Questions to Ponder

I think I am like many Husker fans wondering what in the heck happened to start this season.  I don't believe anyone predicted we would be winless heading into Michigan, and I realize the easiest game to win was canceled.  With that said, here are a few questions I am pondering at the moment.

1.  Is Troy better than Colorado?  The reason I am asking is that we struggled more than I expected on offense, and Bunch had far less time to throw than Martinez did last week.  The O-line was manhandled the whole game which was not the case against Colorado.  Troy definitely had a better punter and special teams unit than Colorado.

2.  Should Bunch remain the backup?  I know it was just one game today, but I was not overly impressed with him.  Now I have not seen anything of Masker so I am not sure how he compared to Bunch.

3.  What will it take to stop the dumb plays and penalties and a lack of mental toughness?

4.  If this season continues the way it has, will Frost be willing to let go one of his assistants in favor of some new blood?  I know it's early still and I hope the team can turn things around, but today's game was a hot mess.

• Plus1 1

I can answer 2, 3, and 4.

2. Bunch is probably the best option at backup, he didn’t lose the game today, although he didn’t win it.

3. The players themselves need to stop the mistakes. The coaches can preach it over and over again, but the players need to stop the mistakes.

4.  Two games into the season, way too early to think about possible firings I’d assistant coaches. The group did wonders at UCF.  The bulk of these players went 4-8 last year. They were 4-8 for a reason. 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I can answer 2, 3, and 4.

2. Bunch is probably the best option at backup, he didn’t lose the game today, although he didn’t win it.

3. The players themselves need to stop the mistakes. The coaches can preach it over and over again, but the players need to stop the mistakes.

4.  Two games into the season, way too early to think about possible firings I’d assistant coaches. The group did wonders at UCF.  The bulk of these players went 4-8 last year. They were 4-8 for a reason. 

Regarding #3, I agree it's the players that need to stop making mistakes, but how does that get accomplished?  Is it a matter of recruiting more mentally tough players?  No shot at #1?

Just now, HuskerNation1 said:

Regarding #3, I agree it's the players that need to stop making mistakes, but how does that get accomplished?  Is it a matter of recruiting more mentally tough players?  No shot at #1?

I don’t think the players had any fear of being “punished” for making mistakes under Riley.  They were undisciplined and it wasn’t a big deal when mistakes happened. It’s a lackadaisical atmosphere within the players that permeates until it changes. I’m not sure when it will change. 

8 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

4.  If this season continues the way it has, will Frost be willing to let go one of his assistants in favor of some new blood?  I know it's early still and I hope the team can turn things around, but today's game was a hot mess.

GTFO of  here and go chug a few beers. Seriously.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Fire 3

In regards to question 4, if the season continues the way it is going (2-4 wins for the year), then Frost will need to fire some of his assistants to satiate the blood-lust of his bosses, donors, and fans.  it is the smart political move and Frost will come to this conclusion.  Prime candidates as of today are the o-line and special teams coaches.

1 minute ago, Undone said:

GTFO of  here and go chug a few beers. Seriously.

Dude no need to be pushing such aggressive words...it's a simple question.  Perhaps you needs to go grab some beers instead of post on here.  I have seen many coaches who preach "loyalty" but almost to a fault and they have a hard time getting rid of underperforming staff members who they view as family.  I never said anything about it happening now, but the point is that if special teams or the O-line show no improvement the rest of the season, how long should Frost keep his guys around with accountability for those positions. 

No coaches will be fired this year, everyone understands that most of the team is accustomed to losing and it takes a while to change that when the pressure is on.  Now if in year 3 and these same things are happening, that's when heads will start rolling.

I still wonder if we go into our 6th game and haven't won a game, does Martinez get benched for the season to hold his redshirt and save him for a full 4 years.

3 minutes ago, Pasadena Husker said:

In regards to question 4, if the season continues the way it is going (2-4 wins for the year), then Frost will need to fire some of his assistants to satiate the blood-lust of his bosses, donors, and fans.  it is the smart political move and Frost will come to this conclusion.  Prime candidates as of today are the o-line and special teams coaches.

No.

• Plus1 3
Just now, HuskerInLostWages said:

No coaches will be fired this year, everyone understands that most of the team is accustomed to losing and it takes a while to change that when the pressure is on.  Now if in year 3 and these same things are happening, that's when heads will start rolling.

I still wonder if we go into our 6th game and haven't won a game, does Martinez get benched for the season to hold his redshirt and save him for a full 4 years.

Only way Martinez gets “benched” is if he’s not healthy. The last half of the season is too important to get reps for him.  

1 minute ago, Pasadena Husker said:

Disagree. You don't panic after Y1. The blood lust sacrifices start after Y2 at the earliest.

Austin turned a terrible OL at UCF into an excellent one in Y2. We are already playing better at OLB with DeWitt. Frost may need to put more attention to ST. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1