MGoBlog - Fee Fi Foe Film: Nebraska Offense 2018

Saunders

I hate how much I respect Scott Frost. I hate that Michigan is going to be locked into playing against this guy every year while Michigan State gets to pad every conference record with Minnesota (that was OUR rival!). I hate that the only guy in the world who could have made Nebraska into NEBRASKA again is the kind of Nebraska fan who would take the Nebraska job when Florida and LSU were ready to chuck $Texas at him. I hate that I like Frost more for doing so. I hate that I couldn't get through two drives (both which ended in turnovers) without grabbing my forehead to make sure my skull had a little extra buttressing as it tried to process everything Frost was doing. I hate myself for clipping six out of the first 11 plays.....

The real danger in this offense is Scott Frost. He's my pick for best offensive mind in college football, and I doubt there's going to be much controversy to that. Let me show you some of the looks Colorado had to deal with.

https://mgoblog.com/content/fee-fi-foe-film-nebraska-offense-2018

This is an amazing read.

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 1

I tried to draw up what I think is going on here:

Don't quote me on all those reads, but it's a fascinating concept. The idea here is to freeze everyone on the backside with reads and then outflank the defense on the field side. They motion the TE across the formation to flip the defense and get a man-or-zone read. On the snap they Run-Pass Option the SAM: if he's blitzing they have a quick hook route to get the first down before the MLB or SS can get down on that. I'm not sure if Martinez is reading the MIKE after that, or maybe reading what gap the nose goes into while making the MIKE think he's being read?

• Plus1 2

I like reading the UM comments below the article.  It brings a well-roundedness to opinions prior to Saturday's game.  UM does give up yards and shows weaknesses the media and prognosticators aren't sharing.  Some of their fans even think Michigan can lose easily if they fall behind.

For me?  I'm excited to see the boys keep improving.  

That was a really enjoyable read.  Kudos to Mgoblog.  The QB Dilithium scale with Navarre being a 1 Denard a 10 caused me to laugh a lot harder than I should have.  I'm still chuckling about it.  Do you guys remember Navarre in college?  He made Tanner Lee look like Crouch!

If nothing else it was good to see another fan base dread what's potentially coming down the pike.  Game recognize game if you will.

• Plus1 2

https://mgoblog.com/content/fee-fi-foe-film-nebraska-defense-2018

Last year Nebraska's defense was kind of a mess. S&P+ had them ranked 110th (out of 130 teams), 116th in rushing, 102nd in passing. Some of that was a rejection of Bob Diaco's switch to a 3-4. Most of it was a rejection of Diaco himself.

A thing about college football however is it's not that hard, with an injection of competence, to get a group of 4- and 3-stars from the 100s to the 50s. You all remember Hoke and Mattison doing that with Michigan's defense in 2011. You see what skills you have on hand, choose a system you know how to teach that uses those skills, and make this an identity. Voila: something approximating competence.

Through two games it appears Frost's fellow UCF import Erik Chinander has built just this sort of jalopy. They're not a GREAT defense, but they might be good? Two games against questionable competition (Colorado might be bad, Troy is a good Sun Belt team) and high-tempo throw off the counting stats but they're giving up 4.2 YPC rushing, and 4.9 YPA passing (counting sacks with the latter).

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1