What did we learn? -Game 2- Troy

JJ Husker

1 hour ago, Cdog923 said:

Narrator's voice: "It doesn't."

The expectation was that running backs and o-line would perform better than last year.  More career starts returning on o-line compared to beginning of last season.  Gates sucked, he’s not missed.  Tre Bryant was dynamic until the knee, but the RBs were expected to put up better numbers than last year (arguably due to Frost offense and o-line improvement).

1 minute ago, Spammytodd said:

The expectation was that running backs and o-line would perform better than last year.  More career starts returning on o-line compared to beginning of last season.  Gates sucked, he’s not missed.  Tre Bryant was dynamic until the knee, but the RBs were expected to put up better numbers than last year (arguably due to Frost offense and o-line improvement).

Washington had 6.6 yards per carry today, so that was pretty good. It’s also tough to run in this offense with no real run threat at QB, which we saw today. 

2 minutes ago, Spammytodd said:

I think our running game is much better, especially with Martinez in the line up. We're going through some growing pains but things are improved there. Bunch didn't give us much today in that area. Didn't threaten Troy in the passing game either making us easy to defend.

39 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

I learned that I'm still encouraged for the future, but this year is going to take some faith and patience. I still believe Frost is the best option for us and to call him overrated or claim his offense won't work in the B1G is just ridiculous. 

I also learned that being patient doesn't mean forgiving everything that is happening. The penalties and turnovers have to get cleaned up. The special teams coaching and execution has to improve too. None of that means these coaches aren't going to get things where they need to be, but year 1 or year 5 those areas have to get cleaned up and the coaches need to make it happen. 

Agreed. All these self inflicted mistakes can be overcome by a amazing team, but will knock a good team to a mediocre team and a mediocre team to a god awful team and right now they are sitting right around mediocre and closing in on god awful.  Part of that is QB depth, but also stupid penalties that save drives for the other team or kill their own and holding onto the ball.  Only one of those they can't really help, which is what makes it frustrating, and both those things have been a problem for years.  Hopefully with added depth and competition comes more accountability for bone-headed mistakes.

40 minutes ago, DrunkOffPunch said:

101.58 passer rating. Your math is off somewhere.

Before the final drive and INT? I just put 18-25 for 177 a TD and an INT in a efficiency calculator and thats the number it gave. The final INT is a factor too but he was playing pretty well before that theoretically.

6 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Before the final drive and INT? I just put 18-25 for 177 a TD and an INT in a efficiency calculator and thats the number it gave. The final INT is a factor too but he was playing pretty well before that theoretically.

I mistakenly used the NFL formula but your math is still wrong. It would be 149.87 using the NCAA formula. And yes before the final drive and int.

You can't just replace 15 years of mediocre play, recruiting and staffs in one year!  We have 51 new players on this roster this season.  New coaching staff, new system.  Growing pains folks!

See the talent on the field.......its not winning the Big 10 west this season.  Riley left the cupboard bare.  Pelini left it that way when he was let go.  Its not an overnight process.  

Give it two more recruiting classes at least before you can judge coaching staff.

• Plus1 1