What did we learn? -Game 2- Troy

JJ Husker

3 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

This! Watching Ohio State and TCU reminds me that our athletes just aren't to the level that the top teams in the nation are. Not saying we can't get them there, but it will take development and recruiting. 

Yup, just a different level of athlete. I wonder how many of our best would even start on some of these teams. It’s gonna take time....

• Plus1 1

51 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

I don't know about that.  Bosa's cat quickness isn't by accident.  I found this article https://sports.yahoo.com/joey-bosas-secret-routine-helped-turn-brother-nick-best-player-college-football-161319002.html.  He and his brother are doing dynamic stretching 3 x per day.  He's incredibly flexible and said it helps him turn his hips quicker to get around defenders.  I wondered if that might help our linemen when pulling.  I think it's more than just being strong which we should explore if we aren't already.

Read the article a few days ago.  (Great read IMO) Pretty crazy.  Watching the game tonight said he does and hour a day....That's a lot of stretching.  Agree it would help.  Dude can flat out move. 

18 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

This! Watching Ohio State and TCU reminds me that our athletes just aren't to the level that the top teams in the nation are. Not saying we can't get them there, but it will take development and recruiting. 

OSU reminds me of '90s Huskers.  Remember those days when you'd think at a certain point in a game "someone needs to make a play" and poof, it would happen?  We need playmakers.  When the Buckeyes get you down, they step on your throat.  Glad we have a good team in the B1G but wish they had an N on their helmet.

• Plus1 1
7 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The point is that people are complaining the Frost isn’t getting fancy enough on offense with a QB who was 3rd string 3 weeks ago. 

I don't think fancy is the right word. I'd say people were looking for something a little less qb dependant which we tried with running...honestly I'm just surprised frost didn't have an answer for troy's defense. There had to be some tendencies to exploit. Maybe we just didn't execute.

The Good

Maurice Washington - Frost is right, he's special.  17 touches, 106 yards.  I could go for a few more

Defense was very good for 52 out of 55 plays.  2.5 yards per play on those 52

Safety play (other than AWilliams' PI - which was bogus) - Three of our four leading tacklers

The Bad

The offensive gameplan - too conservative.  Played into Troy's hands.  They doubled Morgan and sold out to stop the run.  We didn't do much else

Bunch - He was in a bad spot but he seemed to lock in and made several bad decisions

Defensive alignment - seemed like we were WAY out of position several times, or at least didn't have any help past the first level

The Ugly (other than the loss itself)

Lamar Jackson - beaten early, often and badly.  Even his INT should have been simultaneous possession to the offense

Troy's last TD drive - converted three 3rd & 9s

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1

^ Agreed.  Good recap

The Very Ugly (IMO, the Truth)

Foster (over hyped) and Conrad are still weak.  Jaimes is young.  Farniok is still trying to be good, but not there yet.  Farmer is good when he can be.  Wilson is a pitbull.  I love the fellas up front, but they are so inconsistent that it hurts the offense. 

3 minutes ago, Mavric said:

The Good

Maurice Washington - Frost is right, he's special.  17 touches, 106 yards.  I could go for a few more

Defense was very good for 52 out of 55 plays.  2.5 yards per play on those 52

Safety play (other than AWilliams' PI - which was bogus) - Three of our four leading tacklers

The Bad

The offensive gameplan - too conservative.  Played into Troy's hands.  They doubled Morgan and sold out to stop the run.  We didn't do much else

Bunch - He was in a bad spot but he seemed to lock in and made several bad decisions

Defensive alignment - seemed like we were WAY out of position several times, or at least didn't have any help past the first level

The Ugly (other than the loss itself)

Lamar Jackson - beaten early, often and badly.  Even his INT should have been simultaneous possession to the offense

Troy's last TD drive - converted three 3rd & 9s

Perfect summary, with one addition to the ugly......Special Teams play.

And lest we forget when we get bad calls against us, Troy got absolutely screwed on two calls today. That lack of a correct simultaneous possession call and the one that precipitated the unsportsmanlike call on their coach. I don’t blame him one bit for getting that one. Why are B1G officials typically so bad? At least they weren’t skewed against us for once but I still hate to see inept officiating.

• Plus1 2

3 minutes ago, admo said:

^ Agreed.  Good recap

The Very Ugly (IMO, the Truth)

Foster (over hyped) and Conrad are still weak.  Jaimes is young.  Farniok is still trying to be good, but not there yet.  Farmer is good when he can be.  Wilson is a pitbull.  I love the fellas up front, but they are so inconsistent that it hurts the offense. 

I'm sick of hearing fosters interviews he's been saying the same crap for two years and he doesn't seem to get any better. He's supposed to be a captain and leader on the o line and he cant back it up.

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, Nebhawk said:

What you might learn is that the Big 10 might be overrated this year, and there might be more winnable games on that schedule than once was thought of ..........maybe???

Watching TCU go toe to toe with the Buckeyes right now, almost half-time, and that TCU team is running alot of tempo and making the Buckeyes earn everything.  Thats what this program we become in time.  

But one thing that made me say "Wow" was the stretch where Ohio State was down 9, and then in a blink of the eye, they were up 12.  That was so impressive to see.

15 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I thought about including the punt return but that seemed pretty obvious.

I wouldn't necessarily throw the entire special teams under the bus.  KO and KOR seemed pretty good today.

Yes, it was obvious. I suppose the ugly could be refined to punt coverage, punt return and field goals.