Offensive Playcalling Thoughts?

Red_Payne

Just want to get a sense of what you all think of our offensive play-calling.

I saw Michigan consistently load the box & play press coverage outside. Essentially, they were daring us to throw downfield.

After the INT, I saw play-calling that played right into Mich's hands; sideline throws; quick rollout/short routes, quick outside runs...

There is a major talent gap (that's another argument, though); perhaps the coaches simply had no faith that we could pass protect effectively enough to throw the ball downfield; and, in all likelihood, they are right... But I would have like to see us put in an extra blocker, and at least try... give your play-makers a chance to be electric.

I think the play calling is as good as it gets at this point. Our tackles consistently whiff when given the opportunity; our center is out muscled consistently; and our tightends and receivers are pretty boys who don't block, and dare I say avoid blocking.

So that eliminates our run plays, and screens. The only thing left are 50/50 balls but our receivers can't consistently catch.

• Plus1 2

I have felt for the several years, including Frost’s games, that we call too many safe plays instead of calling plays for first downs and points.  Football should always be a North-south game.  We waste too many play throwing into the flats or trying to run wide.  We just don’t have the speed to block outside and our guys don’t have the speed or experience to run option like plays.  

7 minutes ago, The Dude said:

What happened to the argument that spread offenses don't require a good offensive line because they're all about getting the ball to your best athletes in space?

I don’t know who ever said that but I’ve never agreed with that statement.

That could have been true 10 years ago when the spread started to come into the game