Hurricane Florence could add to list of possible NU Game 12 opponents

cheekygeek

1 hour ago, StPaulHusker said:

No doubt in my mind that Tennessee St would take a long look at a $1M payday

The problem with Tennessee St. (at least in my mind), is that they are in what used to be called NCAA Division 1-AA (not 1-A). They've changed the name, but they are still in a lower tier.

9 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

Zero chance on UCF. I get why its a fun "talking point" but it just wont happen.

I actually would prefer if we wouldnt schedule on the bye week. Give our guys a week to rest. Lets shoot for Dec 1 for a beatable team.

Only issue with that would be weather but I like that idea more. 

December 1 is fine but I really don't think it's going to matter when we play at this point.  The goal is, unfortunately, 6 wins.  Get them as soon as you can

1 hour ago, cheekygeek said:

The problem with Tennessee St. (at least in my mind), is that they are in what used to be called NCAA Division 1-AA (not 1-A). They've changed the name, but they are still in a lower tier.

One FCS game counts towards bowl eligibility.  Why make this more difficult than it needs to be?  SEC & ACC teams aren't getting penalized for it either.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

10 hours ago, Hans Gruber said:

If I was a betting man, I'd say that Nebraska will play Tennessee State Oct. 27. Tennessee State is really bad and would almost certainly be the worst team Nebraska has played since Idaho State in 2012.

That may seem dirty or distasteful, but Nebraska is going to schedule a win. If not an FCS team, then ECU would probably work too. It won't be UCF. Zero chance this year. Maybe in 2022 when all the players Frost recruited are gone.

This is just my opinion and I'm not saying that I'll be upset if Nebraska does this (especially considering the circumstances), but if you have to rely on beating an FCS team to become bowl eligible you don't really deserve to go to one.

2 minutes ago, jsneb83 said:

This is just my opinion and I'm not saying that I'll be upset if Nebraska does this (especially considering the circumstances), but if you have to rely on beating an FCS team to become bowl eligible you don't really deserve to go to one.

Yeah, it's definitely going to "look bad" if we have to schedule an FCS team late to get a sixth win.  

I'm not necessarily against it but I still don't think we'll need it.  I expect to beat Troy, Purdue, Northwestern, Minnesota and Illinois.  That means we'd need one win out of Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio State, Michigan State and Iowa.  I don't think Michigan State or Iowa are any more than a toss up for us based on what we've seen so far.  And Michigan and Wisconsin would be upsets but not greatly so.

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, jsneb83 said:

I would bet that most coaches that get to only 6 wins doesn't feel like they deserve to go to a bowl game either.  But they do look at the opportunity of getting another 3-4 weeks of practice time.  And considering the youth on our team with a new coach, Frost probably sees this as an opportunity to build into next year.

• Plus1 2