Tempo and Speed (or lack thereof so far)

Decoy73

4 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

I don't have an agenda.  Just because I don't see everything as rosy doesn't mean I don't believe in the coaches.  It means that I expected more from them.  There is nothing wrong with that

As long as you are considering all factors when setting expectations then you’ll be fine.  

If I'm reading between the lines correctly (or for that matter, taking what Scott Frost says at face value) then he believes that he is doing the team a disservice if he is not true to himself and his philosophy. That means (I believe) that the players need to learn to execute his system at the speed he wants to run it - NOT that he will change his play-calling/tempo philosophy. Now, I believe that clearly this was altered to make allowances for the limited reps that Bunch had coming in - and that conservative play-calling angered a lot of fans. But they don't know what the result might have been had we NOT been conservative. Instead of 1 INT, Bunch might have thrown several.

I also believe that in Game 1, even with Martinez, the play-calling was designed to build his confidence and not necessarily stretch the field. As the season goes along, I believe the plan would be to give the QB a little more rein, as they prove they can handle it/execute it, which also means opening up the playbook more as the season goes along.

After listening to the press conference today, Frost said the OL was gassed as some drives went on and they couldn't set the edge.  He said they'll need to get more of the OL up to speed so they can substitute more often.  My guess is conditioning isn't quite there yet.  The point of tempo is to run the Defensive out of gas not your Offensive.  It appears the much of the team is not ready to run an up tempo offense yet and they may be slowing things down in the second half for that reason.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

Up tempo gives you the advantage because the offense knows where it's going on the play, and should therefore be able to conserve effort, so not subbing and going up to the line quickly so the defense can't sub should put you at a physical advantage over a series of plays.  If the offense is needing subbed out it defeats the purpose of up tempo as the ball is held until the defense can also sub players.  If the offense is wearing down as fast as the defense, it's an indication they are expending too much energy on the plays and may not understand the play completely and are therefore not optimally executing the plays.

Even if they get the backup OL up to speed so they can sub them in, it may not help the up tempo part if the offense still gets tired running plays.  Either they are not in shape to run up tempo or they are not optimally executing plays and expending too much energy, or both.  When the coach says they were having difficulties on drives because people were getting tired on offense, I'll take him at his word.

I watched plenty of well coached physically fit defenses get worn out on quick up tempo drives this weekend.  If a well conditioned defensive player can wear out, a decently conditioned offensive player can too if they're running around chasing defensive players on busted plays.

18 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I think the thing that pissed off Frost the most about Gebbia transferring when he did was all the reps they “wasted” on him.

And the scholarship, which could have been given to someone else if he'd left a little sooner.

9 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

You mean we have not played as fast as UCF did when we have had two different freshmen starting quarterbacks in our first two games. Shocked! I am shocked.

Bunch is a redshirt sophomore.

• Plus1 1
9 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

You mean we have not played as fast as UCF did when we have had two different freshmen starting quarterbacks in our first two games. Shocked! I am shocked.

5 minutes ago, Toe said:

Bunch is a redshirt sophomore.

Yes, I realize he is actually a redshirt sophomore. But functionally and for brevity I lumped him in the same freshman category as AM. Either way, the reason(s) he isn’t currently capable of operating this offense at Milton-UCF tempo should be more than obvious.

• Plus1 1
On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 5:16 PM, Decoy73 said:

I know It's probably way too early for this topic, but has anyone else noticed our tempo isn''t even close to what Frost did at UCF.  No big surprise here as the team clearly isn't quite ready for WOT just yet, especially with the QB situation.  Speed however is an area that is an absolute must for this offense and IMO we are somewhat deficient there.  Not counting QBs, I only see 2 or 3 current skill position players who have the speed and skillset needed to optimize what this offense can do.  Maybe it can be chalked up to the newness of the offense or players still playing tentative, but I noticed this as a glaring issue against Troy.  

I'm not worried because these will come with time, experience and the right recruits, but until then, the potential of this offense and therefore Frost's ability to show his true play calling talents will be quite limited.  

What say you?

The main problem with speed offenses, even at the pro level, is stamina. Go run wind sprints 100 times in a row and see how you do. Add to it that you never get the ball thrown to you, you're just running your ass off. Imagine you're a big fat lineman and never take a break. I guess that IS the goal but you're not gonna do that over night.

I remember when Callahan first started with the West Coast offense he had our guys sashaying around snapping their fingers and doing jazz hands like a two-for-one Football game/ Broadway show. They looked like the Five Stooges bumping into each other and getting motion calls. It didn't take Callahan long to figure out he was too smart for his own good.