Other Teams with Coaching Changes

HS_Coach_C

I wanted to see how all the other teams that had coaching changes are doing so far this year.

Obviously not all coaching changes are equal, as some are due to poor play, some due to a coach finding another job they like better, some due to scandal, etc.

SCHOOL
2017 COACH REPLACEMENT
Arizona Rich Rodriguez Kevin Sumlin
Arizona State Todd Graham Herm Edwards
Arkansas Bret Bielema Chad Morris
Florida Jim McElwain Dan Mullen
Florida State Jimbo Fisher Willie Taggart
Georgia Southern Tyson Summers Chad Lunsford (interim)
Kent State Paul Haynes
Louisiana Mark Hudspeth Billy Napier
Mississippi State Dan Mullen Joe Moorhead
Nebraska Mike Riley Scott Frost
Ole Miss Hugh Freeze Matt Luke
Oregon Willie Taggart Mario Cristobal
Oregon State Gary Andersen Jonathan Smith
Rice David Bailiff Mike Bloomgren
South Alabama Joey Jones Steve Campbell
SMU Chad Morris Sonny Dykes
Tennessee Butch Jones Jeremy Pruitt
Texas A&M Kevin Sumlin Jimbo Fisher
UCF Scott Frost Josh Heupel
UCLA Jim Mora Chip Kelly
UTEP Sean Kugler Dana Dimel

I've bolded the teams that I think have looked better than expected:
Arizona - (1-2)
Arizona State - (2-1)
Arkansas - (1-2)
Florida - (2-1) - With a loss to Kentucky that ended a 31 game winning streak over them
Florida State - (1-2)
Georgia Southern - (2-1)
Kent State - (1-2)
Louisiana - (1-2)
Mississippi State - (3-0) - Mullen had them doing well before he left for a "better job"
Nebraska - (0-2)
Ole Miss - (2-1) - Average win over Texas Tech, but got curb stomped by Alabama
Oregon - (3-0) - Different scenario when a coordinator just steps in to take over a decent team
Oregon State - (1-2)
Rice - (1-2)
South Alabama - (1-2)
SMU - (0-3)
Tennessee - (2-1) - Two wins over garbage teams
Texas A&M - (2-1) - This team wasn't terrible last year, and Fisher has a lot of experience
UCF - (2-0) - Obviously Frost left them in pretty good shape
UCLA - (0-3)
UTEP - (0-3)

Obviously no one here needs a reminder, but it takes time to get things going with a new coach.  There was a coaching change for a reason, and you can't fix certain things overnight.  Luckily, I think Nebraska has the right guy in charge now so we shouldn't be showing up on a list like this for several decades.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2

I've long thought Dan Mullen was overrated.  69-46 Career is really not that great especially when you schedule a bunch of cupcakes each year & you have Dak Prescott.  In fact if you take out Dak's time and only look at in conference he's 16-24 (.400)  He had a lot of good faith built up at Mississippi State to be able to put up with his very average coaching skills.  I think he shortened his career by going to Florida where he will not have the same patience.

Thanks for the info!

• Plus1 1

7 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

wow.

Parents should let their kids grow up and deal with their own s#!t. I hope the kid has the decency to feel embarrassed.

I was going to say something like the parents should shut up and let the adults (players) handle the situation. These parents really get wrapped up in their kid’s careers. Now I can see how the Gebbia thing played out.

• Fire 1
15 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

I was going to say something like the parents should shut up and let the adults (players) handle the situation. These parents really get wrapped up in their kid’s careers. Now I can see how the Gebbia thing played out.

I agree that the parents should let the kids handle their own careers, however, it's easy to see how parents get more and more involved as they spend so much money in the kid's pre-college career with personal training, coaching, and other items.  The parents are invested monetarily, so they feel they need some type of payback for the kids' careers.

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I agree that the parents should let the kids handle their own careers, however, it's easy to see how parents get more and more involved as they spend so much money in the kid's pre-college career with personal training, coaching, and other items.  The parents are invested monetarily, so they feel they need some type of payback for the kids' careers.

It’s emotional payback they’re after not money. 

• Plus1 1

5 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Agree that it's emotional payback, but they get more emotional after spending tens of thousands of dollars on their kids' sports careers in their youth.

Attention, attention, attention

on one hand you can certainly understand that attention for your kids accomplishments can be intoxicating- on the other you want to say get a life. Preferably your own life 

• Fire 1
3 hours ago, Decoy73 said:

Chip Kelly being called out on Twitter by his QBs Dad. Not good. Glad we aren’t dealing with crap like that. 

The clip he showed of Chip getting on his kid, is just so incredibly tame.  I don't understand why this guy is so upset.  Hey, Dad - it's called, COACHING.  See if any other coach would have reacted any differently.  Probably most would be 10x worse.

I do like the reactions to the tweet.

• Fire 1
30 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

Attention, attention, attention

on one hand you can certainly understand that attention for your kids accomplishments can be intoxicating- on the other you want to say get a life. Preferably your own life 

Instinctively something just didn't seem right about these situations so I felt parents should leave it up to the kids.  @ColoradoHusk made a good point but I think @krc1995 probably nailed it.  If it is emotional payback partially fueled by money spent, I think the players have invested much more in blood and sweat.  Parents role should be advisory if the player asks for advice.  Most parents spend a lot of time and money on their kids with no payback.  That's part of being a parent.

• Fire 1