Where does Frost go from here

10 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

You have no idea who practices  well and who doesn't-nor do I.  I suspect- pure assumption on my part- that if given a choice between a guy that practices great but doesn't have the best physical skills for his position and guys that may loaf but are gamers- Frost will take the guy that practices well-am I'm not sure in our current position that this is best course of action.  This is only based on his interviewers and media assumptions so it's not fact but its my best opinion on the obvious talent gap and terrible game performance.  Although Damon Benning irritates me, I appreciate his opinion as a former player.  In a podcast last week he was asked if there were guys when he played that didn't practice well but saw a lot of playing time- he didn't hesitate and said absolutely and then quickly named Terrell Farley and several others. That was interesting to me.  It's also probably unusual, but it does happen. I don't think a coach can  be rigid.  We're not cutting cookies here. 

Good friggen Lord.  We are on a 7 game losing streak for the first time since Christ walked on earth.  And.....we are still going to tell players they don't have to practice as hard as they possibly can to try to get better.  

Pretty sure Frost doesn't agree with you.

10 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

And I disagree- Frost and us fans-do owe the older players something.  Their years here appear to have been mismanaged- although I can't necessary confirm this either.  If nothing else, the environment has been extremely unstable and no one has had their potential fully developed.  The program has done them a disservice and their eligibility years are being wasted.  I'm sure they would rather be a part of a winning team than a third rebuild one. I wonder how many regret coming to Nebraska?  The thought makes me sad. 

We as fans owe then a "thanks for coming here and playing for us and entertaining us" even though the outcome wasn't what any of us wanted.

FROST doesn't owe them anything other than a chance to prove they deserve to play...and they do that by busting their balls every day.  For him, it's who is working their ass off the hardest to be the best player on Saturday afternoons and give us the best chance to win games.  To him...nothing else should matter.

This isn't HS or middle school anymore.  I have had friends and friend's kids go down there to play and barely get on the field or not at all after 4 years.  I stopped really feeling sorry for them because they had the chance to live a dream....a dream that thousands of other Nebraska kids lived with but never even got that far.  I appreciate their efforts and wish them well the rest of their lives.  But, I fail to see where the program owes them playing time or starting time.

That attitude is how you end up with a 7 game losing streak.

• Fire 1

22 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

I think what Coach Frost needs to is slow down.  What I mean is, play the younger players and take your time.  Huddle up, make sure everyone knows their assignment.  Go back to the basics of running the ball and using play action.  Focus on fundamentals and execution.  Get that, THEN increase the tempo.

My main observation is that this isn't what he did at UCF, and I think we'd probably agree the route he went with them paid off. He did say that he dialed the playbook down to 80% that first year, but that seemed to have been about it in terms of simplification.

In one year he got a good quarterback recruit in there as a true freshman to a place where he and the entire offense was just deadly in 2017. I believe he's doing the same here with Martinez.

In other words, as painful as this is for fans, Frost, and the players themselves, this seems to be his blueprint he used at UCF. I'm not too worried.

• Plus1 2
56 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I do say I feel a little bad for Frost right now. He is taking alot of heat for problems he did not create. I guess thats what $5 million gets you is pressure. But I do feel bad for the fact he has a crappy team and he has to answer for it. 3 games in I dont think is his problem yet. 

It's just going to make it all the sweeter when we're back to playing Top 10 football.   :)

58 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I do say I feel a little bad for Frost right now. He is taking alot of heat for problems he did not create. I guess thats what $5 million gets you is pressure. But I do feel bad for the fact he has a crappy team and he has to answer for it. 3 games in I dont think is his problem yet. 

I agree with everything here. In my mind this year was going to be a bust regardless of coach. He just needs to get some things going in the right direction. I would love to make a bowl game because we desperately need the practice. However, that is looking more and more unlikely. 

My senior year of high school, I took this AP Calculus class that was totally kicking my ass. I was a 4.0 student in HS, but halfway thru the year, I was barely pulling a C in the class and had even failed a couple quizzes for the first time in my life. My parents didn't want me to take the AP test at the end of the year, the first time they had ever expressed doubt about my academic ability. It was miserable. But at some point in the spring, my brain figured it out, and it was like a light switch had suddenly flipped. I aced the remaining work that year and crushed the AP test.

Scott Frost has a bunch of nervous young kids in his Calculus class right now. But that light switch might get flipped any week now.

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 1

Agree with Ulty.  The "ah-ha" moment is coming.  One concern I do have though is the offensive line.  If they improve over the course of the year, then it's fine but I have a hard time believing we got man-handled by michigan simply because our line is inferior in talent by a large scale.  I can't imagine the line at UCF was so much better than our because that line did fine against Auburn.

6 minutes ago, Ulty said:

My senior year of high school, I took this AP Calculus class that was totally kicking my ass. I was a 4.0 student in HS, but halfway thru the year, I was barely pulling a C in the class and had even failed a couple quizzes for the first time in my life. My parents didn't want me to take the AP test at the end of the year, the first time they had ever expressed doubt about my academic ability. It was miserable. But at some point in the spring, my brain figured it out, and it was like a light switch had suddenly flipped. I aced the remaining work that year and crushed the AP test.

Scott Frost has a bunch of nervous young kids in his Calculus class right now. But that light switch might get flipped any week now.

That was me in organic chemistry. It took until halfway through the second semester before it finally clicked and it became easier.

3 minutes ago, irafreak said:

Agree with Ulty.  The "ah-ha" moment is coming.  One concern I do have though is the offensive line.  If they improve over the course of the year, then it's fine but I have a hard time believing we got man-handled by michigan simply because our line is inferior in talent by a large scale.  I can't imagine the line at UCF was so much better than our because that line did fine against Auburn.

That was also their second year in Frost's system when they played Auburn

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Good friggen Lord.  We are on a 7 game losing streak for the first time since Christ walked on earth.  And.....we are still going to tell players they don't have to practice as hard as they possibly can to try to get better.  

Pretty sure Frost doesn't agree with you.

We as fans owe then a "thanks for coming here and playing for us and entertaining us" even though the outcome wasn't what any of us wanted.

FROST doesn't owe them anything other than a chance to prove they deserve to play...and they do that by busting their balls every day.  For him, it's who is working their ass off the hardest to be the best player on Saturday afternoons and give us the best chance to win games.  To him...nothing else should matter.

This isn't HS or middle school anymore.  I have had friends and friend's kids go down there to play and barely get on the field or not at all after 4 years.  I stopped really feeling sorry for them because they had the chance to live a dream....a dream that thousands of other Nebraska kids lived with but never even got that far.  I appreciate their efforts and wish them well the rest of their lives.  But, I fail to see where the program owes them playing time or starting time.

That attitude is how you end up with a 7 game losing streak.

And life isn’t fair. Play the best players whomever they may be. Frost has been talking about installing a culture and maybe he has-a perpetual losing one. I don’t see any improvements or grains of confidence. 

In no no means do I mean giving anything to seniors except maybe backing the eff off of them. Expecting them to automatically be leaders because the man who sittith to the right of the man who sittith to the right of God is now their coach, is a bit much. BUT if they are the most athletic guy at their respective position and if they put the team in the best position to win/ then they should play. Bottom line. Winning cures all

Just stop with the bench everybody, and pull all the scholarships crap. Frost is already playing the players he thinks will give us the best chance to compete, and they aren't good enough. If your top guys aren't that good putting in the 2nd and 3rd string guys will only make things worse. He may make some personnel changes here and there, as he sees fit , but a large roster shuffle isn't going to happen, nor should it.    

Where does Frost go from here? Forward! We still have a bunch of football games to play. Practice, and prepare, as hard as you can every week and get ready for the next game.Work on fixing the things you can and get better as a team. Keep playing hard and coaching every play of every game and dont give up, There is no other choice. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 2

14 minutes ago, jsneb83 said:

That was me in organic chemistry. It took until halfway through the second semester before it finally clicked and it became easier.

Great analogy, and I really mean that- but what gives you the indication that a light has switched?

everyone knows someone that didn’t do homework yet aced their tests. It’s not fair but sometimes things are more intuitive to one and others have practice it a little more. 

2 minutes ago, Big Red 40 said:

Just stop with the bench everybody, and pull all the scholarships crap. Frost is already playing the players he thinks will give us the best chance to compete, and they aren't good enough. If your top guys aren't that good putting in the 2nd and 3rd string guys will only make things worse. He may make some personnel changes here and there, as he sees fit , but a large roster shuffle isn't going to happen, nor should it.    

Where does Frost go from here? Forward! We still have a bunch of football games to play. Practice, and prepare, as hard as you can every week and get ready for the next game.Work on fixing the things you can and get better as a team. Keep playing hard and coaching every play of every game and dont give up, There is no other choice. 

Wow. Then we are really terrible. Hes stated that how guys  practice is very important to him and that details matter. Like showing up dressed appropriately to meetings and other things. And that’s nice. Might as well nitpick the losers some more. 

2 hours ago, irafreak said:

A better comparison would be UCF-Michigan the year before, they got whipped 14-51.

• Plus1 1
6 hours ago, Undone said:

My main observation is that this isn't what he did at UCF, and I think we'd probably agree the route he went with them paid off. He did say that he dialed the playbook down to 80% that first year, but that seemed to have been about it in terms of simplification.

In one year he got a good quarterback recruit in there as a true freshman to a place where he and the entire offense was just deadly in 2017. I believe he's doing the same here with Martinez.

In other words, as painful as this is for fans, Frost, and the players themselves, this seems to be his blueprint he used at UCF. I'm not too worried.

To be clear, I'm not worried either.  I just think that if players are struggling mentally, maybe slowing down would be beneficial.  Like I said, I know Frost will never do that though.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/23/2018 at 3:52 PM, Making Chimichangas said:

I'm not sure this warrants a separate thread so I will just put these thoughts here...

I think what Coach Frost needs to is slow down.  What I mean is, play the younger players and take your time.  Huddle up, make sure everyone knows their assignment.  Go back to the basics of running the ball and using play action.  Focus on fundamentals and execution.  Get that, THEN increase the tempo.

I know Coach Frost will never do that.

But I believe the reason we're seeing so many mistakes is that players many times don't know what they're doing, and pressure to go fast amplifies those errors.  That is what I would do in Coach Frost's shoes.

Yes,  I definitely agree