Nick Saban was 6-6 his first year at Bama.....

huskerfan92

15 hours ago, Moiraine said:

We won't be a .500 team if Martinez doesn't get healthy and play the rest of the games. Just sayin'.

Martinez is a true Freshman that sat out last year.  Hearing way too many people throw the season on this kids shoulders.  

QB play hasn’t lost either of these games.

Its a process.  One that is a lot tougher than I originally thought.  We have as good of coaching staff as anyone in the country, but it’s going to take time.

• Plus1 1

19 hours ago, HuskerInLostWages said:

We aren't getting any extra practices this year and I also think playing this poorly currently WILL hurt recruiting.  There's no way we go bowling after today with our Oline, turnovers, penalties, etc.

I thought the same thing then saw we have commits from the top 5 in state targets and our class for 2019 is now ranked 23rd.  I'm guessing that Frost has let them see behind the curtain to see what his vision and plan is.  Things that we as fans, might not be privy to.  

I bought into the pre-season hype. The reality is kids that were part of 2 losing seasons in 3 years will not suddenly become world beaters.  New schemes, staff, expectations etc will account for some losses. Just like under Cally, Bo and Riley.  We still have kids recruited for one system, playing in another.  I'm sure we still have kids that are not 100% in.  As others have alluded, S&C will take more than just a summer and fall (some have only had fall), ra-ra speeches and a 1-2 boot camp is some feel good paper fodder, but little else IMHO.  That mentality is developed over months of exposure to those stressors......

Frost is combating a cultural shift of epic proportion.  I read what he says to the media, but what does he say to staff and team?  I think very few of us know the true depth of the issues faced by the team and staff. 

1 hour ago, Fast Jimmy said:

Alabama/Nebraska comparisons of any type are a great way to BEG for ridicule from other fan bases.  Really think right now is the time?  How hard would it be to keep a low profile for a while?

No one is comparing Nebraska and Alabama. The comparison is the best coach in college football the past 10 years to frost. Some are questioning the staff and some people are just saying look saban walks on water right now but he had growing pains at new programs too. Some people need that reminder. Especially some who mock the idea frost could be the next saban. Saban at the same age as frost is now went 4 straight seasons at .500 at Michigan state. Point being how year 1 goes tells nothing about how good of a coach frost is now or will become 

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

So we shouldn’t have fired Riley for going 19-19 in his first 3 years?

No, Riley was exactly what he was. A .500 coach who came here to collect a paycheck, and a soft personalty who the media loved because he gave them access to everything. He sank the program to historic depths that need a large amount of work to restore.

Firing him (and Eichorst) was the first step towards getting Nebraska back on track.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 2
1 hour ago, Saunders said:

No, Riley was exactly what he was. A .500 coach who came here to collect a paycheck, and a soft personalty who the media loved because he gave them access to everything. He sank the program to historic depths that need a large amount of work to restore.

Firing him (and Eichorst) was the first step towards getting Nebraska back on track.

Yes there is a lot of things You can look at and tell the right things are happening in the program that will lead to wins. I’m sure you could see those things with Dabo, with Riley nothing we were doing was going to lead to a turnaround. I think what frost is doing will lead to a turnaround 

5 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

No one is comparing Nebraska and Alabama. The comparison is the best coach in college football the past 10 years to frost. Some are questioning the staff and some people are just saying look saban walks on water right now but he had growing pains at new programs too. Some people need that reminder. Especially some who mock the idea frost could be the next saban. Saban at the same age as frost is now went 4 straight seasons at .500 at Michigan state. Point being how year 1 goes tells nothing about how good of a coach frost is now or will become 

I’m quite ready to be patient, but are you?  The Saban comparisons are more of the same silliness. Let’s give him time, see what he can do and stop burdening him, the team and ourselves with these heavy expectations and highly premature musings.

16 hours ago, teachercd said:

I remember when people would post "Only Saban, Peterson and Bo have won 9 games or more each year over the past ____ years"

Yeah, people liked to mock the amount that we were winning.  #9Wins

At this point it is all but a lock that the other four coaches over their most-recent 10 seasons have combined to put together exactly one year (2003) that was better than Pelini's worst year (from a record perspective).

And it took Pelini winning the bowl game to accomplish that one year.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
On 9/16/2018 at 4:45 PM, Fast Jimmy said:

I’m quite ready to be patient, but are you?  The Saban comparisons are more of the same silliness. Let’s give him time, see what he can do and stop burdening him, the team and ourselves with these heavy expectations and highly premature musings.

Some of us remember being asked to be patient going back to the early 2000s and through several coaches.

We can still do it, of course.  But we do remember that and it's been a long haul and the words are old. 

I still predict a Husker win at Michigan.  :dunno

• Plus1 1