We have a serious quarterback depth problem

Hayseed

On 9/9/2018 at 6:46 PM, lo country said:

Huh?  It's an internet board.  Take a breath........People are talking options, worse case scenarios...We actually had two guys training for this role.  One got hurt and one quit.....Bunch's reps were limited when it became a two person race.  So yea, he's been on the team, participated in practice, but as far as  "training for" and being "ready for" might be two different things. In a recent interview Frost commented on Bunch looking better.  Bunch said because he as throwing again....IIRC this was last week after TG left....

So what's your solution?

Well duh obviously we take DNA from Turner Gill, Eric Crouch, Tommie Frazier, and Scott Frost to create a superquarterback metahuman who is faster and stronger than Superman, The Flash, Batman, and rest of the Justice League combined!!!  That's the only logical and reasonable solution there is. 

• Plus1 2

I'm surprised that anyone is surprised by this.  Going back to 2000, how many times have we not been a 1 qb team?  Zac Lee was a capable backup for TMart, but that's about it.  Keller had Ganz, but quite honestly it should have been the other way around and I wouldnt have called Keller a capable backup.  

We went from 2013 to 2017 without having a single HS quarterback recruit become a starter.  This is nothing new.  

9 minutes ago, Crazyhole said:

This is nothing new.  

I think the more interesting part to this conversation is how coaches will manage the situation moving forward.

If two players are very close from a performance standpoint, it's possible more and more coaches continue to delay the starting announcement in order to protect depth. That's essentially what Saban has done this year at Alabama. He'd probably never admit it, but there's no denying the convenience of the 'qb battle' they have going on down there.

Personally, I don't think Frost would view that as a morally acceptable decision, but I think a lot of fans wouldn't really mind it that much if it meant the team was ultimately better and it gave the team better chances to win.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, Enhance said:

I think the more interesting part to this conversation is how coaches will manage the situation moving forward.

If two players are very close from a performance standpoint, it's possible more and more coaches continue to delay the starting announcement in order to protect depth. That's essentially what Saban has done this year at Alabama. He'd probably never admit it, but there's no denying the convenience of the 'qb battle' they have going on down there.

Personally, I don't think Frost would view that as a morally acceptable decision, but I think a lot of fans wouldn't really mind it that much if meant the team was ultimately better and it gave the team better chances to win.

frost is a straight shooter......i imagine Saban's tactics will cost him eventually. 

3 minutes ago, Hunter94 said:

POB had a chance to play for Riley.......he couldn't produce......yes, he needed to go.

I must have missed his "chance" he got from Riley.  He was a 60% passer while receiving very few practice reps from what I heard about Riley's practice structure.  30 attempts doesn't seem like enough to be able to judge his production.

17 minutes ago, Hunter94 said:

frost is a straight shooter......i imagine Saban's tactics will cost him eventually. 

You may be right. The key is that both quarterbacks would need to be visibly similar on the performance scale. Otherwise, the team would pick up on the BS (much like what some said happened during the '07 battle between Keller and Ganz.)

26 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Personally, I don't think Frost would view that as a morally acceptable decision, but I think a lot of fans wouldn't really mind it that much if it meant the team was ultimately better and it gave the team better chances to win.

If Frost wants to succeed here, he's going to have to sacrifice some morals to make it happen

On 9/9/2018 at 11:25 AM, StPaulHusker said:

Short term for the coaches should have figured out how not to go from 4 scholarship QB’s in December to only 1

There is no evidence that Vedral will be good.

Long term, our next scholarship QB may not even play QB in college

The next one is still 2 years away from getting to campus

Its a problem

I think Frost should have contacted Goodell and the NCAA to block players from leaving early for the NFL draft or to transfer from a team. Then, we would have Lee, O'Brien, and Gebbia still, and everyone would be talking about how perfect those three are for this system. Also, would it kill Frost to recruit 2-3 QBs every cycle? I mean, who thinks we need to only recruit 1 QB per cycle anyway? That is a losing strategy. Pile up QBs like corkwood imo.

Frost really has no idea how to develop or manage QBs.

:D

:sarcasm

• Plus1 2
On 9/9/2018 at 8:47 PM, Hayseed said:

I’ve iterated that I think Andrew Bunch is not your average walkon and now deserves a scholarship. This thread has more to do with the nature of the iceberg league causing injuries and the need to have plenty of options.

I’m not so naive that I think Frost and Co are not addressing this very thing, I just know that many people here are more knowledgeable about the details and wondered where they might be looking.

Here’s a brain teaser...... would Pat O’ Brien have left if he knew CandyPants Gebbia would go skipping off to The Land of Make Believe one week before the first game? My gut says no, he would’ve played against Colorado.

Dont mistake this as any disatisfaction with Frost.... I am overjoyed with the effort and style of play I saw Saturday.... relieved really. I knew this would be a building and straightening year.

It is a pity that we can't transfer TG's scholarship to Bunch. I would like the following rule:

Any transfer after 01 June - the school the player is going to loses a scholarship, and the school losing the current player gains two scholarships.