Excitement of hire “Distorted Reality”

PlzCoolerMe

Obviously Sip's been reading my posts here as he parroted everything I've been saying for three years ;).  This is a total rebuild.  I am, however, a little worried after this last game against Troy.  We lost to them at home and never had the lead.  Even though we lack the talent to contend in the B1G, we should have looked a lot better against a Sun Belt team.  Our O-line looked pathetic.  They were both slow and weak against freakin' Troy.  Troy.  Not the Men of Troy AKA USC.  Troy.  

I know people don't like the blame the players for anything, but these kids need to get on board.  I've been arguing with somebody here about the strength and conditioning of this team.  i think it's behind where it should be and that we were fed a load of poo about how much its improved.  He disagrees and that's fine.  However, I watched Coach Sitake of BYU talk last night about how weak his team was last year and how they stressed getting stronger this offseason.  Well, they out-toughed Wisconsin yesterday.  We need these kids to totally buy in.  Not lip service.  Total buy in.

• Fire 1
1 minute ago, southernoregonhusker said:

Obviously Sip's been reading my posts here as he parroted everything I've been saying for three years ;).  This is a total rebuild.  I am, however, a little worried after this last game against Troy.  We lost to them at home and never had the lead.  Even though we lack the talent to contend in the B1G, we should have looked a lot better against a Sun Belt team.  Our O-line looked pathetic.  They were both slow and weak against freakin' Troy.  Troy.  Not the Men of Troy AKA USC.  Troy.  

I know people don't like the blame the players for anything, but these kids need to get on board.  I've been arguing with somebody here about the strength and conditioning of this team.  i think it's behind where it should be and that we were fed a load of poo about how much its improved.  He disagrees and that's fine.  However, I watched Coach Sitake of BYU talk last night about how weak his team was last year and how they stressed getting stronger this offseason.  Well, they out-toughed Wisconsin yesterday.  We need these kids to totally buy in.  Not lip service.  Total buy in.

When Frost made the comment to get on or get gone he put the team on notice.  Tre Neal's comments put the team on notice.  I'm sure Stan's comments did as well.....

I was one who bought into the pre-season hype.  Not as much as previous years, but I did.  Frost said the right things, but preached patience...We all shouldve listened...It's like buying a new car.  Hell yea, I love it!  Then the payments start in and damn, car payments suck.  I still like the car, glad I have it, won't sell or trade, but ready to have it paid off.  

Ref Troy...They were 11-2 last year.  Beat ranked LSU at LSU.  They took Clemson to the wire in 2016....Brown has been the coach for 4 years.  They have total buy in. To him, his system/scheme etc.....We are not NU of the hey day. Hell, when was the last time you felt comfortable saying NU wold win a game running away?  2000?  If we're honest, its been close to 20 years since NU was well, NU.  We've been woodshedded more times than I can remember.  We've lost every streak save the sellout we had.  We've lost to NIU, Troy and almost lost to SDSU and McNeese State....NU is a long time removed form putting fear into any team....That's reality.  (Look at App St vs PSU...)  G5 schools are no longer easy wins.  

Frost has a huge task in front of him. It's not a re-build it's a do over.  he has some pieces, but I feel he needs many more to succeed at a level we (and more importantly he) want.  Look at the QB situation.  Had we another schollie QB on the roster, would AB really have been #3?  How many other top 20 programs have a walk on as a back up.  We are dangerously thin at OL, DB's and obviously QB.

Regarding S&C, no one gains 20 lbs of muscle in 3-4 months.  No one without PED assistance.  If that were the case, every school in the country would be knocking down our doors.  Were there improvements? Absolutely. But remember, some of the kids playing now just got here in  the fall. It's not like all the kids have been at it day in and day out since Dec.....strength and functional fitness and endurance don't go hand in hand.  I'm sure the S&C guys are still seeing how to get the most out of each guy to have them as strong as possible, with the anaerobic threshold to sustain that strength over short bursts for an extended period of time (think work capacity) as well as being functionally fit.  A great job has been done thus far in that regard with the so few soft tissue injuries.  But again, gains are still going to be made.  The product in the field is not the best we will be.  Another year in the S&C program and we will see even more improvements.  We are better than last year for sure. But look at the top teams in the country. Do we really look like them yet?....

Patience is what was said at the end of last year and the hiring of Frost.  Starting 0-2 and looking at a murderers row schedule, we need it more than ever.

• Plus1 3
27 minutes ago, southernoregonhusker said:

I am willing to bet BYU players had a decent S&C program already whereas Nebraska under Zach Duvall was starting from scratch. Zach will get results, but he only spent 8 months maximum working with the Huskers so far. I know he will succeed because he and his brother coached/taught sport specific training to my daughter and her results were measurably real. My daughter spent 4 years with Zach and I trust him completely.

2 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

What was the weather like all week in Lincoln?  I'm not making excuses for them but I saw it was 100 degrees on Sat.  Obviously people from Alabama are used to that plus some humidity.  I remember a few times in college it being nice all week and then on Saturday it being un-godly hot and it just zaps the energy out of you.  

Are you the same person who had the excuse that since the team practices in the mornings, they were playing poorly because their bodies were used to recovering at 11am?

I think Frost will be fine here and I’m not even that pissed off about being 0-2 but it is hilarious the depths people will go to to find excuses now that Frost is our coach.

• Fire 1

lo, it's been eight months and kids that age can get a lot stronger in 8 months.  Especially if they've been eating Twinkies and drinking Slurpees like some want us to believe.  Geez, I doubt Troy has anything close to the training tables and infrastructure in place that DONU does.  I know this is going to take time.  I've been saying that for awhile, but watching our O-line get pushed around after hearing the hype about how much better things are was surprising.  

3 hours ago, Kernal Corn said:

I am willing to bet BYU players had a decent S&C program already whereas Nebraska under Zach Duvall was starting from scratch. Zach will get results, but he only spent 8 months maximum working with the Huskers so far. I know he will succeed because he and his brother coached/taught sport specific training to my daughter and her results were measurably real. My daughter spent 4 years with Zach and I trust him completely.

I hope you're right.

I’m still excited that Frost is here . I love the new attitude, energy ,and fight of this team .I will admit I definitely underestimated how much of a mess he inherited, and how long it was going to take to fix it though . It sucks that we lost a couple games that we should have won, and now are faced with an uphill battle but with the “never give up” attitude, I feel like we can still compete with any of the teams left on the schedule, and win some games . Even with the losses and mistakes this team looks  much better than it did last year and will only get better . That’s what I was hoping for . GBR

5 hours ago, southernoregonhusker said:

lo, it's been eight months and kids that age can get a lot stronger in 8 months.  Especially if they've been eating Twinkies and drinking Slurpees like some want us to believe.  Geez, I doubt Troy has anything close to the training tables and infrastructure in place that DONU does.  I know this is going to take time.  I've been saying that for awhile, but watching our O-line get pushed around after hearing the hype about how much better things are was surprising.  

I hope you're right.

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/football/husker-power-returns-epley-excited-for-protege-duval/article_49cf9c50-529f-5412-9fe4-38643d4fac39.html

Well, digging deeper into the vastly needed culture change, Sipple just said on his podcast that post game there were some older guys joking, laughing and singing after the loss...  We have become more comfortable with losing than winning.  Any ideas who he is talking about?   

Specifically said it wasn’t Ziggy or Stoltenburg.  

• Plus1 1