Tanner Farmer on Buying In

knapplc

16 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

I'm not off base.  People that have 0% chance of seeing the field are not impacting the game.  Therefore their "buy in" doesn't really matter

Wrong. Those are the ones who should be pushing the starters. Competition at every postion. If you don't have your back ups buying in, then they aren't pushing the starters so the pedal is eased up on. This is true for every single team. 

• Plus1 4

St Paul, let me add this tidbit. If the players behind the starters are not as engaged as need to be, so they can push the starters for thier position, why would the starters have to do more than what they already are? That is the best form of challenging your starters each and every week. If they have no reason to look over their shoulder, you will just get what you have, week in, week out!

9 minutes ago, Ziebol said:

Wrong. Those are the ones who should be pushing the starters. Competition at every postion. If you don't have your back ups buying in, then they aren't pushing the starters so the pedal is eased up on. This is true for every single team. 

Ha, sorry Z, I don’t type very fast and see you commented similarly to what I just stated. This factor (no competition = no forced improvement) can be taken to the bank! 

Every one on the current roster is important and integral to the success or failure of the team.  Guys talking sh!t bring everyone else down.  Guys on the scout team not going 100% don’t help the team adequately prepare for a game.  If the back ups are not engaged, they’re not pushing the starters....

The guy’s comments are spot on.  Get on board 100%. In every aspect.ie class, film room, social life, weight room, playing field, practice field etc.....I have no issue with the guys trying to find a reason for starting 0-2....I’d prefer brutal honesty.  I whiffed on a cut block.  I got burned twice on passing routes.  It’s in our head that if it’s third and long, they’re moving the sticks......That’ll never happen.  So until it dies we get the panned comments.  This close, a play away, fix the little things etc....

The reality is it took a while for the Huskers to get down.  It’ll take a while to get them back up.  Like Matt Campbell said, when it cliques you’ll know.  Maybe this weekend it cliques.  Maybe guys start playing for the man beside them... 

Troy pinned their ears back and ran through and around our OL. Bunch is unfortunately not a fit for this offense and when he couldn’t juke the defender in the backfield and took a big sack on the first drive, that was all Troy’s DC needed to know to figure out an attack to our QB run game and simplify our offense. This is nothing against the kid, but guys and gals, we had open scholarships and he didn’t receive one in a QBs room with just 3 scholarship QBs - prior to a transfer out - that included a transfer-in who has to sit out.

Unfortunately, the lack of buy-in is when players don’t dig deeper when served adversity. That takes playing for keeps to learn who steps up and who bows out, and how they respond to each other after addressing the issue. The leadership at the helm is strong, just tough when this dose of medicine isn’t the bubble gum flavored kind. 

• Plus1 3