What Did We Learn? Michigan

The Duke

I think Frost's comments from 2 years ago being a factor is ridiculous. It's not like he claimed we were going to outhit them in this game, and I'm pretty sure Michigan was going to punch us in the mouth regardless of comments from 2 years ago. That's been how to beat this team for 3 years, and it hasn't changed yet.

The scheme put them in tough spots, but Young overran his gap to give up a big run and one of the Davis jumped of of his on another one. Credit to the Michigan o-line, they were massive holes - but you have to fill it from the inside out. Tre Neal mentioned that in his Monday interview - not specifically Young/Davis, but the need to play the technique exactly as coached and not give the back extra room.

Slightly comforting to hear Frost's comments about changes because players either can't or won't do their jobs. I think it was specifically in regards to special teams, but across the board it's one thing to do it in practice and another to do it in a game. I get using practice as the way to prove you deserve game reps, but if the earned game reps are bad that has to be taken into account.

I'm not a fan of the delayed speed option. Haven't seen it work this year.

I thought Jackson played more physical than the first 2 games, and Bootle less so. But predictably in coverage, Bootle was great (a little grabby, but they were letting them play) and Jackson was not.

Also, we just cannot get out of our own way! I don't think there was a way we win that game, but there were so many chances to slow the bleeding and maybe lose 42-17 instead - The initial pick was deflating, but then we miss a throw to Bell that had the potential for big yards, run into their returner when he's called for a fair catch, can't block one guy with 3 on a screen, and make a terrible decision to try and field that punt. I had to stop my second watching there.