Tanner Farmer on Buying In

knapplc

15 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Not really that big of a fan of talk like this.  Not that it can't be true, just doesn't really do anything productive.

Frost kind of brought it up unprovoked Saturday.  It kind of sounds like he was pretty unhappy with some of what was going on in the locker room after the game and he looked pretty pissed so maybe it just got away from him a bit.

I haven't listed to know if Farmer was asked about it or not.  If he was asked, he doesn't have a lot of choice but to respond.  

But I'd rather it not be discussed outside the team.

i don't see where these kids should even be talking to the press....show yourself on the field, work it out with the coaches......stay off the podium.

3 minutes ago, Hunter94 said:

wow, how complex does this have to be?...........get coached up, listen and play as you are taught........or ride the pine, surely Frost can see who the the dead beats are?  

I agree with you for the most part.  However, if they are at positions with little to no depth, sending a guy to the bench may not be the answer.

56 minutes ago, Lyons in the Sea of Red. said:

It's like in the past 10 years there's been a secret "how to coach speak" class added to the football curriculum. 

It's not a secret. Every student athlete gets trained on how to deal with the press and not give them anything of substance or anything controversial. It's your fault if you're still paying any attention to their words :P

58 minutes ago, Lyons in the Sea of Red. said:

Getting tired of these pressers, honestly. 

"we are this close" 

"we are trying so hard" 

"gotta get everyone to buy in" 

"we are trying too hard" 

Great, handle it in the locker room and show it on the field. It's like in the past 10 years there's been a secret "how to coach speak" class added to the football curriculum. 

Almost feels like by talking about it to the press the players are trying to convince themselves that's what's wrong and that's all it takes. Searching for answers. 

I agree, I'm getting tired especially of the OL players talking to the press. I much preferred the days when they refused to talk and simply put their products on display on the field. Farmer may be well spoken etc. but I'd prefer their play was up to snuff and not have the sunshine blown up my back side.

28 minutes ago, Hunter94 said:

wow, how complex does this have to be?...........get coached up, listen and play as you are taught........or ride the pine, surely Frost can see who the the dead beats are?  

I've worked with people who THINK they are working hard....but they aren't.  Farmer goes into how when he first got to college, he thought he was working hard enough, and he wasn't.

• Plus1 2
  1. Hearing lots of attempts locally to explain this Nebraska two-game start. Many good points made and some over-rationalization. I think back to a conversation with Matt Campbell late in his first year, right before the Cyclones broke out in a big way, seemingly out of nowhere.

1 reply0 retweets1 like

Retweet

Direct message

I was struck with what he said about the challenges to get players to break old habits, believe, truly work hard. It is difficult to fix. And it always takes time. More than two games. But when/if it happens, he said, you know. Because the change is dramatic.

0 replies0 retweets3 likes

Retweet

Direct message
  • Plus1 7
  • Thanks 1

Good discussion!  Listening to players talk - it's not an issue with buying into the coaches or the new system but rather doing every single thing they are being asked to do.  So its getting to class/meetings on time, working harder etc.  Probably some entitled kids thinking they are bought in when they could give more.  

2 hours ago, JoshSker said:

Wasn't Farmer on the sidelines the last drive or two against Troy?  Never heard anything, but it was definitely him walking the sidelines during a critical 3rd down (last or second to last drive).  

Yes, Farmer was on the sidelines, you see him walk by as the camera is showing Washington on the bench after getting hurt. There's not much emotion to read from his brief cameo. Farmer came out after a penalty at 4:20 left in game, it was the 7th play of that series. Farmer returned on the following series at 2:20. 

Without looking at all the game, he may have played 83 downs prior to coming out. It's hard for me to think its anything more than he was being rested.

• Plus1 1