn.

3.  This team has continued the tradition from Pelini and Riley of too many mistakes (3 turnovers, too many penalties)

4.  Really poor clock management in the 2nd half.

5 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I will start with some positives.

1.  D-Line looked better than I have seen in quite some time.

2.  The rushing attack (when properly used) can be the team's strength this year.

3.  Lightbourn looked pretty good.

The Negatives.

1.  Overall NU was out-coached the entire 2nd half

2.  Special teams looked pathetic outside of Lightbourn.

3.  This team has continued the tradition from Pelini and Riley of too many mistakes (3 turnovers, too many penalties)

4.  Really poor clock management in the 2nd half.

Getting that badly out coached in the second half was my biggest issue. 7 points after a 200+ yards rushing in the first half is just horrible. I think they got a little to conservative on both sides of the ball.

Our play calling strategy of just mowing down Colorado's front 7 worked well in the first half. The issue is that it did take a while, but Colorado eventually caught on and stuffed us, preventing us from scoring. Yet we just kept beating a dead horse. And that is what ultimately got our QB hurt as well. You gotta change it up when the defense catches up. Play calling was questionable.