Where does Frost go from here

1 hour ago, Nebhawk said:

I don't think our new recruits are ready yet at some key positions.  We are not very good, and that may not change this season.  Playing some of our new recruits could do them more harm than good.  Two of our 3 losses are to Power 5 schools.  We haven't really lost a game yet where we can say for sure we had the more talented, fastest and most physical team on that field.  Just for the record, so far, we haven't been that team for a complete game yet.  We had several moments in the Colorado game where we looked like the better team, until the best player on that field was wearing Colorado jersey and catching every pass thrown his way.  

Everyone should keep in mind that we're currently playing guys who Coach Osborne wouldn't have put on the field for two more years. The other BIG schools who don't recruit three 4-stars at every position are in the same boat. The NCAA is very lopsided, it's an entertainment enterprise, and they don't care about equity.

I'm not sure this warrants a separate thread so I will just put these thoughts here...

I think what Coach Frost needs to is slow down.  What I mean is, play the younger players and take your time.  Huddle up, make sure everyone knows their assignment.  Go back to the basics of running the ball and using play action.  Focus on fundamentals and execution.  Get that, THEN increase the tempo.

I know Coach Frost will never do that.

But I believe the reason we're seeing so many mistakes is that players many times don't know what they're doing, and pressure to go fast amplifies those errors.  That is what I would do in Coach Frost's shoes.

On 9/22/2018 at 6:57 PM, southernoregonhusker said:

I'd start by redshirting all of the freshman.  This season is lost and they don't need to burn their shirts.  I'd sit a whole bunch of bad players.  Antonio Reed.  Sit.  Lindsay.  Sit.  The entire offensive line.  Sit.  Frost has to be a disciplinarian now.  Those who lack effort need to be shown the bench.  A new attitude must start now.

I posted a question about TL on another thread and nobody seems to know what happened to him.  From all signs this summer, things were looking great for him....   What happened to that? 

4 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

I'm not sure this warrants a separate thread so I will just put these thoughts here...

I think what Coach Frost needs to is slow down.  What I mean is, play the younger players and take your time.  Huddle up, make sure everyone knows their assignment.  Go back to the basics of running the ball and using play action.  Focus on fundamentals and execution.  Get that, THEN increase the tempo.

But I believe the reason we're seeing so many mistakes is that players many times don't know what they're doing, and pressure to go fast amplifies those errors.  That is what I would do in Coach Frost's shoes.

I think we owe something to the seniors that may have had three different HC's. They've  suffered as much as anyone. Frost owes it to them to play the best guys, regardless if they practice well or not.  He's got enough information now to see how guys act in real time and I'm sure its obvious to him who the playmakers are.  Just because we're 0-3 doesn't mean we should quit trying to enforce some moral code. 

13 hours ago, krc1995 said:

I think we owe something to the seniors that may have had three different HC's. They've  suffered as much as anyone. Frost owes it to them to play the best guys, regardless if they practice well or not.  He's got enough information now to see how guys act in real time and I'm sure its obvious to him who the playmakers are.  Just because we're 0-3 doesn't mean we should quit trying to enforce some moral code. 

To the bolded.

Frost doesn't "owe" anything to anyone.  He came in to put a winning team on the field and if the seniors aren't totally on board with this because of whatever happened before he came.....then, there needs to be a youth movement.  

Now, to the last bolded part about playing the best guys.....that's exactly what Frost needs to do and what I think he has shown he will do.  BUT.....I'm also sick and tired of this..."some guys just don't practice well" crap.  Our team sucks.  you better be bringing it every single day in practice to get better or you're not going to play.  If you are "not practicing well" and still starting or seeing major playing time, that does nothing but instill in the younger players that you don't have to "practice well" to get on the field.  

The only way this team is going to get better is having the right attitude and work ethic every day and not just on Saturday.

21 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

I like this idea. I watched the entire Wisconsin-Iowa game and neither team was lighting the world on fire, they were just doing the little things right and were playing sound, fundamental football. I kept thinking to myself "Why can't we do that?" I didn't expect Frost to take NU to the playoffs in year one, but I expected them to look somewhat competent. 

• Fire 1
4 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

To the bolded.

Frost doesn't "owe" anything to anyone.  He came in to put a winning team on the field and if the seniors aren't totally on board with this because of whatever happened before he came.....then, there needs to be a youth movement.  

Now, to the last bolded part about playing the best guys.....that's exactly what Frost needs to do and what I think he has shown he will do.  BUT.....I'm also sick and tired of this..."some guys just don't practice well" crap.  Our team sucks.  you better be bringing it every single day in practice to get better or you're not going to play.  If you are "not practicing well" and still starting or seeing major playing time, that does nothing but instill in the younger players that you don't have to "practice well" to get on the field.  

The only way this team is going to get better is having the right attitude and work ethic every day and not just on Saturday.

You have no idea who practices  well and who doesn't-nor do I.  I suspect- pure assumption on my part- that if given a choice between a guy that practices great but doesn't have the best physical skills for his position and guys that may loaf but are gamers- Frost will take the guy that practices well-am I'm not sure in our current position that this is best course of action.  This is only based on his interviewers and media assumptions so it's not fact but its my best opinion on the obvious talent gap and terrible game performance.  Although Damon Benning irritates me, I appreciate his opinion as a former player.  In a podcast last week he was asked if there were guys when he played that didn't practice well but saw a lot of playing time- he didn't hesitate and said absolutely and then quickly named Terrell Farley and several others. That was interesting to me.  It's also probably unusual, but it does happen. I don't think a coach can  be rigid.  We're not cutting cookies here. 

And I disagree- Frost and us fans-do owe the older players something.  Their years here appear to have been mismanaged- although I can't necessary confirm this either.  If nothing else, the environment has been extremely unstable and no one has had their potential fully developed.  The program has done them a disservice and their eligibility years are being wasted.  I'm sure they would rather be a part of a winning team than a third rebuild one. I wonder how many regret coming to Nebraska?  The thought makes me sad. 

I'm not a psychologist, but I expect this team to win next Saturday and every Saturday after.  Frost is learning.  I don't think he or his staff could possibly predicted this start and their young also, but I still expect them to make the necessary adjustments to win this year.