Nick Saban was 6-6 his first year at Bama.....

huskerfan92

On 9/15/2018 at 3:56 PM, cheekygeek said:

Which points out the other reason that it is inferior communication. What it means for YOU may not be what it means to somebody else. And what it means to you in this thread may mean something else in a different context. Words MEAN things, except for “just sayin’”.

32 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

"Just sayin'" is a perfectly reasonable addition to the language of discourse. It gently suggests that at least one of a poster's assertions may be flawed, even if you agree with the larger argument. 

Ipso facto, your original point doesn't stand at all, and you've gone on a few posts too long about it.

Just sayin. 

I think “just sayin’” can be used in many different ways and that none of them automatically make the person sound less intelligent or that it is an attempt at leaving an opening to wiggle out of what was said later. Personally I use it as a more colorful alternative to “IMO” or “in my opinion”. i.e. I just said it so of course I’m just sayin’. It really has no effect on what the person just said or how smart they sound. I leave that determination for what they actually said. And to be honest I didn’t appreciate cheekygeek’s first mention of it to Moiraine. Seemed pretty dickish.

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, MountainMan said:

You may hate him, and that’s fine, even understandable. But Nick Saban is on the very short list of best football coaches ever 

Didn’t say I hate him. I respect the hell out of what he’s accomplished at Bama. But there is a lot more contributing to that success than simply Nick Saban.

And I wouldn’t trade Frost for him. I would not expect Saban to be capable of the same level of success at Nebraska as he’s had at Bama. I think Frost is the most likely to emulate the level of success TO had at Nebraska.

Saban took a lower tier big ten MSU team and had them in the top ten when he left for LSU, who had never been relevant and had them winning the national championship, when he (stupidly) went to the nfl, then resurrected a Alabama team that was suffering a low much like Nebraska and has literally owned college football with them.

I guess I’d like to know what else he had align for him everywhere he’s been

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, MountainMan said:

Saban took a lower tier big ten MSU team and had them in the top ten when he left for LSU, who had never been relevant and had them winning the national championship, when he (stupidly) went to the nfl, then resurrected a Alabama team that was suffering a low much like Nebraska and has literally owned college football with them.

Hey, if you want to ride the jock of the wildly successful Alabama coach while at the same time disparaging and complaining about the new, 2 actual games new, Nebraska coach, you just keep being you.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

7 minutes ago, MountainMan said:

Saban had a record of (34-24) at Michigan State....the few coaches after him were absolute trash cans. Dantonio took over in 2007 and has done way more than Saban did there. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
Just now, JJ Husker said:

Hey, if you want to ride the jock of the wildly successful Alabama coach while at the same time disparaging and complaining about the new, 2 actual games new, Nebraska coach, you just keep being you.

What?  Admitting Saban’s great has no bearing on Scott Frost or his prospects. Frost has the potential to be great here, but he’s made some errors. You clearly don’t want to talk about any of that so

I’ll cease. 

2 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Saban had a record of (34-24) at Michigan State....the few coaches after him were absolute trash cans. Dantonio took over in 2007 and has done way more than Saban did there. 

When Saban took over MSU, they hadn’t had a winning season in years. When he left in 99, they were 9-2.  Which is what I said. 

Yes Dantonio is also a good coach. 

1 minute ago, MountainMan said:

What?  Admitting Saban’s great has no bearing on Scott Frost or his prospects. Frost has the potential to be great here, but he’s made some errors. You clearly don’t want to talk about any of that so

I’ll cease. 

You’re right, one thing has nothing to do with the other. But I do find it amusing/curious that many of the posters who defend Saban to the death are many of the same ones being most vocal about the mistakes and shortcomings of Frost. Maybe it’s coincidence but it sure seems like there’s more to it than that.

19 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Didn’t say I hate him. I respect the hell out of what he’s accomplished at Bama. But there is a lot more contributing to that success than simply Nick Saban.

And I wouldn’t trade Frost for him. I would not expect Saban to be capable of the same level of success at Nebraska as he’s had at Bama. I think Frost is the most likely to emulate the level of success TO had at Nebraska.

Flash back to November 2017. Moos takes the podium and announces he’s pulled the coup of college football history and Saban is coming to Lincoln. 

In this scenario you’re -less- excited than you were with Frost?

Nick Saban took over a college football legacy that had been through fits and starts since its last legendary coach retired. He built it into a powerhouse above and beyond his predecessor, and while it can't last forever, it's still going strong.  Alabama may seem to have an unfair advantage now, having been built into a juggernaut, but Scott Frost is being asked to do the same thing, and I don't think we'll complain if Nebraska wins too much, or gets too deep in prize recruits. 

Alabama can't lose enough for my taste. Doesn't mean I can't respect Nick Saban, or that I'll feel better pretending he's not such a great coach. 

• Plus1 1
Just now, MountainMan said:

Flash back to November 2017. Moos takes the podium and announces he’s pulled the coup of college football history and Saban is coming to Lincoln. 

In this scenario you’re -less- excited than you were with Frost?

In hindsight, yes. However, at the time, not knowing that we would be getting Frost, I’d have been really excited. Of course, Larry the Memorial Stadium janitor replacing Mike Riley would’ve been somewhat exciting too :lol:.  But to be clear, I am currently much happier with Frost than I would be with Saban.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
6 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Nick Saban took over a college football legacy that had been through fits and starts since its last legendary coach retired. He built it into a powerhouse above and beyond his predecessor, and while it can't last forever, it's still going strong.  Alabama may seem to have an unfair advantage now, having been built into a juggernaut, but Scott Frost is being asked to do the same thing, and I don't think we'll complain if Nebraska wins too much, or gets too deep in prize recruits. 

Alabama can't lose enough for my taste. Doesn't mean I can't respect Nick Saban, or that I'll feel better pretending he's not such a great coach. 

If you had a prior coach at Alabama who won 6 national titles, it shows that it can be done there, and already has taken place. Saban is obviously a great coach, but like NFL coaches say - Bama recruiting is the equivalent of getting 15 1st round draft picks every single year. Makes winning A LOT easier 

8 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

In hindsight, yes. However, at the time, not knowing that we would be getting Frost, I’d have been really excited. Of course, Larry the Memorial Stadium janitor replacing Mike Riley would’ve been somewhat exciting too :lol:.  But to be clear, I am currently much happier with Frost than I would be with Saban.

If there was actually a choice, which obviously there wasn’t, you should take Saban over Frost every single day of the week and that’s not meant to disparage Scott Frost in any way.