Why It's Not as Bad as It Feels

Mavric

2 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

I pretty much agree with you but at this point, I think we should appreciate that we have fans at all and that people are still upset by losing.

Frost is it. He’s the last hope. I knew the over-hype before the season could have ramifications if we were slow to start. Fan rhetoric of “give him time” was paired with people saying anything less than 7 wins would be a disaster season. How do these things even go together?  Remember when Riley went 7-0 and lost to Wisconsin in OT in Madison?  He was anointed king, albeit temporarily. And that was 2016. Only two fricken years ago. 

Eh. I don’t think he’s in any way Nebraska’s “last hope”. It will certainly sting if he can’t get it done, but the money and resources Nebraska pumps into its program will always attract someone. 

Either way, it’s probably a little early to be having that talk two games in

17 minutes ago, Mavric said:

As I noted elsewhere:

We out-gained Colorado by 170 yards.  BYU out-gained us by 66 yards

We out-rushed Colorado by 285 yards.  BYU out-rushed us by 6 yards

Against Colorado we averaged 6.8 yards per play.  Against BYU we averaged 5.7 yards per play

Against Colorado we completed 65.5% of our passes.  Against BYU we completed 58.5% of our passes

Against Colorado we had 7 sacks.  Against BYU we had 3 sacks

Against Colorado our starting QB went down with injury when we could have iced the game with a couple more first downs.  Our starting QB played the entire game against BYU.

So it's pretty disingenuous to try to say to try to play the Riley/BYU card.  There are A LOT of differences.  Not that you probably care.

I didn’t say they were identical. 

But since you like the differences I reccomend you look up the turnover margin, Byu’s record that year and what Riley did against the sun belt team the following week. 

4 minutes ago, MountainMan said:

I didn’t say they were identical. 

But since you like the differences I reccomend you look up the turnover margin, Byu’s record that year and what Riley did against the sun belt team the following week. 

Your posts are all over the board.

Try to convey some kind of point you're wanting to make.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
2 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

I pretty much agree with you but at this point, I think we should appreciate that we have fans at all and that people are still upset by losing.

Frost is it. He’s the last hope. I knew the over-hype before the season could have ramifications if we were slow to start. Fan rhetoric of “give him time” was paired with people saying anything less than 7 wins would be a disaster season. How do these things even go together?  Remember when Riley went 7-0 and lost to Wisconsin in OT in Madison?  He was anointed king, albeit temporarily. And that was 2016. Only two fricken years ago. 

I don’t remember anyone really anointing Riley as king. We were a paper tiger who hadn’t beaten anyone, and the fan base (and media) knew it. A lot of people seemed to be waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Frost isn’t happy, and neither are the fans. We’re just recognizing the difference in losing a couple close games while trying to fix things, vs getting housed by bad teams like Minnesota.

We knew it was going to take time, and it may be painful.

• Fire 1

Another stat I think is useful to look at is yards per point margin, which essentially compares how many yards your offense needed to gain before scoring a single point against how many yards opposing offenses needed to gain before scoring a single point. Positive values indicate your offense needed to gain fewer yards to gain a single point whereas negative values indicate the opposing offense needed to gain fewer yards to gain a single point. The yards per point margin statistic encompasses a lot of other statistics as well, as turnovers, special teams, plays, and penalties all make it easier/harder to score points. 

Nebraska ranks #118 in yards per point margin at -8.4, meaning we've had to gain 8.4 more yards than our opponent in order to score a single point. However, Nebraska ranks #33 in yards per game at 464.5 yards allowed per game and #28 in yards per game allowed at 324 yards allowed per game. I commented earlier about the strong correlation between yards per game and points per game; the same holds true for yards allowed per game and points allowed per game. So, if Nebraska ranks highly in yards per game and yards allowed per game, and both those values are strongly and positively correlated with points per game and points allowed per game, why does Nebraska rank so low in yards per point margin? It's because Nebraska isn't capitalizing on the offensive opportunities through failing to convert in the red zone and turnovers, and is making it too easy for opposing offenses to score either via a shorter field (special teams & turnovers), giving up costly penalties, or allowing the explosive play. 

The two losses haven't come because we were anemic on offense or non-existent on defense. They've come because Nebraska has failed to convert on the 3rd and 4th & shorts, missed red zone opportunities, have turned the ball over, and allowed opposing teams a shorter field or have given up scores on special teams. I think those are all very teachable; the losses feel bad because they wouldn't have been losses had it not been for a handful of plays (a missed field goal against CU, failing to convert on 4th & 2, dropping a pass on 3rd & 19 that would have moved the chains, allowing a punt return for a TD, getting called for pass interference on 3rd & 9 and then allowing 3 straight 3rd & 9 conversions). 

• Plus1 1

My biggest fear is that the team will give up, especially if we go 0-3 which I think is likely. I think we have a chance if Martinez is 100% but I doubt we beat Michigan.

If they don’t give up, I still think we’ll beat Illinois, Purdue, Northwestern, Minnesota, the mystery rescheduled opponent, and Michigan State and/or Iowa.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 2
21 hours ago, Saunders said:

I don’t remember anyone really anointing Riley as king. We were a paper tiger who hadn’t beaten anyone, and the fan base (and media) knew it. A lot of people seemed to be waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Frost isn’t happy, and neither are the fans. We’re just recognizing the difference in losing a couple close games while trying to fix things, vs getting housed by bad teams like Minnesota.

We knew it was going to take time, and it may be painful.

I remember the Riley hype, on this board, by the writers, etc. but that’s what happens when you win 

On 9/16/2018 at 10:30 AM, Making Chimichangas said:

To be fair, many of us NEVER wanted Riley hired in the first place.  We knew he was a failure from the outset.

Who's "we" is there a mouse in your pocket.

He capped his first season with a bowl win in the most "Nebraska like" manner any of us have seen in....oh I don't even know since when.  We crammed the ball down UCLA's throats(62 carriers for 326 yards).

He started his second season with 7 straight wins.  Lost to #2 and #8 in the country on the road, then won the next two for 9 wins.  In the first two seasons he gave us an exhilarating win over a top 5 team, a bowl win in smash mouth fashion, and a 9 win season.  He also never threw players under the bus and represented the program with the utmost class at all times even after his departure. 

Truth is, the rug was pulled out from underneath him after 2016 compared to SF who's been given every advantage possible to get off on the right foot.  I'm not going to rehash that, but anyone who follows the program closely knows what I'm talking about.  

Some of you need to grasp the fact that you're not building SF up by tearing the last guy down.  All you're doing is undermining the program which is bigger than any one man, even SF who's team is currently looking a long ways away from a win, let alone a win over a top 5 team or a 9 win season which were both accomplished by the last guy in first two seasons.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, LaunchCode said:

He capped his first season with a bowl win in the most "Nebraska like" manner any of us have seen in....oh I don't even know since when.  We crammed the ball down UCLA's throats(62 carriers for 326 yards).

He started his second season with 7 straight wins.  Lost to #2 and #8 in the country on the road, then won the next two for 9 wins.  In the first two seasons he gave us an exhilarating win over a top 5 team, a bowl win in smash mouth fashion, and a 9 win season.  He also never threw players under the bus and represented the program with the utmost class at all times even after his departure. 

Truth is, the rug was pulled out from underneath him after 2016 compared to SF who's been given every advantage possible to get off on the right foot.  I'm not going to rehash that, but anyone who follows the program closely knows what I'm talking about.  

Some of you need to grasp the fact that you're not building SF up by tearing the last guy down.  All you're doing is undermining the program which is bigger than any one man, even SF who's team is currently looking a long ways away from a win, let alone a win over a top 5 team or a 9 win season which were both accomplished by the last guy in first two seasons.

Oh goody, the one Riley fan left on the board is back after Frost starts out 0-2. That’s convenient.

Let’s look at some of the facts that were presented to make Riley look good.

The bowl win over UCLA was only available to NU because other teams couldn’t get to 6 wins and NU had a high academic record under Bo.

The Michigan State win was nice, but it took a questionable catch by a WR who ran out of bounds during the route.

The loss to #2 Ohio State in 2016 was a loss where NU didn’t force one Ohio State punt.  It wasn’t just a loss, it was an ass-whipping.

That “amazing” 9 win season also included blowout losses to Iowa and Tennessee in the final 2 games. The 9 win season is among the worst 9 win seasons in recent Nebraska history.

Riley inherited a program that had 7 straight 9 win seasons, and made them a loser right away. In his first year he managed to lose to Illinois in the most unimaginable way possible. Riley also got blown out by Purdue when they had no other wins against FBS competition. Rikey’s loss to Purdue that season is 10 times worse than Nu’s loss to Troy this past week.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, LaunchCode said:

About that bowl win in the "most Nebraska way"...yeah and he never follwed it up or built upon that win.  He went right back next season to the same soft, finesse, passive passing schemes be'd lost with almost every year.

No one is "tearing the last coach down" so bye bye strawman argument.  What we are doing however is pointing out the facts of what happened with the last staff and understanding that there is always carryover from one staff to the next.

And I was on another board at the time of Riley's hire and was 100% opposed to it.  I was familiar with his work from his days at Oregon State and highly suspected he'd fail.  However, I realized that continual negativity wouldn't do any good so I supported him.  His 2nd year when we went 9-4 I thought, okay, maybe he has this stuff figure out; maybe I was wrong to think he'd fail.  His 3rd and final year he reverted back to his losing ways and when we lost to Northern Illinois at home I knew he was done.

I seriously wish you'd just calm down and give Frost a chance.  But no, you're not going to do that because that's not your mission.  Your mission is to sow as much dissent as possible.  To complain about everything, to over-exaggerate thd ills to push an agenda.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, Making Chimichangas said:

About that bowl win in the "most Nebraska way"...yeah and he never follwed it up or built upon that win.  He went right back next season to the same soft, finesse, passive passing schemes be'd lost with almost every year.

No one is "tearing the last coach down" so bye bye strawman argument.  What we are doing however is pointing out the facts of what happened with the last staff and understanding that there is always carryover from one staff to the next.

And I was on another board at the time of Riley's hire and was 100% opposed to it.  I was familiar with his work from his days at Oregon State and highly suspected he'd fail.  However, I realized that continual negativity wouldn't do any good so I supported him.  His 2nd year when we went 9-4 I thought, okay, maybe he has this stuff figure out; maybe I was wrong to think he'd fail.  His 3rd and final year he reverted back to his losing ways and when we lost to Northern Illinois at home I knew he was done.

I seriously wish you'd just calm down and give Frost a chance.  But no, you're not going to do that because that's not your mission.  Your mission is to sow as much dissent as possible.  To complain about everything, to over-exaggerate thd ills to push an agenda.

Boy if you hate passing schemes you better buckle up.