We have a serious quarterback depth problem

Hayseed

20 hours ago, Mavric said:

Wow.  I'm not trying to pile on the guy but the people who have been trying to say "Bunch had an OK game" really don't know what was actually going on.

3rd quarter, 4:44 to play, we run a zone read look.  I have no idea what the play was supposed to be but there is a HUGE hole right where Washington was headed.  Instead Bunch pulls the ball and pass sets like he's looking for a receiver.  But the receivers are all blocking.  Bunch seems to finally figure out his mistake and pulls the ball down.  He starts to run left where there is a little bit of room but then seems to realize that the play was supposed to go to the right where Washington was headed so he cuts back that direction.  There is so much of a hole there that he is still able to get three yards but I don't see anyone who was going to tackle Washington if he gives it to him initially. 

S3fDvxo.png

This is called a busted play. Bunch’s first half ever was not good, he’s a freaking walkon, he improved in the second half ... but it’s still the offense that is designed for a star running quarterback that is the culprit.

Why can’t our starting running back Bell run? Why does everyone make excuses for him? I think Washington would be great in a spread Oregon style offense, but we don’t have that.... we run the draw play behind an ordinary line and pretend it’s power I.

They should’ve brought in a fullback to block and aired it out against the mighty Troy secondary. What’s gonna happen with another gimpy Martinez running zone read? Will he become a pro style pocket passer like the last one? I hope not but that looks like where we’re headed this year.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Hayseed said:

This is called a busted play. Bunch’s first half ever was not good, he’s a freaking walkon, he improved in the second half ... but it’s still the offense that is designed for a star running quarterback that is the culprit.

Why can’t our starting running back Bell run? Why does everyone make excuses for him? I think Washington would be great in a spread Oregon style offense, but we don’t have that.... we run the draw play behind an ordinary line and pretend it’s power I.

They should’ve brought in a fullback to block and aired it out against the mighty Troy secondary. What’s gonna happen with another gimpy Martinez running zone read? Will he become a pro style pocket passer like the last one? I hope not but that looks like where we’re headed this year.

Who is pretending this is the power I?

1 hour ago, Making Chimichangas said:

I'm defining bust as in they were recruited, and for whatever reason(s) it didn't work out for Nebraska.  Does the reason really matter?

The point is, we have signed many 4 :star QBs in recent years and none of them won the starting job or stuck around long enough. 

Lots of hype + never starting/transferring out = Bust

And as for Starling, that fiasco was squarely on Bo Pelini.  If there is a chance a player (especially a QB) will opt for professional baseball (or any other pro sport) you stop recruiting him and move on.

So you’re referring to the recruitment and retention of a player to decide if they were a bust.  I understand now.

1 hour ago, Making Chimichangas said:

And as for Starling, that fiasco was squarely on Bo Pelini.  If there is a chance a player (especially a QB) will opt for professional baseball (or any other pro sport) you stop recruiting him and move on.

Completely disagree.  It's basically the same risk/reward gamble as recruiting an academic risk.  You have to have a backup plan but it's a great way to have an in on a guy others might not be as interested in.

See: Maruice Washington

• Plus1 1
59 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

What in the heck are you talking about?

What do you mean Bell can't run?  He had some very nice runs in this game.  Who's making excuses for him?  And for what?

Washington would be great in an Oregon style offense.  We happen to be running an Oregon style offense.  And he's been great.  Both of them have averaged over six yards per carry in a game already.  And I don't know if we've even run a draw to a running back this year.

I think you need to take a breath.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

2 hours ago, Gage County said:

Turner Gill holding on line 2

Charlie Ward holding on line 3

gill_basesball.jpg.f1448922b7dbe11f64c3d9dd705caaa9.jpg

I said pro baseball.  If Starling, or Crawford for that matter, had wanted to come to NU to play football AND baseball...okay fine.

But both those guys were going pro and all Bo did by continuing to recruit Starling was screw himself over because he had no QB depth.  

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

What in the heck are you talking about?

What do you mean Bell can't run?  He had some very nice runs in this game.  Who's making excuses for him?  And for what?

Washington would be great in an Oregon style offense.  We happen to be running an Oregon style offense.  And he's been great.  Both of them have averaged over six yards per carry in a game already.  And I don't know if we've even run a draw to a running back this year.

I think you need to take a breath.

Our running game is a scissors draw... except without Martinez we only have half a scissor.

There was one series when they decided they were tired of this crap and told him to just hand it to Bell on three called runs and take control of the game on the ground. 3 runs and a punt. 

Same as with TMart, our runners only seem to run well when they have a qb who can take it to the house and has to be accounted for.

I don’t know how good our RBs are but it don’t seem like Ameer is out there.

They were supposed to carry the load... how many times did they take it down and score?

Seems like they better draw up something besides hoping the superstar quarterback will do it all. I didn’t for a second expect our walkon to be anything but serviceable. I knew he would make mistakes and was hoping they’d do something to limit those.

We got out coached.

Crazy what anyone would expect with a walk-on. 

Srsly, a walk-on. 

Still have to run the offense you practice, can’t just “draw some stuff up”. Hope for limited mistakes and a few good bounces to even have a chance to win....with a walkon 

• Plus1 1

Bunch did about as well as i expected him to do so far, and i don't see him becoming Tom Brady-ish any time soon. If Martinez doesn't get hurt and Gebbia stays, Bunch probably wouldn't have ever taken a game snap for the Huskers. Hes a big step down from Martinez, but he's all we have, and  i'm really hoping he doesn't get hurt too, we’ll be screwed.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Mavric said:

Completely disagree.  It's basically the same risk/reward gamble as recruiting an academic risk.  You have to have a backup plan but it's a great way to have an in on a guy others might not be as interested in.

See: Maruice Washington

The problem was, in the case of Bubba Starling, there was no backup plan.  ?Or maybe Jamal Turner was the backup plan?  Oh well, water under the bridge now. 

I just hope going forward that Nebraska signs a QB in every single recruiting class.

Question for all the research and stats wonks out there: For the QB position, do 4 :star have a higher transfer rate than 3 :star?  Of course you'll probably have to scale it for porportion...I would think anyway--because there are more 3 star ranked players at any given position than there are 4 stars. 

8 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

The problem was, in the case of Bubba Starling, there was no backup plan.  ?Or maybe Jamal Turner was the backup plan?  Oh well, water under the bridge now. 

I mean, we had Taylor Martinez coming off his freshman year.  So we didn't exactly need someone immediately.  We also had Cody Green (Soph) and Brion Carnes (Freshman) who was still a possibility already on the team.  

14 hours ago, Hayseed said:

Our running game is a scissors draw... except without Martinez we only have half a scissor.

There was one series when they decided they were tired of this crap and told him to just hand it to Bell on three called runs and take control of the game on the ground. 3 runs and a punt. 

Same as with TMart, our runners only seem to run well when they have a qb who can take it to the house and has to be accounted for.

I don’t know how good our RBs are but it don’t seem like Ameer is out there.

They were supposed to carry the load... how many times did they take it down and score?

Seems like they better draw up something besides hoping the superstar quarterback will do it all. I didn’t for a second expect our walkon to be anything but serviceable. I knew he would make mistakes and was hoping they’d do something to limit those.

We got out coached.

Amazing how when an offense is designed to have certain weapons and when one of those weapons is not available, the offense doesn't work as well.

Funny how that works.

• Plus1 3
6 minutes ago, Mavric said:

There isn't any "right way to do it". If the QB wants to transfer, he's going to leave.  Playing both for a couple games makes no difference.

The only difference I would point out is Bryant is a Senior and that makes things a bit more urgent for him. But regardless this is the nature of this position in college football.