What Did We Learn? Michigan

The Duke

15 minutes ago, MountainMan said:

We need to be in the top 15 at minimum. 

For all the comparisons to Frost and Saban, Saban at least understands that you need a top recruiting class.  Frost needs to stop giving lip service to the walk ons and late bloomers crowd and recruit Adrian Martinez level talent across the board. 

Id start with the o line first 

We out recruit Wisconsin rankingwise yet they are consistently in the Big Ten title picture.  I'd settle for that.

• Fire 1

51 minutes ago, dvdcrr said:

Maybe its a good thing we did not play Akron after all...

I completely agree with you. If we played Akron, they would have beat us for sure. Having seen them play against northwestern, and seeing us today, Akron would have beat us worse than Troy. We would be 0-4 now. We do not have any legit players to build a program around. Frost has inherited a bunch of players with horrible attitude who have become numb to losing. In fact, losing does not even faze them at this point. They will joke on the sideline as if they are world beaters.

31 minutes ago, krc1995 said:
2 hours ago, Gage County said:

As a head coach dude. And as a conference opponent. But good effort dude

Uhm, that's not what you said you and Frost most certainly was head coach at UCF when they played Michigan two years go. Pretty poor effort dude.

I learned my modest season goal of not stinking it up on the field and embarrassing ourselves on national tv was too much to ask out of this team.  I didn't care about about getting blown out but when they play uninspired, passionless and flat out give up that impacts recruiting.  No recruit wants to step into a locker room like that unless they also have the same attitude.  No matter how highly you thought of the coach these kind of performances have to put a certain amount of doubt in a recruit's mind.  Every game these guys play is tarnishing all of the COY awards Frost accumulated.  If we could at least get through this season with the players looking like they gave a damn then maybe we could get some recruits with the right attitude and ability to rebuild this thing.  The current players are making Frost's task more difficult than it should be.  I'd rather Frost finish out the season with players that are hungry to compete even if less talented.

I learned that when a person is under stress they will revert to old habits both bad and good. This team just reverts to bad. When these guys make mistakes or get behind they revert to what they learned for 3 years before this. Before the interception the offense looked serviceable. As soon as we got behind and had a turnover the offense looked like they completely forgot how to run the plays. When things get tough, instead of focusing on what they've leaned this year they revert to old habits. For a lot of these guys those old habits where built during three years with a bad coach. Frost is going to need a few years to build new habits so when the team is stressed they fall back on the proper execution. 

8 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

I learned my modest season goal of not stinking it up on the field and embarrassing ourselves on national tv was too much to ask out of this team.  I didn't care about about getting blown out but when they play uninspired, passionless and flat out give up that impacts recruiting.  No recruit wants to step into a locker room like that unless they also have the same attitude.  No matter how highly you thought of the coach these kind of performances have to put a certain amount of doubt in a recruit's mind.  Every game these guys play is tarnishing all of the COY awards Frost accumulated.  If we could at least get through this season with the players looking like they gave a damn then maybe we could get some recruits with the right attitude and ability to rebuild this thing.  The current players are making Frost's task more difficult than it should be.  I'd rather Frost finish out the season with players that are hungry to compete even if less talented.

So what’s your actual take here? You seem to casually throw some shade at frost and staff and then the players and then somewhat reconcile towards frost again. Not trying to call you out but you’re literally playing straw man on multiple sides here

2 hours ago, krc1995 said:

frostie has zero Big 10 experience. Hope he’s ready to adapt 

Same thing happened to Bo. Bo went in with a defensive scheme geared to the Big XII (and did a pretty good job IMHO). He went into the B1G saying they'd have to adjust to us....Sometimes they did...in how tired their RB's got running for endless yards.....For the most part, he under estimated or was too stubborn to try and adjust.

Riley was too soft and not a winner. He got stomped by every team with a pulse an some without.  A complete inability to adapt to the physicality (Iowa's practices must be a blood bath)....

I'm not saying change scheme, but saw a post of a goal line stance by NU today.  Michigan was in a bunch heavy formation with no wideouts.  Bootle was still in and on the LOS over a TE.  The rushed right over the top of us. When asked in the presser about personnel match ups on D, Frost said Chinander makes the D calls.  This is a schematic issue that needs to change.  Bring in extra DL or LB's, but don't cover a TE at the LOS with a CB......This is what I hope he learns or adjusts.  You are going to have to bang with these guys week in and week out......Sometimes you can finesse and create mismatches, but sometimes you have to be able to hulk smash and be the hammer meeting the nail.

1 minute ago, gossamorharpy said:

So what’s your actual take here? You seem to casually throw some shade at frost and staff and then the players and then somewhat reconcile towards frost again. Not trying to call you out but you’re literally playing straw man on multiple sides here

I did not intend to throw shade on Frost.  What makes you think that?  I thought I was pretty clear that the current players effort and attitude is making us look bad and could impact recruiting.  Frost has proven to be a good coach.  The players have shown that they give up in big games and continue to do that this season.  The only thing I wanted out of this season was to look somewhat competent on the field and not drive away recruits.

8 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

I did not intend to throw shade on Frost.  What makes you think that?  I thought I was pretty clear that the current players effort and attitude is making us look bad and could impact recruiting.  Frost has proven to be a good coach.  The players have shown that they give up in big games and continue to do that this season.  The only thing I wanted out of this season was to look somewhat competent on the field and not drive away recruits.

I must have misinterpreted your lines of “no matter how highly you thought of frost it casts doubts in recruits minds and the line about the COY awards last year. Wasn’t trying to call you out but wasn’t sure. Frankly, I’m just tired of this fan base acting like the world’s falling apart and now casting doubt on frost.

dude was the most sought after hire this past past year and prolly coulda stayed at his school and built a consistent top 20 progrum.

obviously there’s much to be frustrated about but I fear the impatience of some fans will have a negative impact on this team. Fact of the matter is we’ve overachieved for a few years despite inconsistent recruiting and it’s foolish to think an imbalanced roster with a new staff would result in immediate positive results.

i do agree that these games certainly don’t help recruiting efforts but I have faith frosts ability to connect with youngins will reign supreme

• Fire 1
Just now, gossamorharpy said:

I must have misinterpreted your lines of “no matter how highly you thought of frost it casts doubts in recruits minds and the line about the COY awards last year. Wasn’t trying to call you out but wasn’t sure. Frankly, I’m just tired of this fan base acting like the world’s falling apart and now casting doubt on frost.

dude was the most sought after hire this past past year and prolly coulda stayed at his school and built a consistent top 20 progrum.

obviously there’s much to be frustrated about but I fear the impatience of some fans will have a negative impact on this team. Fact of the matter is Weber overachieved for a few years despite inconsistent recruiting and it’s foolish to think an imbalanced roster with a new staff would result in immediate positive results.

i do agree that these games certainly don’t help recruiting efforts but I have faith frosts ability to connect with youngins will reign supreme

Ah, I probably should have written "no matter how highly a recruit thought of Frost it casts doubt in the recruit's mind..."

Fan impatience can be a good thing if it is directed properly.  We may be too nice as a fanbase and place players above criticism.  Players need to earn their scholarship.

Frost's message of get on board because we're going to be good could be more for the recruits than current players.  It sucks that he has to deal with the current locker room attitude that has evolved 180 degrees from the one he experienced as a player and helped create as a player.  He might have identified a lack of pride when he first got here and hopes that the walkons will bring that back.  Whether the walkons can see the field or not, the instate kids at least bring the pride and work ethic.