*** Official Troy Game Thread ***

Mavric

Two weeks of weird play calling leads me to believe the coaching staff hasn't installed very much of their offense. This looks nothing like Oregon or UCF. No creativity or stretching the field. Im sure personnel play a part as well but i don't believe they have 80 percent of the offense installed yet like they said a couple weeks ago.

This is going to take a few years. Frost first season at ucf was ugly, maybe not this bad but still pretty bad.

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

The play that sunk Nebraska was the EXTREMELY ticky tack penalty pass interference or holding (can't remember which) on #24.  That gave Troy a 1st down and led to their last TD.  

If you look close I don't think it was a penalty.  I though the officiating was not up to par the whole game.  To make that call that late in the game is subject.

• Plus1 1
50 minutes ago, HuskerInLostWages said:

Give him up to the 4 games he can and redshirt him.  This year is already done.

Good point.

Play him vs Michigan if he is healthy. If we start getting momentum in the next 4 games he is playing and it looks like our conference play is hopeful, keep him playing. If we continue to crap the bed just RS him.

12 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

Frost and company are trying to FIX three years of s#!tty coaching and almost zero strength and conditioning from Riley and his incompetent staff.  It is a process an unfortunately does not happen overnight.

Let's not include strength and conditioning.  Those things are easily fixed in 9 months.  Easily for kids that age and, supposedly, incredible instruction.

18 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

The play that sunk Nebraska was the EXTREMELY ticky tack penalty pass interference or holding (can't remember which) on #24.  That gave Troy a 1st down and led to their last TD.  

When a single penalty causes a loss, we are not very good and looking for excuses.  Truth was we were not the better team

1 minute ago, krc1995 said:

When a single penalty causes a loss, we are not very good and looking for excuses.  Truth was we were not the better team

Yep.  Blaming a loss to Troy on a blown call says it all.  It's going to take time and Frost has shown he's capable.  In the mean time, it'll be tough watching these games.  But it was tough watching last year too.

27 minutes ago, It'sNotAFakeID said:

Those people (and hell I might have been included) are dumb. 

This is probably a 3-6 win season. 6 if Martinez stays healthy. 3-5 if he plays those games. < 3 if he doesn't. 

Yeah and I'll take optimism over the dreck I'm reading from people on this board.  People are saying:

*the season is over

*no talent

*it's Riley all over again

Blah blah blah

We are two damn games into the f'ing season.  I swear, Nebraska has some of the most fair-weather fans I have ever seen.  You turn your back on the team and give up.  All of you melting down right now: Do yourself a favor.  Stop drinking, sober up, and re-watch the game with clear eyes.  Yeah Nebraska made too many mistakes, but they did a lot of good things today.

I think the off season has caused some amnesia. The team last year lost 54-21 against a 5-5 Minnesota. Our games were so bad last year that these are refreshing on Defense. When the offense doesn't make mistakes, they drive down the field quickly.

We've out gained the other team in both games.

Turnovers and penalties need to end. If we lose to Michigan but it's close and we hold them well under 50, we're already improved significantly from last year.

I see jucos and heavy recruiting for depth so mistake prone players can sit.

There’s “snake-bit” and there’s “Frost-bit” and the way this year is starting, the terms are currently interchangeable.

You name the winner of the QB competition and the guy who earns #2 leaves.

Game 1: weather cancellation with no plays run

leading to Game 2 where you lose the game and your Wonderkind QB to a dirty play(er)

leading to Game 3 where you are forced to start your #3 QB.

Name another team in the country starting their #3 QB in week 3.

I hope this staff is looking at kickers/punters to recruit, in addition to fast players.

However our plan to make Michigan look past us is being executed PERFECTLY.

:)

16 minutes ago, cheekygeek said:

There’s “snake-bit” and there’s “Frost-bit” and the way this year is starting, the terms are currently interchangeable.

leading to Game 2 where you lose the game and your Wonderkind QB to a dirty play(er)

I hope this staff is looking at kickers/punters to recruit, in addition to fast players.

I think he has/was the 3rd string by default.  No one left.  Another example of some roster mismanagement.  I do think Frost and Co have some culpability in this as they shouldve tried to get another guy that "fit" their system. I'm sure they thought that TG would stay, but to not get another guy in is biting us in the butt.  Would TG really have run this O any better than Bunch?

I do think the team is snake bit.  Guys get used to losing.  expect to lose.  Expect the other shoe to fall.  That crap is hard to get out of your head.  Beating CU would've helped. Down 14 by mistakes and they over came.  trust the staff, trust the system, trust each other.  We won.  Unfortunately, they lost.  This game,  TO's, penalties, the same stupid crap as last year.  Team starts thinking, here it comes.....

And in Bunch's defense, any QB wouldve strugled with the great up front blocking by the OL today.

11 minutes ago, cheekygeek said:

Not only 3rd string, but walk on 3rd string. This kid went to JUCO and had one small offer. I root for walk ons but Bunch's talent is what it is and it's not Power 5 you could see that today. If it was a 3rd string scholarship that might be better. Honestly I'd guess Frost had access to less than half of his playbook. 

18 minutes ago, lo country said:

Would TG really have run this O any better than Bunch?

Now you are saying this staff can’t tell the difference between their #2 QB (or #1b) and their #3. Gebbia certainly had more preseason reps than Bunch. And he “threw a football over that mountain” with his number of TDs coming out of high school and was highly recruited, unlike Bunch So yeah, although I’m rooting for Bunch to do well, I think your question is pretty ignorant.

That being said, I don’t want to restart the Gebbia Is Gone thread. I’m just recounting the history of this season’s start. And those of you who think Martinez will be back for Michigan are delusional.

2 hours ago, cheekygeek said:

Now you are saying this staff can’t tell the difference between their #2 QB (or #1b) and their #3. Gebbia certainly had more preseason reps than Bunch. And he “threw a football over that mountain” with his number of TDs coming out of high school and was highly recruited, unlike Bunch So yeah, although I’m rooting for Bunch to do well, I think your question is pretty ignorant.

That being said, I don’t want to restart the Gebbia Is Gone thread. I’m just recounting the history of this season’s start. And those of you who think Martinez will be back for Michigan are delusional.

No.  Just asking a rhetorical question.  We don't know. We assume he would be better as he was the #2.  The main point being that Bunch was #3 by default.  No one left to be #3.  Verdal had no waiver, Masker a walk-on true fresh and Bunch....Who else is the #3?  Bunch.  Was TG and AM that close or was TG the best we had left.  We will never know.  

TG was  a highly recruited QB in a pro-style system.  Not a dual threat guy. Could he run?  As evidenced by the no contact spring game, yes.  In a real game? Again, who knows.  I think he could process very quickly (possibly the best on the roster).  In the end, AM and his legs won out.  Frost's O, obviously puts a priority on legs....  So how much of the play book could he have run? If Bunch, by board estimates, had a pared down playbook, would TG have less than AM?  IMHO, probably yes....

Did TG leave hurt us as much as some think? We will never know.  Good luck to him.  

As far as AM being back, don't count me in that group.  IMO, it'll be a while.  He was suited up as the emergency number 2 ie hand off right.  hand off left.  He is the future.  Frost won't throw him out there until he is 100%.  Regardless of the record.  Frost, more than any of us know what he has and doesn't have with this team....Again to my reason, I wish they had recruited another dual threat guy this first go round.