What did we learn? - Game 1 - Colorado

suh_fan93

I learned that our fans continue to be fickle in spite of all the promises made on the Scott Frost Mega thread about how we will support him no matter what-we just want our team to play competitively. Well, they did and there were still those who b——- and moaned!

I learned that Scott is not a god and it’s the unrealistic expectations placed on him by the fans (e.g. He walks on water in the state of Nebraska) not anything he’s done that created that false picture. Good grief! Stop and think of all he and his staff have had to undo!  Poor strength and conditioning, horrendous lack of solid coaching-he’s had to tear down all of the bad habits from the previous staff and basically start all over!

I learned that we have some very young but very passionate young men who want to win. They never gave up. It was so incredibly refreshing to watch them play and a heck of a lot of fun. 

We will only get better.  GBR!!!

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 2

I learned I can still enjoy Husker football. Despite the loss, it was great to see aggression on defense and some confidence and swagger on offense. Now that the first game is in the books, this team can learn from its mistakes and grow. Hopefully Martinez isn’t out for a long time, but if he is the other play makers will have to fill the void. All in all I am very encouraged by what I saw. GBR!

• Plus1 1
18 minutes ago, ladyhawke said:

I learned that our fans continue to be fickle in spite of all the promises made on the Scott Frost Mega thread about how we will support him no matter what-we just want our team to play competitively. Well, they did and there were still those who b——- and moaned!

I learned that Scott is not a god and it’s the unrealistic expectations placed on him by the fans (e.g. He walks on water in the state of Nebraska) not anything he’s done that created that false picture. Good grief! Stop and think of all he and his staff have had to undo!  Poor strength and conditioning, horrendous lack of solid coaching-he’s had to tear down all of the bad habits from the previous staff and basically start all over!

I learned that we have some very young but very passionate young men who want to win. They never gave up. It was so incredibly refreshing to watch them play and a heck of a lot of fun. 

We will only get better.  GBR!!!

Agree, frankly it’s rather disturbing. Luckily those fans griping make up .5% of the actual fan base. I mentioned in another thread- some fans need to find more hobbies and interests outside of husker football.

sure, it’s great to have passion and really care for husker football but at the end of the day it’s 18-22 year olds playing a game. None of which woke up Saturday wanting to lose the game. 

Keyboard warriors who have probably never played a snap of football themselves but think they’re the second coming of bill Walsh.

• Plus1 1

I agree with what HuskerJax said... I actually enjoyed watching this game from Riga, Latvia live... at 2 a.m. despite losing. I cannot remember the last time I just had fun watching a Nebraska game regardless of the outcome. Maybe I am losing my bias, but the game was fun to watch... especially the 4th down in the trenches back and forth toward the end... two teams just grinding it back and forth.

good stuff! 

I could go without 3 turnovers... and maybe just get one back, but meh.

For Scott Frost, I imagine that the game felt how I have felt at the blackjack table at times. You think, you got this... dealer showing a 6, and you have twenty showing. Easy money. Then the dealer reveals a 4, then draws and ace and a ten and you think... Jesus... I just cannot win. The dealer kept hitting time and time again last night, and all Frost could do was think... what the f#&% do I have to do to win this game? QB injury was the final bust.

Although I was impressed with Turman's confidence and poise. 

33 minutes ago, SandHills Pete said:

We learned that it is going to be a long year..    despite the best players and coach that Nebraska Tax money can buy, 

Hate to break it to you, Pete, but there is no Nebraska tax money that goes into the Athletic Department.  It's a self-funded venture, and actually gives $ back to the academic side of the University.  But, keep sitting on your high horse and talk about your tax money paying for Coach Frost and the players.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1

I really liked how both lines pushed the pile. Martinez made some great runs and throws. It took a combination of bad things to lose this game. Pick any one of the following and we win:

• Make the FG
  • Don't drop the TD pass
  • Don't drop the 1st down pass
  • Don't get called for a penalty on 4th and 24
  • Don't snap the ball with 20 seconds on the clock when you have the lead
  • Don't have 3 TOs

We should have curb stomped those buffoons. Huskers had nearly 300 more rushing yards and 7 sacks. Every break went the vermin's way. The wins will come. It will take a while to wash away the stink of SE and MR. And by the way, it could be the Solich curse.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
16 hours ago, JimmyBuckets said:

1. We can actually get QB pressure.

2. We have a run game.

3. Ozigbo is the best option to get us a solid 5 yards or convert a 4th down.

4. Martinez will be a very good long term QB for us (assuming he stays healthy...)

Yeah I agree. Was thinking to myself, don't make the mistakes Bo did with Cross, on short yardage.  Miss Bryant, as i know he would have taken it to the house on the times Bell got loose.

GBR!!!