Questions to Ponder

2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

My thoughts as well. I think the Akron game was a huge unfortunate event. If that game is played, the team gets confidence and could very well be 3-0.  But the facts are that NU is 0-2.  If Martinez comes back soon, I think NU gets wins over Purdue, Minnesota, Northwestern, and Illinois. I also think that Wisconsin, Iowa, and Michigan Stare are winnable, as well.

hmmmmmmmmm......no wonder Hi-vee is out of Koolaid!

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I think I am like many Husker fans wondering what in the heck happened to start this season.  I don't believe anyone predicted we would be winless heading into Michigan, and I realize the easiest game to win was canceled.  With that said, here are a few questions I am pondering at the moment.

1.  Is Troy better than Colorado?  The reason I am asking is that we struggled more than I expected on offense, and Bunch had far less time to throw than Martinez did last week.  The O-line was manhandled the whole game which was not the case against Colorado.  Troy definitely had a better punter and special teams unit than Colorado.

2.  Should Bunch remain the backup?  I know it was just one game today, but I was not overly impressed with him.  Now I have not seen anything of Masker so I am not sure how he compared to Bunch.

3.  What will it take to stop the dumb plays and penalties and a lack of mental toughness?

4.  If this season continues the way it has, will Frost be willing to let go one of his assistants in favor of some new blood?  I know it's early still and I hope the team can turn things around, but today's game was a hot mess.

I’ll take a shot at these.

1- Which opponent was better is unimportant and has nothing to do with the result of either game. We beat ourselves in both games. IMO Colorado was quite a bit better than Troy....and we played a whole lot better against CU than we did Troy. My only theorys are; A) the players sensed we were going to be in trouble without AM and for some reason it caused them to play worse rather than dig deeper and play better and B) turning this deal around is a bigger job than can be totally solved in one off season.

2- Should Bunch remain? That’s a pretty silly question. Is there a better option? Do you go to an even worse option simply to punish him for not being the athlete AM is? The backup should be whichever player is the next best QB on the team. Period.

3- Time and practice and belief.

4- You serious Clark? Stupid question. Yes, today’s game was a hot mess.

Here’s a question some people need to ponder; What would your expectations have been for these two games if Riley were still coach? I know my answer is that I would have expected to be blown out in both games with no chance of winning. That’s no excuse and doesn’t make anything different but as for me most of my dismay is due to seriously raised expectations. It wasn’t proved today vs Troy but this team is improving and getting better. It’s just going to take some time, some time that it seems many fans are not prepared to deal with in a constructive manner. Considering the fans have zero to do with righting this ship, I’d suggest patience. There are no other coaches more well suited to the task. None. Absolutely none.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2
3 hours ago, Toe said:

For the question of whether Troy is better than Colorado goes, I'm leaning toward yes. Last year, Colorado was a 5-win team, while Troy was an 11-win team whose best win was against a ranked LSU squad.

Honestly, the Colorado game felt like a Bo-era loss to me. We were the better team on the field, and it really wasn't even close. But we couldn't get out of our own way and pissed the game away with a few ugly mistakes.

Troy felt more like the Arkansas State game last year: they're a G5 team that came in and played a pretty decent game. Biggest difference is that last year, we were watching a guy who was supposed to be an amazing QB making his first start as a Husker, while this year we were watching a guy who was supposed to be a third-stringer making his first start as a Husker.

Let's not sugar-coat it, though: they're both ugly losses against teams we should have beaten.

I think the coaches need to take some blame for the loss including Frost himself.  He said during the post game press conference that Troy was giving them the underneath passes but they weren't going to change who they were.  I understand that but you still have to adapt to what the defense gives you!  I think Frost is to fixated on his certain game plan at times with his play calling

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, HUSKERBROW1 said:

I think the coaches need to take some blame for the loss including Frost himself.  He said during the post game press conference that Troy was giving them the underneath passes but they weren't going to change who they were.  I understand that but you still have to adapt to what the defense gives you!  I think Frost is to fixated on his certain game plan at times with his play calling

Frost told the team after the game that today’s loss was his fault. He didn’t push the team enough during the week, and he didn’t have them ready. I think we all want year 2 UCF Coach Frost this year, but he’s having to learn the new roster of players, just like they are having to learn from him. This year is going to be more of a struggle than most of us hoped/expected. 

4 hours ago, HuskerInLostWages said:

I like the idea of the reps, but I would think it would be good to have him longer to run Frosts offense, getting him much needed experience this year and then have 4 full years left.  Who knows.

I don’t think college football is four year deal now for the elite prospects. It’s get them on the field so they can help right now, because if they’re exceptional they won’t be here for four years anyway. 

Plus you have to have him help you try to win now.  Who knows, next year we might have a better QB. It would be a shame to give up potential wins this year and then have him on the bench in the future. 

CFB is a win now game. The continual redshirting and building for the future we were so good at for years, I don’t think it’s reality anymore. 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, 3rd and long said:

I don’t think college football is four year deal now for the elite prospects. It’s get them on the field so they can help right now, because if they’re exceptional they won’t be here for four years anyway. 

Plus you have to have him help you try to win now.  Who knows, next year we might have a better QB. It would be a shame to give up potential wins this year and then have him on the bench in the future. 

CFB is a win now game. The continual redshirting and building for the future we were so good at for years, I don’t think it’s reality anymore. 

You have to play the best players to win now. The only thing that would hold Martinez out would be injury. If Frost and the staff are good enough recruiters, they will be able to replace Martinez when the time comes. I don’t worry about 4 years down the road, and I’m sure Frost isn’t either. 

6 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Frost told the team after the game that today’s loss was his fault. He didn’t push the team enough during the week, and he didn’t have them ready. I think we all want year 2 UCF Coach Frost this year, but he’s having to learn the new roster of players, just like they are having to learn from him. This year is going to be more of a struggle than most of us hoped/expected. 

Good comment

• Plus1 1
36 minutes ago, HUSKERBROW1 said:

He said during the post game press conference that Troy was giving them the underneath passes but they weren't going to change who they were.

TBH, I wonder if that was a nice way of saying "Bunch sucks at those passes."

• Fire 1

34 minutes ago, 3rd and long said:

We don't have many elite prospects leaving for the NFL early.  That said, Luke McCaffery will be a nice addition to QB depth next year.  

46 minutes ago, HUSKERBROW1 said:

On one series they tried to run three times with Bell...…...no first down. They just couldn't get it done. I'm not sure why Ozigbo isn't the main back and suspect he might have a nagging injury. Washington made some nice runs but he's not the kind of RB I envision will hold up in the BIG. I don't see an Abdul Muhammad here.

5 hours ago, Pasadena Husker said:

In regards to question 4, if the season continues the way it is going (2-4 wins for the year), then Frost will need to fire some of his assistants to satiate the blood-lust of his bosses, donors, and fans.  it is the smart political move and Frost will come to this conclusion.  Prime candidates as of today are the o-line and special teams coaches.

No. 

No no coaches are going to be fired this year. 

Got another question to ponder: I have a friend that has season tickets to michigan and offered me his tickets to the game next week for free. It is about a 2 hour drive, I have to find a babysitter and it will

probably be a add whipping. Right now I really don’t think I’m going to go, too much of a hassle to go get harassed and watch my team be embarrassing, plus I’ve been there before (the last time the huskers were embarrassed there). Am I crazy for not going?