User Ranks

Mavric

This was brought up last year and I had planned to take a look at it in the off-season but didn't get around to it.  I ran across it again today so I thought I'd bring it up while I was thinking about it.

The User Ranks (based on content posted) have been in place for a long time and - while I'm sure they were fine when the board was getting started - are probably a bit low for more of a mature board.

Taking suggestions for changes/additions to the ranks - both the name for the rank and the amount of content needed to get to each rank.  

Currently: Rank, Content needed for Rank

Scout Team           1        
Travel Squad       101        
Backup             301        
Starter            501        
Blackshirt         701        
All Conference    1001        
All American      1401        
Heisman Winner    1701        
Grad Assistant    2001        
Assistant Coach   2501        
Head Coach        3001        
The Bobfather     5001        
Wizard of Osborne 7001        
Legend           10001

14 minutes ago, GSG said:

Can you set it so a user can only create topics if they're Travel Squad or higher? (Unless they get a special exemption from a mod for people like opposing teams fans)

That is possible.  There are definitely some spots where it would be useful. But would also be a hindrance for a few cases like the one you mentioned.

For the record, I've never been a big fan of a post limit to start threads. It can be a headache in a few cases but, by and large, most new members don't abuse the privilege.

I think we should apply some sort of perspective when evaluating these ranks. Case in point, I really like the current breakdown. It fits approximately 90% of our board because most people are under the 10,001 post mark. Adding additional ranks will largely feel like it's appeasing a small portion of posters, or, that it would be unattainable for the clear majority of people. Not saying I'm against change by any means. Just something to keep in mind.

One suggestion - what about adding stars or badges to the max rank based on every 1,000 posts? Sort of like a 2-star general vs. a 5-star general.

Recruit.....................1
Walkon.................501
Scout Team.......1001
Backup...............1501
Special Teams...2001
Yellow Jersey
Starter
Blackshirt
Quarterback
Team Captain
All Conference
All American
Heisman Runner Up
Heisman
Ring of Honor
Epley Stregnth
Assistant Coach
Coordinator
Tenopir Team
All McBride  
Head Coach  (10K)
Coach of the Year (15K)
Bobfather (20K)
Osborne (25K)
National Champ (35K)
2X National Champ (40k)
Rimington Award  (50K)
Ferragamo  (75K)
Berringer  (100k)

13 minutes ago, admo said:

Recruit.....................1
Walkon.................501
Scout Team.......1001
Backup...............1501
Special Teams...2001
Yellow Jersey
Starter
Blackshirt
Quarterback
Team Captain
All Conference
All American
Heisman Runner Up
Heisman
Ring of Honor
Epley Stregnth
Assistant Coach
Coordinator
Tenopir Team
All McBride  
Head Coach  (10K)
Coach of the Year (15K)
Bobfather (20K)
Osborne (25K)
National Champ (35K)
2X National Champ (40k)
Rimington Award  (50K)
Ferragamo  (75K)
Berringer  (100k)

I like some of these but don’t quite get 2X National Champ and “Ferragamo” as the 2nd highest rank? Maybe pull out all the stops and make it Humm :lol:

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Enhance said:

One suggestion - what about adding stars or badges to the max rank based on every 1,000 posts? Sort of like a 2-star general vs. a 5-star general.

I think the way the board works is you can have something appear for each rank.  Thus, I think you could do this if you have a rank at every 1,000 posts.  

The 13 dots below your user name denote your rank.  But we can change it to something other than dots.

I like some of those @admo, but:

- the order is a bit wonky.

- personally, I know Rimington has an award named after him, but there's no Husker football as we know it today without Bob Devaney or Tom Osborne. They have to be somewhere near the pinnacle of all this.

- Not crazy about 25+ ranks. I could handle the 15-20 range.

- I'd be a fan of more ranks but nothing as high as 100,000 (yet, at least)

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I think the way the board works is you can have something appear for each rank.  Thus, I think you could do this if you have a rank at every 1,000 posts.  

The 13 dots below your user name denote your rank.  But we can change it to something other than dots.

I think the dots are fine. What I was thinking of was more along the lines of adding something to the name itself. For example, based on the current system:

:throwdabones1:Legend:throwdabones1: (maybe this is for 12,500 posts)

:throwdabones1::throwdabones1:Legend:throwdabones1::throwdabones1: (maybe this is for 15,000 posts)

:throwdabones1::throwdabones1::throwdabones1:Legend:throwdabones1::throwdabones1::throwdabones1: (maybe this is for 20,000 posts)

Those are comically large, but you get the picture. :lol: The increments don't matter so much to me but just giving a general idea.

9 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I like some of those @admo, but:

- the order is a bit wonky.

- personally, I know Rimington has an award named after him, but there's no Husker football as we know it today without Bob Devaney or Tom Osborne. They have to be somewhere near the pinnacle of all this.

- Not crazy about 25+ ranks. I could handle the 15-20 range.

- I'd be a fan of more ranks but nothing as high as 100,000 (yet, at least)

I was just having some fun and trying to be a little helpful with ideas.  No worries. 

Rimington, Ferragamo & Berringer are legendary Huskers.  And I couldn't think of anything cooler than that :lol:

• Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I think the dots are fine. What I was thinking of was more along the lines of adding something to the name itself. For example, based on the current system:

:throwdabones1:Legend:throwdabones1: (maybe this is for 12,500 posts)

:throwdabones1::throwdabones1:Legend:throwdabones1::throwdabones1: (maybe this is for 15,000 posts)

:throwdabones1::throwdabones1::throwdabones1:Legend:throwdabones1::throwdabones1::throwdabones1: (maybe this is for 20,000 posts)

Those are comically large, but you get the picture. :lol: The increments don't matter so much to me but just giving a general idea.

Ah.  I get it.  

Something like this:

:hiphip

:bonez

:throwdabones1::throwdabones1:

:Frosty::Frosty::Frosty:

:3DN::3DN::3DN::3DN:

2 hours ago, Mavric said:

Ah.  I get it.  

Something like this:

:hiphip

:bonez

:throwdabones1::throwdabones1:

:Frosty::Frosty::Frosty:

:3DN::3DN::3DN::3DN:

Yep, but it would only go with the 'max' rank and would just get added on as somebody hits one of the new thresholds after the max rank is achieve. So, Scout through Wizard would stay as is. Then, since I have almost 12,500 posts, my rank might show up as:

Enhance

:starLegend:star

But, since you're above 50,000, maybe you have the max rank at this:

Mavric

:star:star:star:star:starLegend:star:star:star:star:star