Questions to Ponder

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Only way Martinez gets “benched” is if he’s not healthy. The last half of the season is too important to get reps for him.  

I like the idea of the reps, but I would think it would be good to have him longer to run Frosts offense, getting him much needed experience this year and then have 4 full years left.  Who knows.

1 minute ago, alwayshusking said:

Disagree. You don't panic after Y1. The blood lust sacrifices start after Y2 at the earliest.

Austin turned a terrible OL at UCF into an excellent one in Y2. We are already playing better at OLB with DeWitt. Frost may need to put more attention to ST. 

in my opinion, it depends on if we continue to see the same performance as we have observed in these first two games.  if there is marked improvement, then i agree that no one will be let go; if not, then i think he will feel the need to.

Just now, HuskerInLostWages said:

I like the idea of the reps, but I would think it would be good to have him longer to run Frosts offense, getting him much needed experience this year and then have 4 full years left.  Who knows.

Martinez will probably be healthy enough to go with 7 or 8 games left in the season. Don’t worry about 4 years down the road. Worry about this season. 

There is absolutely no coaching turnover into next year regardless of this season or even next season. I would hope that sort of talk gains zero traction.

Folks we were 4-8 last year. And you don't get to 4-8 in just one bad season, you slowly start to downward spiral toward a 4-8 type season. This is years and years of bad coaching and recruiting. Can't be fixed in 8 months.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

Martinez will probably be healthy enough to go with 7 or 8 games left in the season. Don’t worry about 4 years down the road. Worry about this season. 

With the Oline playing like they did today, he may not even make 4 games.  Fortunately he seems to be smarter than Bunch and a hell of alot faster, he will need the latter if the oline continues to be Rileyesque.

25 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

4.  If this season continues the way it has, will Frost be willing to let go one of his assistants in favor of some new blood?  I know it's early still and I hope the team can turn things around, but today's game was a hot mess.

This is the only question I feel like weighing in on.

It is ridiculously early to be asking such a thing, and I feel like everybody deserves a first year “pass” just to getting acclimated to Nebraska and the Big Ten. But I also trust Scott Frost to be steely-eyed in his evaluation of his staff. And if there is one place the Huskers really look sub-standard on (to me) it is Special Teams.

• Plus1 1

For the question of whether Troy is better than Colorado goes, I'm leaning toward yes. Last year, Colorado was a 5-win team, while Troy was an 11-win team whose best win was against a ranked LSU squad.

Honestly, the Colorado game felt like a Bo-era loss to me. We were the better team on the field, and it really wasn't even close. But we couldn't get out of our own way and pissed the game away with a few ugly mistakes.

Troy felt more like the Arkansas State game last year: they're a G5 team that came in and played a pretty decent game. Biggest difference is that last year, we were watching a guy who was supposed to be an amazing QB making his first start as a Husker, while this year we were watching a guy who was supposed to be a third-stringer making his first start as a Husker.

Let's not sugar-coat it, though: they're both ugly losses against teams we should have beaten.