We have a serious quarterback depth problem

Hayseed

I reeeally don't think anyone is arguing that our qb depth situation is good or ideal here.  If AM is down for any period of time we're going to be throwing together some patchwork backups...and that most likely will suck as much as the patchwork deck my brother-in-law threw up behind his house.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, husker98 said:

the long term out look at the position is fine, recruiting at QB has been very good. The problem is what do we do in the short term. And that is a very good question. I feel the best answer is to work over time on the NCAA to get vedral eligible and then let bunch and vedral fight it out for #1. 

But really thats not ideal, so there is no perfect silver bullet fix to this problem that anyone would really like.

Short term for the coaches should have figured out how not to go from 4 scholarship QB’s in December to only 1

There is no evidence that Vedral will be good.

Long term, our next scholarship QB may not even play QB in college

The next one is still 2 years away from getting to campus

Its a problem

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
3 minutes ago, Undone said:

What we don't have to convince ourselves of is that anything can happen.

We saw in the spring game and yesterday that Bunch has good footwork and throws an accurate ball. He also has a serious competitor's attitude and focus towards the game. He'll get blitzed a ton, but that's where Frost & Co. can sweep in to draw up plays to exploit that.

But yes, we do have a quarterback depth problem if Martinez is out for more than just the Troy game. Meaning that after him, there's obviously just Bunch and Masker in the QB room.

He wasn’t allowed to be tackled and he was going against a defense that still gives up a mile in the passing game.  I’m just not putting a lot of stock into that spring game performance 

13 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

How so?  It's completely possible Bunch gets hurt against Troy.  I don't care how great the back-up plays.  Simple math shows we have a depth problem at QB.

not many teams can lose a qb or 2 without being left wondering how good their situation is.

• Plus1 1
33 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

How so?  It's completely possible Bunch gets hurt against Troy.  I don't care how great the back-up plays.  Simple math shows we have a depth problem at QB.

If he catches that we probably run the clock out and win. Bunch and Masker would have a week to get reps in practice and vs Troy. Coming off a win people are positive. I'm not saying the problem goes away I'm just saying people look at it with a different perspective. 

1 hour ago, Atbone95 said:

Cam Taylor is now our 2nd string QB, I believe. 

I didn't know about this guy....thanks for posting.

Oh and, this thread is not to say I don't have confidence in Bunch.....it's just to acknowledge the reality that the BIG is full of 350 lb guys whose main talent is falling on people and we need to be prepared for that.

• Haha 1

Besides bunch lack of talent compared to Martinez my biggest concern is how much of the offense he knows. I Dont think they have a lot of the offense installed even when Martinez is in there because after being unstoppable in the first half the offense didn't do much in the second half after Colorado made adjustments. 

If you combine a walk on qb with a stripped down offense that was already vanilla it will get bad on offense. Martinez needs to heal up quickly.

40 minutes ago, commando said:

not many teams can lose a qb or 2 without being left wondering how good their situation is.

I hate to say it and sound like a smart a$$, but teams that are in the hunt for the NC.....Depth is a problem for NU in several positions across the board.  It sucks, but it's reality.  We are still 2-3 years with having 2 deep at each position....We are definitely moving in a positive direction.

Regarding QB's at NU.  Frost and Co got their guy in AM.  They had POB and TG on scholarship as well.  Probably didn't feel the need to grab another guy this class.  With the attrition, and they had, we would still be in a similar position.  Another true fresh (who might or might not have become the #2 after fall camp) trying to get snaps.