Why It's Not as Bad as It Feels

Mavric

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Troy went up 17 - 0. Nebraska fought back, but Troy buckled down and reestablished an 11 point lead in the fourth quarter. Nebraska needed a touchdown in the last two minutes and didn't get close. We had multiple opportunities to put Colorado away, and multiple mistakes that kept them in the game. 

Better habits? Absolutely. Close games? Sure. I just don't think you want Frost or the team thinking it was a matter of two or three mistakes. 

Oh geez, no - he, nor the team, would be satisfied to make just 2-3 fewer mistakes - they want NO mistakes.  I was stating in terms of record wise, and admit it, there'd be a little less negativity if we were sitting at an ugly 2-0, rather than a ugly but promising 0-2.

5 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Why it's as bad as it feels:

The Cleveland Browns had a better start to their season.

They don't look half bad this year. 

We are running fairly well and stopping the run fairly well. Passing the ball with efficiency as well. These things are great for us and will win us ball games.

1 hour ago, MountainMan said:

There was a direct response to what I said saying this was “Riley’s mess”. Which I reiterate is weird because none of the biggest offenders in the turnover department are Riley Guys. 

If that's the point you want argue with I'm not your guy. I don't see much of any correlation between the turnovers we've had this year and Riley's guys. I chalk most of it up to two games each starting a new freshman quarterback in their first starts and to a more wide open, no fear of failure offense and mindset that asks players to take chances and have fun. I suppose the contribution that mentality has on turnovers can be placed squarely at Frost's feet but personally I like it immensely more than what we've had and I've already accepted that's just the way it's going to be. UCF had a lot of turnovers and I anticipate we will also. The thing that needs to improve are experience for our playmakers and doing all the other things right that allow you to overcome turnovers. One of those would be getting take away on defense and we haven't quite gotten there yet. I just don't think anyone should expect the state of the program to be completely turned around at this point from what Riley instilled and left behind. That's not making an excuse for the things that haven't improved yet, it's just a fact and the reality of the chore at hand.

4 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

If that's the point you want argue with I'm not your guy. I don't see much of any correlation between the turnovers we've had this year and Riley's guys. I chalk most of it up to two games each starting a new freshman quarterback in their first starts and to a more wide open, no fear of failure offense and mindset that asks players to take chances and have fun. I suppose the contribution that mentality has on turnovers can be placed squarely at Frost's feet but personally I like it immensely more than what we've had and I've already accepted that's just the way it's going to be. UCF had a lot of turnovers and I anticipate we will also. The thing that needs to improve are experience for our playmakers and doing all the other things right that allow you to overcome turnovers. One of those would be getting take away on defense and we haven't quite gotten there yet. I just don't think anyone should expect the state of the program to be completely turned around at this point from what Riley instilled and left behind. That's not making an excuse for the things that haven't improved yet, it's just a fact and the reality of the chore at hand.

There hasn't been a huge difference from last year as far as turnovers go, but its not as frustrating as Lees pick 6s. You can tell its more from flying around at 100 mph than whatever the hell Lee was doing

3 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

In 2017 UCF lost 15 fumbles and ints combined to gaining 32. I don’t know if 15 is “a lot” but I do know we are on pace for over 25 for the year (and yes I know “on pace is a somewhat silly stat)

I’m not looking to argue with you or anyone. I’m just finding humor in people telling everyone why this is more or less fine when any other coach wearing the N would have a lot of unease hovering around him. 

Every Nebraska fan is a Scott Frost fan. But Frost the coach has had his cape ripped off so far and it’s a little curious if not disturbing. 

• Plus1 3

4 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

There hasn't been a huge difference from last year as far as turnovers go, but its not as frustrating as Lees pick 6s. You can tell its more from flying around at 100 mph than whatever the hell Lee was doing

Great thread!  I'm feeling better already.  We all wanted a fast improvement.  Who wouldn't if given the choice?  However, we were dealt some bad cards so far this season with the rainout and then AMart's injury.  Its going to take longer that we hoped for, but that's OK.  The future is bright.  I think a lot of us feel we were on our way to beating Colorado by two scores if it wasn't for a few plays here and there.  But, sometimes a few plays is all it takes to swing things from a good start to the season to a bad one plus the aforementioned bad luck we got.  Anyways, as long as we can avoid blowouts and and meltdowns, I still think we'll be clicking pretty good two months from now.  Getting Martinez back would help too.

11 minutes ago, MountainMan said:

In 2017 UCF lost 15 fumbles and ints combined to gaining 32. I don’t know if 15 is “a lot” but I do know we are on pace for over 25 for the year (and yes I know “on pace is a somewhat silly stat)

I’m not looking to argue with you or anyone. I’m just finding humor in people telling everyone why this is more or less fine when any other coach wearing the N would have a lot of unease hovering around him. 

Every Nebraska fan is a Scott Frost fan. But Frost the coach has had his cape ripped off so far and it’s a little curious if not disturbing. 

I guess I’ve missed the part where anyone has said it’s fine and not an issue. Turnovers are never fine. Losing is never fine. But I don’t at all see where his cape has been ripped off or why there should be unease hovering around him. He has a big job to do and he’s working on it and I’m quite confident that he is more well suited to succeed than anyone. The difference seems to be that some of us are willing to give him a reasonable amount of time to accomplish the task and others, not so much.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
15 minutes ago, MountainMan said:

It's called hope.  We haven't had this kind of hope in years.  Did anyone seriously think Callahan, Pelini or Riley was going to be around long term to turn this thing back into a powerhouse?  Callahan and Pelini would have left for greener pastures as soon as we got good and their coaching stock went up.  Riley was just too close to the end of his career when he started here.  I think it is very possible Frost finishes out his career at Nebraska, or at least gives us 15-20 years.  Building a foundation the right way takes time.