Questions to Ponder

This is the worst start the Skers could have...and they are still like 3 plays from being 2-0.

It sucks and when they lose we want to freak out...that is normal.  This season will probably suck...

But A-Mart is going to be a 350-400 yards of offense QB per game...The defense will get turnovers.  It will be all good.  

• Plus1 2

48 minutes ago, HuskerPowerVA said:

We don't have many elite prospects leaving for the NFL early.  That said, Luke McCaffery will be a nice addition to QB depth next year.  

True. Which says a lot about our recruiting. 

Ive watched McCaffery in high school. This is his first year being the full time QB. He’s a long, long way from being added depth at that level. I know kids can grow and progress quickly (and hopefully he will), but right now he’s a fine athlete playing QB. Older brother Dylan was much, much polished. 

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, 3rd and long said:

True. Which says a lot about our recruiting. 

Ive watched McCaffery in high school. This is his first year being the full time QB. He’s a long, long way from being added depth at that level. I know kids can grow and progress quickly (and hopefully he will), but right now he’s a fine athlete playing QB. Older brother Dylan was much, much polished. 

Vedral will be the backup QB next year. McCaffrey will be redshirted or used as a WR in certain situations. 

38 minutes ago, HuskerJax said:

Got another question to ponder: I have a friend that has season tickets to michigan and offered me his tickets to the game next week for free. It is about a 2 hour drive, I have to find a babysitter and it will

probably be a add whipping. Right now I really don’t think I’m going to go, too much of a hassle to go get harassed and watch my team be embarrassing, plus I’ve been there before (the last time the huskers were embarrassed there). Am I crazy for not going?

It doesn’t sound like you want to go, so don’t go.

Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

Vedral will be the backup QB next year. McCaffrey will be redshirted or used as a WR in certain situations. 

That makes sense. I just don’t see McCaffrey ready to QB at that level next year. Which is the point I was making about him adding QB depth for us next year. Although technically I guess it would be true. He looks more wide receiver(ish) to me than a QB. 

• Plus1 1

40 minutes ago, HuskerJax said:

Got another question to ponder: I have a friend that has season tickets to michigan and offered me his tickets to the game next week for free. It is about a 2 hour drive, I have to find a babysitter and it will

probably be a add whipping. Right now I really don’t think I’m going to go, too much of a hassle to go get harassed and watch my team be embarrassing, plus I’ve been there before (the last time the huskers were embarrassed there). Am I crazy for not going?

Go.

Just now, 3rd and long said:

That makes sense. I just don’t see McCaffrey ready to QB at that level next year. Which is the point I was making about him adding QB depth for us next year. Although technically I guess it would be true. He looks more wide receiver(ish) to me than a QB. 

Next year looks food at QB.

Martinez

Vedral has a year in frosts system already

bunch will at least have some valuable game experience

mcaffrey could be used in 4 games and still redshirted. Might be the best running backup.

1 hour ago, HUSKERBROW1 said:

I think the coaches need to take some blame for the loss including Frost himself.  He said during the post game press conference that Troy was giving them the underneath passes but they weren't going to change who they were.  I understand that but you still have to adapt to what the defense gives you!  I think Frost is to fixated on his certain game plan at times with his play calling

Frost did take the blame for the loss and he did not say they weren’t going to change who they were in reference to Troy giving them the underneath passes and quarterback runs.  He sad they wanted to “ugly it up” on offense and run the ball but that getting down early made that somewhat impossible. What he didn’t say that should have been understood is that Bunch was not ready or well equipped to exploit the underneath passes or quarterback runs. He’s different than Pelini in that respect, he isn’t one to throw the players under the bus with the media but he will hold them accountable for their performance in a proper manner.

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, 3rd and long said:

Agree. McCaffrey is probably a project at QB, but NU was smart to recruit him as a QB to get him to Lincoln. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

7 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Agree. McCaffrey is probably a project at QB, but NU was smart to recruit him as a QB to get him to Lincoln. 

What do you mean he is a project?

Does he need more work than Martinez? Yes.

Would he currently be our back-up? Yes.

Kid is phenomenal, let’s not pretend we don’t know what we’re doing at the QB position for crying out loud.

Under your “terms” Nebraska wouldn’t be smart for recruiting him as a QB as he’d be there only one in the class and you say he isn’t one basicallyz

Just now, ScottyIce said:

What do you mean he is a project?

Does he need more work than Martinez? Yes.

Would he currently be our back-up? Yes.

Kid is phenomenal, let’s not pretend we don’t know what we’re doing at the QB position for crying out loud.

I’m only going off what I have heard about McCaffrey. I’ve heard he is a great athlete, but in his first season as a starting QB. He has a lot of work to do to be a college level QB. It doesn’t mean it can’t be done, but I don’t expect him to come in and be the #2

QB next year. 

Since these are questions to Ponder, here are Sam's answers:

c27d254b3a96eb70e4a6a94099e2708b972b4ffe

1 - No, I think Colorado is the better team.  We struggled more on offense today because we went with a conservative game plan because we didn't seem to trust our QB very much and probably got more conservative after a couple bad decisions early.

2 - Yes, hopefully he is exactly that - the backup

3 - Having guys with more experience - most of the mistakes through two games are guys who haven't played much.

4 - No

• Plus1 1
19 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

I’ll take a shot at these.

1- Which opponent was better is unimportant and has nothing to do with the result of either game. We beat ourselves in both games. IMO Colorado was quite a bit better than Troy....and we played a whole lot better against CU than we did Troy. My only theorys are; A) the players sensed we were going to be in trouble without AM and for some reason it caused them to play worse rather than dig deeper and play better and B) turning this deal around is a bigger job than can be totally solved in one off season.

2- Should Bunch remain? That’s a pretty silly question. Is there a better option? Do you go to an even worse option simply to punish him for not being the athlete AM is? The backup should be whichever player is the next best QB on the team. Period.

3- Time and practice and belief.

4- You serious Clark? Stupid question. Yes, today’s game was a hot mess.

Here’s a question some people need to ponder; What would your expectations have been for these two games if Riley were still coach? I know my answer is that I would have expected to be blown out in both games with no chance of winning. That’s no excuse and doesn’t make anything different but as for me most of my dismay is due to seriously raised expectations. It wasn’t proved today vs Troy but this team is improving and getting better. It’s just going to take some time, some time that it seems many fans are not prepared to deal with in a constructive manner. Considering the fans have zero to do with righting this ship, I’d suggest patience. There are no other coaches more well suited to the task. None. Absolutely none.

/thread