*** Official Michigan Game Thread ***

Mavric

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

I haven’t had time to design a new model for getting kids off scholarship who are team cancers. Maybe there is one. Maybe there isn’t.

Regardless, wanting to get rid of the cancers that are impeding this transition doesn’t diminish our integrity.

Depending on how you do it...yeah, it kinda does. 

The end never justify the means. 

2 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

Please quit playing dumb. We've heard the comments from players about teammates not buying in, about the players that were laughing and horsing around post-loss to Troy. 

If those types of players are in a locker room, they're obviously not buying into the culture and are a cancer. And while Frost can kick them out of the locker room, he can't pull his scholarship. Ric myopically proposed we should just pull scholarships for these players, and I've explained time and again that's not realistic unless we want to adopt a SEC model of running players off. It sucks, but we have an obligation to these players unless they decide to leave to pay for their education. 

And considering we treasured a coach and his staff for, among other things, his honesty and integrity, what Ric has suggested kind of runs against the culture Frost is trying to instill. 

You and I have very different definitions of integrity. I see it as a two-way street, where we honor scholarships, regardless of injury, coaching changes, or other circumstance, for players who try hard, put forth full effort, and do their best. You seem to see if as a free-ride, where once a player gets it, he has no further obligations to the team or the university, we’re stuck with him regardless.

14 minutes ago, HuskerInLostWages said:

Possibly him and Neal are the only ones.  I haven't seen anyone else who absolutely deserves one.

Dedrick Young does not deserve one.

There are some seniors that just aren't good enough to be on this team with the goals we have. Honestly I'd probably bench Conrad and bring in fresh blood for experience right away.

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

I haven’t had time to design a new model for getting kids off scholarship who are team cancers. Maybe there is one. Maybe there isn’t.

Regardless, wanting to get rid of the cancers that are impeding this transition doesn’t diminish our integrity.

Nature boy do you have to do this in the football threads now too? I dont think your going to change anybody mind here either.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, lo country said:

If anything, it's a wake up call.  Forces a person to see reality, not their perception if it.  The kids who "get it" will use this as a positive moment and strive to improve.  Some, might realize this isn't for them and slide on down the depth chart....

Honestly.....it gives players two options......you are not a high level DI player.....so

1.  Move on

2.  Do what it takes

I don't think it's that abnormal with the laziness of the Riley culture.

Just now, Ric Flair said:

You and I have very different definitions of integrity. I see it as a two-way street, where we honor scholarships, regardless of injury, coaching changes, or other circumstance, for players who try hard, put forth full effort, and do their best. You seem to see if as a free-ride, where once a player gets it, he has no further obligations to the team or the university, we’re stuck with him regardless.

Unfortunately, that's how the system is set up. I'm sorry if reality isn't to your liking, but you don't get to create one of your own and play victim when people call you on your bulls***. 

• Fire 1
8 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

Wrong.

Explain to me a model where Frost can get kids to leave and we don't have to honor their scholarships without going the SEC route of making a kid's life hell until he leaves. I'd seriously like to hear one that preserves the integrity and honesty of our program that people purport to value. 

You bench them. If they become a problem, you give them the option to finish out their career on the practice squad or work harder to earn your place. I seriously don't see why this is a problem. Accountability is a good thing...if indeed we have kids detracting from the program with bad attitudes.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
4 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

Wrong.

Explain to me a model where Frost can get kids to leave and we don't have to honor their scholarships without going the SEC route of making a kid's life hell until he leaves. I'd seriously like to hear one that preserves the integrity and honesty of our program that people purport to value. 

Not defending or getting into this save to say if Frost puts on the heat, kids who dont want to work will leave on their own.  

• Fire 1