Tanner Farmer on Buying In

knapplc

Not buying in and not quite getting it are 2 different things.

As far as not buying in, I don't think it would be a starter because I really don't think with expectations so low Frost would start someone that didn't.

So that maybe leaves someone on the 2nd string?

As far as not getting it, there might be a couple OL, a DB, and a LB that the light hasn't completely come on for.

• Plus1 1

Getting tired of these pressers, honestly. 

"we are this close" 

"we are trying so hard" 

"gotta get everyone to buy in" 

"we are trying too hard" 

Great, handle it in the locker room and show it on the field. It's like in the past 10 years there's been a secret "how to coach speak" class added to the football curriculum. 

Almost feels like by talking about it to the press the players are trying to convince themselves that's what's wrong and that's all it takes. Searching for answers. 

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 1

If players aren't pushing themselves and playing past last years output, they should be called out.  Maybe not on Twitter, but of course, that's the way most younger people talk to each other anymore.  In the old days, the veterans and leaders would gang up on you come Monday practice or the coaches might "gosh darnit" you down a string or two.

3 minutes ago, Lyons in the Sea of Red. said:

Almost feels like by talking about it to the press the players are trying to convince themselves that's what's wrong and that's all it takes. Searching for answers. 

I'd probably actually go so far as to say that more than anything it sort of underscores how pointless sports interviews are in general.

"Tell us about that loss on Saturday, Tanner."

"Tell us how you're feeling right now, Tanner."

"Tell us about the work ethic of the team right now, Tanner."

Almost painful to digest it all when I really stop and think about it. I like hearing from Frost for the most part; it's usually somewhat indicative of what's going on. But the players? I don't know.

The problem with pressers is you've got to have SOME kind of answer to the repetitive questions that come at you. And those answers are normally designed to NOT throw somebody under the bus, or to give future opponents any free "intelligence" on what you are planning. This is what has led to Coach-Speak and I believe the players are schooled on doing much the same. Short story: Don't look for much real info from pressers, unless you are adept at correctly reading between the lines.

Not really that big of a fan of talk like this.  Not that it can't be true, just doesn't really do anything productive.

Frost kind of brought it up unprovoked Saturday.  It kind of sounds like he was pretty unhappy with some of what was going on in the locker room after the game and he looked pretty pissed so maybe it just got away from him a bit.

I haven't listed to know if Farmer was asked about it or not.  If he was asked, he doesn't have a lot of choice but to respond.  

But I'd rather it not be discussed outside the team.

• Plus1 3