Buy Low, Sell High

Mavric

5 minutes ago, JKinney said:

It's crazy to me the amount of propaganda  being pushed out of the campus and media these days.  I am fully supportive of Scott Frost, but at what point does he receive any criticism for starting 0-3?  He has made numerous coaching errors to get us here see points below (reiteration of previous posts)    

-We are losing the turnover margin, and both Martinez and many of the running backs continue to run with the ball away from their body (this comes down to coaching). 

-Several 4th and short play-calls, have failed because for some reason Scott Frost refuses to run the most efficient short yardage play: the QB sneak under center. 

-His clock management has been very questionable, when we were behind late to Troy he bleeds the clock with plays for an almost 7 minute drive, but when we are ahead against Colorado we can barely run off a minute at all.  

-Michigan was certainly more talented than us, but not 56-10 worthy.  Frost had a very poor gameplan, and as other posters have pointed out, he lacks a significant power run game.  

-The unnecessary penalties continue to plague us, and they need to coach up special teams.

I am so sick of hearing about players who are a "cancer"  and not "buying in".  Not "buying in" does not cause you to fumble the ball, hold the ball away from your body (or are you going to argue that Adrian Martinez, and about 90% of our running backs aren't "buying in").  It doesn't cause you to commit penalties over and over and over (this is coaching!).  It doesn't cause poor clock management.  It doesn't cause you to continue running a scheme that the players either are not capable of running, or are not consistently running.  For example, has Scott called one offensive play under center yet this year?  I'm not saying change your scheme, but why not try something just to change it up.

Still 100% support Scott Frost, but it is becoming increasingly clear that he might have been over hyped.  He needs to do some learning and fixing as much (if not more) than the players.

The players, especially the new ones.....Martinez specifically....will need to make these mistakes in live games.  They need the experience of it to correlate to what they are being coached.

I guarantee you this staff is coaching them well.

2 hours ago, JKinney said:

-We are losing the turnover margin, and both Martinez and many of the running backs continue to run with the ball away from their body (this comes down to coaching). 

I think Held said UCF lost like 1 fumble from their RBs in 2017.  That comes from coaching.  The thing UCF had going for them, which we lack, is players doing as they're coached.

Coach Frost told us that it would be a 2-3 year process to turn this around. Many of us (I am very guilty of this myself), thought he was just underselling. Keeping expectations low so that if (or when) we lost to some of the stronger teams in the conference, we wouldn't be disappointed. 

But he told us. He said it would take time. I trust him. He's been successful. He was a big reason why Oregon was so successful under Kelly. He took over an underperforming UCF team and a year later had an undefeated season. It is not as if we just hired a washed-up NFL head coach, or some guy with zero head coaching experience, or some guy who was a career .500 coach. Coach Frost has been a winner at the college level. 

Many people have said that you can't totally blame this on the previous coaching staff for this start. However, this team looks slow. Most of the players don't look very good. Frost has brought in 50 new players, but now you have a mix of players from a bad team, with inexperienced players. And I'm not sure what the lack of "buy-in" is exactly that Coach Frost keeps talking about, but we know Riley's team was completely undisciplined. So, can it be that the MOST talented players among Riley's recruits are also the ones that WON'T buy in? I don't know.

I realize there are people here on Huskerboard who are "in the know" (and love to tell us about it). But what I know for sure is that Coach Frost told us he was going to turn the program around and he told us it was going to take time. The admin hired him knowing that. So now he deserves time. Not saying we cannot critique the decisions he makes from time-to-time, but in my opinion, we finally have a coach in whom we can have faith. So this is a coach, at least this Husker fan, is willing to give that time. As frustrating as that waiting may be. 

• Plus1 3
47 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

I think Held said UCF lost like 1 fumble from their RBs in 2017.  That comes from coaching.  The thing UCF had going for them, which we lack, is players doing as they're coached.

So Martinez and the running backs are just not listening to the coaches, and hence "not buying in"?  C'mon  this is what happens with every post...the main point of my post was:

Scott Frost needs to do some learning and fixing as much (if not more) than the players.  I get the pushback of, no IT IS ALL ON THE PLAYERS.  I just don't believe that to be true.  Scott Frost makes mistakes, he may need to adapt, and learn, etc.

3 hours ago, TheSker said:

The players, especially the new ones.....Martinez specifically....will need to make these mistakes in live games.  They need the experience of it to correlate to what they are being coached.

I guarantee you this staff is coaching them well.

You need to experience fumbles in person, before you can be properly coached to hold the ball tight and close to the body?  Remember in the 90s Solich wouldn't play Ahman Green until he learned to switch hands on runs to keep the ball to the outside?  Pepperidge Farm remembers.

download.jpg

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, California Husker said:

Coach Frost told us that it would be a 2-3 year process to turn this around. Many of us (I am very guilty of this myself), thought he was just underselling. Keeping expectations low so that if (or when) we lost to some of the stronger teams in the conference, we wouldn't be disappointed. 

But he told us. He said it would take time. I trust him. He's been successful. He was a big reason why Oregon was so successful under Kelly. He took over an underperforming UCF team and a year later had an undefeated season. It is not as if we just hired a washed-up NFL head coach, or some guy with zero head coaching experience, or some guy who was a career .500 coach. Coach Frost has been a winner at the college level. 

Many people have said that you can't totally blame this on the previous coaching staff for this start. However, this team looks slow. Most of the players don't look very good. Frost has brought in 50 new players, but now you have a mix of players from a bad team, with inexperienced players. And I'm not sure what the lack of "buy-in" is exactly that Coach Frost keeps talking about, but we know Riley's team was completely undisciplined. So, can it be that the MOST talented players among Riley's recruits are also the ones that WON'T buy in? I don't know.

I realize there are people here on Huskerboard who are "in the know" (and love to tell us about it). But what I know for sure is that Coach Frost told us he was going to turn the program around and he told us it was going to take time. The admin hired him knowing that. So now he deserves time. Not saying we cannot critique the decisions he makes from time-to-time, but in my opinion, we finally have a coach in whom we can have faith. So this is a coach, at least this Husker fan, is willing to give that time. As frustrating as that waiting may be. 

Preaching patience is fine. But there’s preaching patience and there’s saying that “this isn’t a four win team” and “the big ten will have to adjust to us” and “we shouldn’t schedule a makeup game 12/1 be cause we could be in Indy” (and boy i bet he’d like those guaranteed extra practices now). 

I think what people are questioning is the duplicity 

3 minutes ago, MountainMan said:

Preaching patience is fine. But there’s preaching patience and there’s saying that “this isn’t a four win team” and “the big ten will have to adjust to us” and “we shouldn’t schedule a makeup game 12/1 be cause we could be in Indy” (and boy i bet he’d like those guaranteed extra practices now). 

I think what people are questioning is the duplicity 

I think you're focusing too much on the coach speak that Frost gives to the media. It's as if there's a huge portion of the fan base that can't distinguish between a healthy level of confidence mixed with coach speak and taking what a coach says as gospel.

It's a weird phenomenon. If you've let what Frost says inflate your expectations, isn't that on you?

• Plus1 2
49 minutes ago, Undone said:

I think you're focusing too much on the coach speak that Frost gives to the media. It's as if there's a huge portion of the fan base that can't distinguish between a healthy level of confidence mixed with coach speak and taking what a coach says as gospel.

It's a weird phenomenon. If you've let what Frost says inflate your expectations, isn't that on you?

Coach speak didn’t inflate me to where I thought Nebraska shouldn’t lose to a sun belt team and by 46 to Michigan 

1 hour ago, California Husker said:

Here's a problem I'm having. 

George O'leary's 2013 UCF team beat Penn State in Happy Valley, also beat #8 Louisville on the road, went undefeated in conference, won 12 games including 2014 Fiesta bowl over #6 Baylor.  I think by anyone's standards we can safely say O'leary took UCF to the top of the college football mountain.  

So if we're going to blame MR the next 1-3 years for all SF's losses and failures then shouldn't the same standard apply to SF's successes at UCF?  Shouldn't O'leary get the majority of the credit for SF's wins. 

Is it possible maybe he wasn't what we thought he was at UCF and benefited greatly from the culture and players O'leary handed him?  Seems like a humongous double standard to credit him with full success for UCF after only two years while holding him completely blame free for the lack of success here and blaming it all on the last guy. 

If the reason were losing so bad is because there are players not "buying in" as SF has made a point suggesting more than once, then why doesn't he give them the boot?  Why are they practicing with the team, playing, traveling, etc....  The coaches job is to get players to buy in, what's he going to do differently to accomplish that since apparently what he's done now hasn't worked? 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

12 minutes ago, LaunchCode said:

George O'leary's 2013 UCF team beat Penn State in Happy Valley, also beat #8 Louisville on the road, went undefeated in conference, won 12 games including 2014 Fiesta bowl over #6 Baylor.  I think by anyone's standards we can safely say O'leary took UCF to the top of the college football mountain.  

So if we're going to blame MR the next 1-3 years for all SF's losses and failures then shouldn't the same standard apply to SF's successes at UCF?  Shouldn't O'leary get the majority of the credit for SF's wins. 

Is it possible maybe he wasn't what we thought he was at UCF and benefited greatly from the culture and players O'leary handed him?  Seems like a humongous double standard to credit him with full success for UCF after only two years while holding him completely blame free for the lack of success here and blaming it all on the last guy. 

If the reason were losing so bad is because there are players not "buying in" as SF has made a point suggesting more than once, then why doesn't he give them the boot?  Why are they practicing with the team, playing, traveling, etc....  The coaches job is to get players to buy in, what's he going to do differently to accomplish that since apparently what he's done now hasn't worked? 

What it actually shows is UCF had existing talent on the roster.

Frost is NOT going to throw his players under the bus.....no matter what.

And Frost can't simply "give players the boot".  He turned the roster over about as much as one can in the off season.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
13 minutes ago, LaunchCode said:

Any player that was on both that 2013 team and 2017 team would have been a freshman that was redshirting. Yes, Frost got some great players from O’Leary but he only started 6 total seniors and IIRC had 18 of his own recruits in the 2-deep in 2017. He rehauled the the roster not unlike what he’s doing here.

• Plus1 1

A big part of UCF's 13-0 season in my opinion was McKenzie Milton. And Frost & Verduzco get all of the credit for not only bringing him in but developing his talent. He finished 8th in the Heisman voting last year.

I think Adrian Martinez is that guy and that's one of the big reasons I'm preemptively excited about where our program is heading. Add Maurice Washington to that list, too.

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
7 hours ago, DrunkOffPunch said:

Any player that was on both that 2013 team and 2017 team would have been a freshman that was redshirting. Yes, Frost got some great players from O’Leary but he only started 6 total seniors and IIRC had 18 of his own recruits in the 2-deep in 2017. He rehauled the the roster not unlike what he’s doing here.

Shaquem Griffin and Matthew Wright are really the only standouts, the rest of the RSr on the 2017 season weren't much to write home about.

9 hours ago, DrunkOffPunch said:

Of UCF's 16 All Conference players 13 were Seniors and Juniors.