What did we learn? -Game 2- Troy

JJ Husker

18 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

Those are plays like the ones Osborne and Solich used to run where the QB hands off or pitches and the line and rb do the rest. Others have commented on the kinds of plays we should've called to get the ball to our star receivers and open it up. Do you think the running game was what it should've been? I thought we looked like the mid-major underdog running desperate plays. Do we really have to count on Martinez' running that much?

The inherent weakness of the spread option as I understand it is that with only one RB, there is very little decption and or diversity in the run game.   It relies on the defense to fear and defend the passing game in order to open up the run plays by spreading the defenders out.  Especially when the QB is not effectively a big strong RB like player.   Defenses load up and stuff the run (this is the basic fundamental rule of football is STOP the RUN first).   It is much easier if your offense is handicapped.   If you have one RB and a NOT SO DUAL THREAT QB, the defense can stuff those runs.   We ran somewhat effectively but we don't run wide due to lack of speed and or inability to block the permimeter.   ???

To open up the one back runs, you have to pass over the middle and so on.   We can't do such. 

Martinez, Bunch, Bell, and Stoll have committed all our turnovers this season.

Stoll was the only one of those guys who has played a game for Riley.  He has only turned the ball over once and only played a few games for Riley.

I don't find much comfort in the "continuation from last year" theory.  At least with turnovers.  Which I think is the biggest concern.   If it was still Tanner Lee out there throwing multiple picks that would be one thing.  What's going on with this team's turnovers is its own unique thing.

• Plus1 2
15 minutes ago, chamrocck said:

Yes, I thought we'd see many more spread formations without Martinez today as a running threat.  Where are all these vaunted WR's I have heard so much about?  Williams, Lindsey, Hunt, Woodyard, McQuitty...anyone home?  Why didn't we help Bunch with this?  We told him to read option the entire game and that is not his strength.  Really lazy game plan.  

It’s hard to be more complex with formations when the team is using the backup, who was getting limited reps just 2-3 weeks ago. Even with Martinez, Frost said the offense is about 80% installed this year. Tough to get too exotic in these situations. 

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

Stoll was the only one of those guys who has played a game for Riley.  He has only turned the ball over once and only played a few games for Riley.

I don't find much comfort in the "continuation from last year" theory.  At least with turnovers.  Which I think is the biggest concern.   If it was still Tanner Lee out there throwing multiple picks that would be one thing.  What's going on with this team's turnovers is its own unique thing.

My comments are more about penalties, poor blocking, and poor tackling. 

3 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Stoll was the only one of those guys who have played a game for Riley.  He has only turned the ball over once and only played a few games for Riley.

And the way MoWa runs with the ball hanging out like a chicken wing it’s only a matter of time til he puts it on the ground (He probably should have had one today, but we got a favorable replay imo)

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

It’s hard to be more complex with formations when the team is using the backup, who was getting limited reps just 2-3 weeks ago. Even with Martinez, Frost said the offense is about 80% installed this year. Tough to get too exotic in these situations. 

Beating Troy at home shouldn’t require “exotic. “

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

80%?  I would have taken 40% today.  What the hell did we do all summer!?  Why are we read optioning with a QB that can't run?  If Maurice Washington doesn't make people miss this is even worse.  Mid to short passing game would have been welcome to bring some balance.  Sweeps, 2-backs, etc. too to run out of some different formations.  This was a poor game plan today and it got us a really lousy result.