Offensive Playcalling Thoughts?

Red_Payne

I'm much more worried about execution. We should have had an easy TD for example on the 1st drive, it ends up an INT. Too many examples of mistakes to even bother listing them. Frost is a good play caller maybe a great one. Don't judge him simply on the rebuild going on. Look at what he did at UCF.

Don Brown and his blitz game exposed the offense today. He's really good at doing that. Plus we got whipped up front.

37 minutes ago, Undone said:

We have zero vertical threat when there's no protection. We've tried to throw outside, and we've tried to run outside. Didn't work.

So normally you'd go vertical at that point, but we just can't do that when there's no protection.

Conrad is really struggling. The whole offensive line is.

This.  Can't get vertical with no pass pro.  Can't do a RPO with no time.  No zone read options when the OL is getting blown up.......No counters , traps or misdirection as OL getting blown up.  Can't set up screen plays because we can't block......Can force them out of the box with passing game because we have no time to pass. Most teams not crowding as they are getting home with hat on hat......It starts up front and we don't.

To pass you need to have a reasonable run threat and vice versa.  To have either one, you need to block (both the line and the receivers/backs).   I haven't watched last week's game nor this one but you don't have to watch to know we are NOT blocking much at all.   Option plays and other 'wide' runs don't work without excellent perimeter blocks by TEs and WRs.   Clearly we don't do that much.   You need good up front push to run the ball inside (except for the change of pace draws and so on).   We CAN'T push the line of scrimmage against most D lines.  

It doesn't matter what kind of scheme you can't run it if you dont block and tackle, you lose.

We are not doing either one well enough to win games.   If the team doesn't quit, we can still get better but obviously we are a LONG way from being 'relevant' unless you are talking about being the team everybody likes to schedule for 'homecoming'.   UGH

2 minutes ago, lo country said:

This.  Can't get vertical with no pass pro.  Can't do a RPO with no time.  No zone read options when the OL is getting blown up.......No counters , traps or misdirection as OL getting blown up.  Can't set up screen plays because we can't block......Can force them out of the box with passing game because we have no time to pass. Most teams not crowding as they are getting home with hat on hat......It starts up front and we don't.

I've seen a number of top teams in which the QB just does a 3 step dropback, heaves the ball up high and far to a WR who is one-on-one.... even with an unblocked rusher... heck, it's a staple in their playbook.

You can't consistently throw the ball downfield with terrible protection (or do anything, really)... but you can find ways to throw the ball downfield (at least, occasionally) even with little time.

I saw almost none of that.

I want to see our coaching staff at least give these WRs a shot to make a play downfield.

2 hours ago, Red_Payne said:

I've seen a number of top teams in which the QB just does a 3 step dropback, heaves the ball up high and far to a WR who is one-on-one.... even with an unblocked rusher... heck, it's a staple in their playbook.

You can't consistently throw the ball downfield with terrible protection (or do anything, really)... but you can find ways to throw the ball downfield (at least, occasionally) even with little time.

I saw almost none of that.

I want to see our coaching staff at least give these WRs a shot to make a play downfield.

SF will not run a jump ball offense