Offensive line play

lo country

10 minutes ago, Dilly Dilly said:

Looking for any reason for this, and looks like Seattle had a similar 'issue' last fall - https://www.sbnation.com/2017/9/25/16363040/seattle-seahawks-offensive-line-failing-very-badly-whiffed-blocks

That would explain the person saying 6 straight punts.....I'm assuming the key is to get into the DL to get the cut block ie stepping towards and across and actually making contact as you "cut" at them....

2 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

That clip is as pathetic as that time a few years ago our guy fell over prior to the snap. The OL needs to get their sh#t together. I thought they looked pretty decent in the CU game but we're atrocious in the Troy game. The drop off from Martinez to Bunch doesn't fully explain the disparity. They need to start doing it and quit talking to the media about it. I don't want to hear it anymore, I want to see it on the field.

I rarely listen to the player interviews except for Tre Neal.  Players have to show me something on the field before I consider their opinion worth listening to.  I listen to all of the coach interviews.

I'm dismayed at how feeble our line looks in that clip.

6 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

Guys, guys guys.

This is Scott Frost's plan..he has group cut blocks for his line.  if you don't like this block, hold the coach responsible...it's by design.

Here's a look at UCF:

gif__96_.gif

Interesting.  I noticed a difference between the two, tho, the UCF guys immediatly all got back up.  Our players just played possum.

edit:  oh, and they also made contact with the defensive players.  So there's that, too.  Boy, we really didn't do it right at all.

• Plus1 2

14 minutes ago, Undone said:

What a great find, @BlitzFirst. +1.

I have to agree.  Great to see the technique work.  Perhaps this was year 2 at UCF?   It does show that appears to be by design.  Just better execution.  Much like not running time off the clock in game against CU.  It's not what Frost does.  I'm sure that technique is meant to actually work.  Unfortunately, on that specific moment in time, it did not.  

I think the two examples, at least for me, solidify that this rebuild might take a little longer than anticipated.  I'm thinking maybe Martinez makes that play and it doesn't matter what the OL did or didn't do.

Oh, yes, of course - no one is (should?) be saying this wasn't on purpose. This was very much by design. 

Back to my point. Look at the correct video of UCF running it. Watch the video of us doing it. 

One, UCF offensive line is very coordinated. Not as "parallel" as you typically see, but they do all go the same direction. Very smooth and fluid. 

Two, our center just completely missed the call. He didn't attempt to cut, which leaves open gaps in your line with one guy to even attempt to block them. That linebacker doesn't blow up the play if he can't just waltz through the offensive line on the ground. 

• Plus1 1

Three... Bunch isn't Milton, he's not a Heisman-level QB, I get it... but that's also on him. Get rid of the f'ing ball. Your offensive line went to the ground because the entire play revolves around you getting rid of the ball in roughly 1 second or less. If you don't get rid of it, don't complain when you get crunched. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
6 minutes ago, Atbone95 said:

Oh, yes, of course - no one is (should?) be saying this wasn't on purpose. This was very much by design. 

Back to my point. Look at the correct video of UCF running it. Watch the video of us doing it. 

One, UCF offensive line is very coordinated. Not as "parallel" as you typically see, but they do all go the same direction. Very smooth and fluid. 

Two, our center just completely missed the call. He didn't attempt to cut, which leaves open gaps in your line with one guy to even attempt to block them. That linebacker doesn't blow up the play if he can't just waltz through the offensive line on the ground. 

The OP said hes pretty sure they weren't coached to do that sooooo