Troy Depth Chart - no changes

knapplc

5 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

Guys who might get their spot taken:

Lamar Jackson

Antonio Reed 

Yeah I'm not the biggest fan of Jackson.  For someone his size he should be laying the wood.  At this point if he doesn't have himself a great game against a "lesser" opponent in Troy I think coach should go with the next option.  Maybe that will light a fire under him.  Bootle isn't even as big and he was coming up and popping guys and taking on blocks like you should.

Lamar Jackson should be playing WR or some other position on offense.  He just doesn't have the mentality to play defense, particularly CB.  I am not blaming LJ at all--the fault is on the previous staff, they basically ruined him.

As far as Antonio Reed, from what I can tell I don't think he played poorly although he did have that one untimely gaff.  But if the coaches replace him then I trust their judgment.

8 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

Lamar Jackson should be playing WR or some other position on offense.  He just doesn't have the mentality to play defense, particularly CB.  I am not blaming LJ at all--the fault is on the previous staff, they basically ruined him.

As far as Antonio Reed, from what I can tell I don't think he played poorly although he did have that one untimely gaff.  But if the coaches replace him then I trust their judgment.

Totally agree with LJ - he seems to be a great athlete, however needs a total reset.  Reed had a really solid game and I can't see him being taken off the field - that sends a message that doesn't go with the theme of go at 100% and playing with no fear of failure.

• Fire 1

Jackson is one of the most frustrating players to follow on the team.  The guy seems like he does and says everything right in the off season, only to get to games and plays so tentatively.

Now, I will say, I saw some plays last week from him where he came up and made tackles that we would not have seen last year.  But, he could do so much more.

On the other side of the field is a kid who is flying around, hitting people and making plays going 100 mph.....and he was barely recruited out of HS.  The only way we found him was a satellite camp in Florida and he was fast.

If we can get that play out of a low 3* guy, imagine what this team could be if we got similar type of play out of our highly rated players.  Jackson is one player in a long line of highly recruited players that come in and don't live up to the hype.  That doesn't mean we should stop recruiting those type of players and only recruit low 3* players.  It means that I hope we have a staff that can get the most out of players no matter what type of player they are coming out of HS.

44 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Jackson is one of the most frustrating players to follow on the team.  The guy seems like he does and says everything right in the off season, only to get to games and plays so tentatively.

Now, I will say, I saw some plays last week from him where he came up and made tackles that we would not have seen last year.  But, he could do so much more.

On the other side of the field is a kid who is flying around, hitting people and making plays going 100 mph.....and he was barely recruited out of HS.  The only way we found him was a satellite camp in Florida and he was fast.

If we can get that play out of a low 3* guy, imagine what this team could be if we got similar type of play out of our highly rated players.  Jackson is one player in a long line of highly recruited players that come in and don't live up to the hype.  That doesn't mean we should stop recruiting those type of players and only recruit low 3* players.  It means that I hope we have a staff that can get the most out of players no matter what type of player they are coming out of HS.

On the second watching (although it's not always easy to see the corners), I thought Jackson was fine. His mistakes just seem to always show up - the complete whiff on their first offensive play looked like last year, but I'm sure he was a little too amped up and Nixon is not an easy guy to tackle in the open field. He bit hard on the flea flicker, but based on Bottle and the Safety being in position to make the play I don't know what Jackson's responsibilities were on that play. He had a holding call in the 3rd quarter, but that was pretty questionable IMO. Huard blamed him for the 3rd and 19 conversion, but I'm not sure if that was his zone or Williams'.

Bootle was much more physical getting off blocks and tackling, and is without a doubt our #1 corner. But Jackson doesn't worry me nearly as much as last season, and he definitely wasn't a huge problem on Saturday.