Excitement of hire “Distorted Reality”

PlzCoolerMe

1 hour ago, PlzCoolerMe said:

Well, digging deeper into the vastly needed culture change, Sipple just said on his podcast that post game there were some older guys joking, laughing and singing after the loss...  We have become more comfortable with losing than winning.  Any ideas who he is talking about?   

Specifically said it wasn’t Ziggy or Stoltenburg.  

This also could help explain Frosts comments to players post game about getting off now if you don’t believe in where program is going...   

12 hours ago, southernoregonhusker said:

Obviously Sip's been reading my posts here as he parroted everything I've been saying for three years ;).  This is a total rebuild.  I am, however, a little worried after this last game against Troy.  We lost to them at home and never had the lead.  Even though we lack the talent to contend in the B1G, we should have looked a lot better against a Sun Belt team.  Our O-line looked pathetic.  They were both slow and weak against freakin' Troy.  Troy.  Not the Men of Troy AKA USC.  Troy.  

I know people don't like the blame the players for anything, but these kids need to get on board.  I've been arguing with somebody here about the strength and conditioning of this team.  i think it's behind where it should be and that we were fed a load of poo about how much its improved.  He disagrees and that's fine.  However, I watched Coach Sitake of BYU talk last night about how weak his team was last year and how they stressed getting stronger this offseason.  Well, they out-toughed Wisconsin yesterday.  We need these kids to totally buy in.  Not lip service.  Total buy in.

.................. well. That same Troy lost by 6 to clemson in 2016. Beat LSU in Death valley last year. Wen't 10-3 a year ago and has also been running spread up tempo offenses longer than we have.

Maybe, just maybe, troy isn't as bad as you think. 

And given we have a new head coach and a roster in upheaval with a lot of new faces out there, maybe we as fans should be a bit more understanding. 

• Plus1 2
12 hours ago, southernoregonhusker said:

I've been arguing with somebody here about the strength and conditioning of this team.  i think it's behind where it should be and that we were fed a load of poo about how much its improved.  He disagrees and that's fine.  However, I watched Coach Sitake of BYU talk last night about how weak his team was last year and how they stressed getting stronger this offseason.  Well, they out-toughed Wisconsin yesterday.

These are good discussion points. 

The thing is that strength & conditioning is actually pretty objectively measurable. Football strength programs usually now encompass more than just how much a guy can squat, overhead press, bench, clean, etc. But pick any of these things, including things like vertical jump - they're measurable. So if our team has on average greatly improved their numbers from where they were in January, that's a good thing.

Is Duvall the best S&C guy in the nation? Probably not. Hopefully nobody was out there just assuming that just because he's associated to Scott Frost and Scott Frost is associated with the Boyd Epley Hercules program.

But with all of that said, our team can continue to get stronger and better conditioned as the season goes on. We may not be where we need to be yet and that seems fairly reasonable to me.

8 minutes ago, Undone said:

These are good discussion points. 

The thing is that strength & conditioning is actually pretty objectively measurable. Football strength programs usually now encompass more than just how much a guy can squat, overhead press, bench, clean, etc. But pick any of these things, including things like vertical jump - they're measurable. So if our team has on average greatly improved their numbers from where they were in January, that's a good thing.

Is Duvall the best S&C guy in the nation? Probably not. Hopefully nobody was out there just assuming that just because he's associated to Scott Frost and Scott Frost is associated with the Boyd Epley Hercules program.

But with all of that said, our team can continue to get stronger and better conditioned as the season goes on. We may not be where we need to be yet and that seems fairly reasonable to me.

Well he was awarded strength coach of the year last year...

12 hours ago, Kernal Corn said:

I am willing to bet BYU players had a decent S&C program already whereas Nebraska under Zach Duvall was starting from scratch. Zach will get results, but he only spent 8 months maximum working with the Huskers so far. I know he will succeed because he and his brother coached/taught sport specific training to my daughter and her results were measurably real. My daughter spent 4 years with Zach and I trust him completely.

The bolded is key.

Read it this morning and one thing that we should all remind ourselves of when we look at this season:  

Meanwhile, it's important to remember Frost inherited a quagmire. There were zero Husker defenders who made the coaches' All-Big Ten squad last year. I'm talking first team, second team or third team. Not one Husker defender even made honorable mention. As for the coaches' all-conference offense, wide receiver Stanley Morgan Jr. (second team) was the only Husker.

Frost is working with a serious lack of talent and also some really bad attitudes.  What Sipple said about the older players is very worrisome, a few bad apples can cause a lot of damage, hopefully Frost and Neal's talks fix that problem.  This season started out the gate a lot different than anyone could have ever imagined and my guess is the craziness won't end now so buckle up and enjoy the ride.

2 minutes ago, r06ue1 said:

Read it this morning and one thing that we should all remind ourselves of when we look at this season:  

Frost is working with a serious lack of talent and also some really bad attitudes.  What Sipple said about the older players is very worrisome, a few bad apples can cause a lot of damage, hopefully Frost and Neal's talks fix that problem.  This season started out the gate a lot different than anyone could have ever imagined and my guess is the craziness won't end now so buckle up and enjoy the ride.

There is not a serious lack of talent on the 2 deep. 

• Plus1 2
Just now, StPaulHusker said:

There is not a serious lack of talent on the 2 deep. 

Heh, totally agree. 

It's like we've ignored the fact that our unbelievable phenom true freshman quarterback got hurt and didn't play against Troy. We still should have won without him, but with him in the game we probably win by two scores.

If they continue losing close winnable games, the people not buying in will be replaced by younger players who are trying harder.  They may not be as physically able, experienced, make mental mistakes, etc.  but if you're going to lose anyway, get the younger players game experience and set yourself up for next year.  The fact they already have so many new players on this years roster, might mean in another year most of the entire team will have turned over anyway.

Next year Vedral will be there for a backup QB, a new Freshman QB will come in and depth problems there might disappear over night.  Recruit some depth in the other positions and play the young ones.  If they had the depth and experience they needed, I think you'd already be seeing people getting pulled during games.

They aren't handing out a lot of blackshirts and the defense has been playing better then the offense.  I would imagine the grading and feedback isn't as pleasant as the last couple of years.

7 minutes ago, Undone said:

Heh, totally agree. 

It's like we've ignored the fact that our unbelievable phenom true freshman quarterback got hurt and didn't play against Troy. We still should have won without him, but with him in the game we probably win by two scores.

Theres still enough talent on the roster to beat Troy without a true freshman qb. Regardless of how electric he is

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1