Husker Chalk Talk: Concept Wednesday - Triple Mother****ing Option

Cdog923

29 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

Reset-Triple-Option.gif?resize=640,360&s

I feel like very small bits of execution on plays like this will refine as the year goes on and these will be big gains/TDs. 

I feel like Jaimes screws this up. I think the CB that's cheating towards the line is the initial read, and then the linebacker that he tries to block is who should be pitched off of? 

6 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

I feel like Jaimes screws this up. I think the CB that's cheating towards the line is the initial read, and then the linebacker that he tries to block is who should be pitched off of? 

Eh ... I don't really think so.  It would have been handy if Jaimes had worked up to that LB once the other one crashed hard.  But that LB that eventually makes the tackle is supposed to be influenced by the fake to Bell.  He does take a couple steps but it's not a great fake by Bell.  The OLB rushing hard makes Martinez get off to a slow start otherwise he might out-run that guy.  Plus there is a safety there to make a play if that LB doesn't chase Martinez down.

Still a 10 yard gain.  Spielman needs to keep up better.  :D

18 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

I"m obviously happy with the results of this play.  But, if anything, to me it looks like he should have handed it off with the blitz coming on the left side where he is running right into it.  He made a great move to avoid the blitzing player for a nice gain.

• Fire 1

14 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

This is an incorrect observation.  

He is in a zone blocking scheme, thats why his eyes never go out there.  If he tries to reach block a player who is essentially 2.5 yards out side, it will create a window for the LB to run through and disrupt the option at the mesh. This would have caused the option to string out to the side line, which is exactly what the defense wants.  The end rusher knifing in makes the edge shorter, the QB just has to make a quick read.   In hindsight, the QB should have handed off  as they had numbers to the field side. 

18 minutes ago, boach_clack said:

He is in a zone blocking scheme, thats why his eyes never go out there.  If he tries to reach block a player who is essentially 2.5 yards out side, it will create a window for the LB to run through and disrupt the option at the mesh. This would have caused the option to string out to the side line, which is exactly what the defense wants.  The end rusher knifing in makes the edge shorter, the QB just has to make a quick read.   In hindsight, the QB should have handed off  as they had numbers to the field side. 

29 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Eh ... I don't really think so.  It would have been handy if Jaimes had worked up to that LB once the other one crashed hard.  But that LB that eventually makes the tackle is supposed to be influenced by the fake to Bell.  He does take a couple steps but it's not a great fake by Bell.  The OLB rushing hard makes Martinez get off to a slow start otherwise he might out-run that guy.  Plus there is a safety there to make a play if that LB doesn't chase Martinez down.

Still a 10 yard gain.  Spielman needs to keep up better.  :D

I think we have some confusion: my initial thought is that Jaimes is supposed to block the DE that Foster ends up blocking, and that A-Mart's read on the mesh is the corner that crashes. That's what causes Martinez to keep. Had Jaimes blocked him, it allows Foster to reach to the MLB that eventually makes the tackle. 

To me it looks like 5 is the read for the handoff, so he makes the correct read although maybe it would have gone for a big gain anyway. The safety that is in on the tackle looks like he is the pitch read, but at that point Martinez gave up on the pitch and Spielman was not keeping up anyway. Also that LB that does most of the tackling just flew to the ball. Great play by him. In the future I would think Martinez would want to use Morgan as a screen and pitch it out to Spielman giving him a chance to dance down the sideline and be gone. 

6 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

I think we have some confusion: my initial thought is that Jaimes is supposed to block the DE that Foster ends up blocking, and that A-Mart's read on the mesh is the corner that crashes. That's what causes Martinez to keep. Had Jaimes blocked him, it allows Foster to reach to the MLB that eventually makes the tackle. 

The end is lined up inside Jaimes and he crashes hard to the inside.  It would have been almost impossible for Jaimes to reach him and make an effective block.

What you are describing very well may have been the original play.  But, when the End does what he does, plans change.

In fact, by crashing in hard, he pretty much eliminates Foster from reaching into the second level.

you cant "block a man" the option, you block a zone.   

17 minutes ago, boach_clack said:

4 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

With flow away, foster never makes it to the mike.  Some where in the scheme, the T or G missed and assignment though.  Hard to know what rules they are playing.  

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

The end is lined up inside Jaimes and he crashes hard to the inside.  It would have been almost impossible for Jaimes to reach him and make an effective block.

What you are describing very well may have been the original play.  But, when the End does what he does, plans change.

In fact, by crashing in hard, he pretty much eliminates Foster from reaching into the second level.

At most, he looks like a 4i, which Jaimes should be able to handle. Without the blocking scheme, though, it's a moot point, really. 

I really wish we had an All-22 look to see definitively. 

3 minutes ago, boach_clack said:

you cant "block a man" the option, you block a zone.   

With flow away, foster never makes it to the mike.  Some where in the scheme, the T or G missed and assignment though.  Hard to know what rules they are playing.  

My question then would be why Jaimes is letting someone to his inside go unblocked? The Mike also steps to the inside with Bell, so it would be possible. You're right, though; we're all just blowing smoke without knowing what rules they're using. 

6 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I"m obviously happy with the results of this play.  But, if anything, to me it looks like he should have handed it off with the blitz coming on the left side where he is running right into it.  He made a great move to avoid the blitzing player for a nice gain.

Good call - Can't see the whole picture, however there isn't a single defender on that top side.  Guessing downfield somebody would have had to make a one on one tackle.