What Did We Learn? Michigan

The Duke

2 hours ago, Saunders said:

Screen Shot 2018-09-22 at 4.07.05 PM.png

Penn State got drilled by Michigan in 2016, before winning the conference. Not that I expect that turnaround this year, but just showing that it can happen. Remember, this is a team that was getting crushed by bad teams late last year, including giving up 54 to a Minnesota team that was shut out their last two games.

Look at the narrative among the media. They're throwing Taggart, Kelly, and Sumlin under the bus for terrible starts, but not Frost. Why? Because they have more faith in him that some of our own fans, and see the long game.

Uh, notice that there is a little 7 next to that Penn State? They were a ranked team that laid an egg.  We got smoked and there is no anomaly here. This is our new normal.  Welcome to reality, Duke.  Nebraska football has been on a slow slide into this since the championship embarrassment against Miami 15 years ago.  You sound like all those retailers telling us how strong their sales are as they get eaten up by Amazon.  Examine reality and adjust your course accordingly.  Quit thinking this is the 1990's.  Apparently only Tiger Woods can go back in time and regain that glory!

SMU played Michigan 21 points closer than we did. Boise State beat Troy by 36. Do I think being 0-3 right now and setting the record for the largest deficit at halftime is a talent issue?

No. We lost to Michigan because they have more talent. We got blown out by Michigan because our coaches haven’t done anything at this point to eliminate turnovers, penalties, and missed assignments/alignments. And sadly, it doesn’t appear any better a third of the way through the season than it did last year. In some areas, it actually looks worse.

This is about the worst start you could have seen. And it’s not attributed to a thunderstorm, or a dirty play from Colorado. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

I believe that we need to pray for a miracle to become bowl eligible for a decent recruiting year.  

I don’t think the QB is the problem. The lines are our problem.  The offensive line are too fat and slow for just about everything.  The backs don’t seem to be effective blockers either.

The D Line is not dominating the line of scrimmage.  Don’t know if it’s the scheme or a lack of discipline.  We have not been very successful turning outside runs back in or maintaining lane coverages when putting on the pressure.  They need to shed blocks better than they have done.  

2 minutes ago, WearenotIowa said:

I think Frost should go back to Orlando because his weak ass s#!t that works in Small college does not work in big city football. YOU are Not Iowa.  Lincoln/ Omaha does not have the D 1 recruits as Orlando  To be a big time program let the players start beating the white girls again like Tom Osborn again

Screenshot_2018-09-22-17-20-59.png

• Plus1 2

2 minutes ago, WearenotIowa said:

I think Frost should go back to Orlando because his weak ass s#!t that works in Small college does not work in big city football. YOU are Not Iowa.  Lincoln/ Omaha does not have the D 1 recruits as Orlando  To be a big time program let the players start beating the white girls again like Tom Osborn again

eh?

5 minutes ago, WearenotIowa said:

Tell us how you REALLY feel.....

22 minutes ago, MountainMan said:

SMU played Michigan 21 points closer than we did. Boise State beat Troy by 36. Do I think being 0-3 right now and setting the record for the largest deficit at halftime is a talent issue?

No. We lost to Michigan because they have more talent. We got blown out by Michigan because our coaches haven’t done anything at this point to eliminate turnovers, penalties, and missed assignments/alignments. And sadly, it doesn’t appear any better a third of the way through the season than it did last year. In some areas, it actually looks worse.

This is about the worst start you could have seen. And it’s not attributed to a thunderstorm, or a dirty play from Colorado. 

I want to correct you on one thing.  

We ARE 0-3 because of a thunderstorm.  Because without that, we might be 0-4 right now.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
10 minutes ago, WearenotIowa said:

And you are free to cheer for any other team, however don’t jump back on the bandwagon once it’s turned around. This is going to take time. If you don’t understand that, you don’t understand football. He inherited a s#!tshow, this will not be an overnight turn around. Be patient, bide your time and smile knowingly at the losses knowing that the future is bright. This is rock bottom. Ask any addict, need to hit rock bottom before recovery occurs. There are literally over 100 other teams to be a fan of, move on if necessary

5 minutes ago, HuskerJax said:

And you are free to cheer for any other team, however don’t jump back on the bandwagon once it’s turned around. This is going to take time. If you don’t understand that, you don’t understand football. He inherited a s#!tshow, this will not be an overnight turn around. Be patient, bide your time and smile knowingly at the losses knowing that the future is bright. This is rock bottom. Ask any addict, need to hit rock bottom before recovery occurs. There are literally over 100 other teams to be a fan of, move on if necessary

Dude... this is clearly an Iowa fan trolling. 

33 minutes ago, MountainMan said:

And you think the talent issue and the horrible coaching these players have received over the last 3-4 years can be reversed in 9 months? Take a breath and look at the reality of the situation, this is going to take some time. This whole GIVE ME SUCCESS NOW! thing is ridiculous. Devaney wasn’t successful overnight, Osborne was criticized for years. Be an Alabama fan of you want immediate success. Otherwise you need to give him some time. Chase him out and you will se how s#!tty we can really become.

• Plus1 2
10 minutes ago, HuskerJax said:

And you think the talent issue and the horrible coaching these players have received over the last 3-4 years can be reversed in 9 months? Take a breath and look at the reality of the situation, this is going to take some time. This whole GIVE ME SUCCESS NOW! thing is ridiculous. Devaney wasn’t successful overnight, Osborne was criticized for years. Be an Alabama fan of you want immediate success. Otherwise you need to give him some time. Chase him out and you will se how s#!tty we can really become.

No one on this staff or team had any problem saying how they were reversing it in nine months. 

Im not asking for “success now”. I don’t think not wanting a loss to a sun belt team and a record setting loss in Ann Arbor was expecting too much. 

And literally no one is asking for a change. 

• Plus1 3

What I learned:

We arent as good as I thought.  This was largely due to the ol, the issues with qb, and confidence.

The defense wasn’t the problem.  It’s hard to stop a good program when you’re on the field all day.  That’s an issue with tempo offenses like Frost’s.  When you lose, you lose big.  

The issues with qb have had, in mho, a big effect on us.  The offense is based on timing and speed, both of which suffer when you change qbs.  Indeed, the ol will look worse than it is if the timing is gone.  It doesn’t help that the  severe lack of depth limits your ability to run the ball, and effects your play calling.  

It also appears as if the attempts to create player leaders has gone wrong and created discontent.  At least a little.

One big key with this offense is confidence.  People play better when they have confidence, and through a series of unfortunate events (tg leaving, missing the first game, turnovers, unforced errors, QB injuries, etc), that confidence has gone.  This is the big issue.  If they have a couple games were things go their way, it will do wonders for the team.  Hopefully, it happens.

I learned that I, once again bought in to some of they hype. (I think any true fan should to some extent).

I also learned that my sentiment from last winter is still intact.  I thought that 4-8 was partially luck on our part and could have been much worse.  I felt that Frost is the right guy for the job.  I felt it might get worse before it got better.  I will give Scott 6-7 years to turn this thing around.  I feel if he can't, then no one will.

I learned I don't want the staff and the team to get cute or change schemes to grab extra wins this year.  If the transition is going to be painful, take the pain and make the changes.  Bite the freaking bullet and keep on cheering!!!

• Plus1 1