Monday after Purdue is going to be interesting

knapplc

Since there's some question as to who exactly he was talking about, he was responding to this question: "You worried at all that your players and your team, that you'll lose them at all?" So yeah, not talking about recruits or whatever.

48 minutes ago, Hooked on Huskers said:

Early line ...... Nebraska +28 vs. Purdue.  I recommend bet Boilers.  ;)

ESPN currently shows 51.6% Nebraska 48.4% Purdue.

20 minutes ago, Toe said:

Since there's some question as to who exactly he was talking about, he was responding to this question: "You worried at all that your players and your team, that you'll lose them at all?" So yeah, not talking about recruits or whatever.

ESPN currently shows 51.6% Nebraska 48.4% Purdue.

The ESPN line is, ironically, overly optimistic.

Nebraska is so bad, we are going to STRUGGLE against Purdue.

Thank you Mike Riley for leaving us such a soft, pathetic, candy-a**, weak football team.

• Plus1 1

39 minutes ago, Hunter94 said:

This is just bad. If Frost saw this coming and i assume he sees the pisspoor effort, you play like you practice, he is being fooled or he has been overly optomistic. 

For me, i need to see him make changes and dispense with the coach speak. I dont want to see him be that guy!

The way for Frost to build trust with his team does not include tearing them down publically.

• Plus1 2
10 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

I guess what I don't get about this no buy in angle is why, if Frost and the coaches know who these guys are, are these not bought in players seeing the field? Yes Frost says the best they got are being played and obviously we don't have the luxury of replacing them with good players but wouldn't it be better to play the worst guy on the team than to give credence to an attitude problem player. 

It's obvious the team quit today very early in the process. More than one Michigan player has stated as much and we all saw what happened with our own eyes. Are Frost & Co. not seeing what is really going on? Is he just giving us coach speak in these pressers? I know it's a much bigger problem than any one of us anticipated but I'm starting to wonder if it isn't a much larger problem than Frost thought or is prepared to deal with. I mean I know he'll deal with it but does it really have to take 4 years and for all the non  Frost recruits to leave before improvement takes place on the field? I really thought Scott was going to be a no BS guy and proactively weed out these problems and not simply wait for them to graduate or leave on their own timeline. Maybe that was my mistake, thinking a culture change like is required here could be accelerated in anyway. Maybe it was a mistake to think the two year turnaround at UCF was anything at all like would work on our dumpster fire. After all UCF, even though they were winless that one season, hadn't been the sh!tshow this program has for near as long.Ive severely adjusted my timeline expectation on this deal. I thought we'd see some good stuff this season and start really reaping some of the benefits next season. My fault. If we play even remotely like we did today at all the remainder of this season, I don't see a single win on our schedule and that includes Bethune-Cookman. We are a very bad team right now that desperately needs a win and something good to happen so that some of these guys can start believing. Problem is, we're so bad I don't know how they get to that point.

I think Scott realized what a crap-fest this program had become.  He gave a lot of the normal coach-speak and I understand that.  You can't just come out and diss your players.   But there were several times since he arrived that he's said things that indicate he knows the past staffs have screwed the pooch.  Comments like "Not everything the last staff did was bad" (referring to Friday Night LIghts)  When he said that I took it to mean "Almost everything the past staff did was bad"  There were other comments through the year like "could get worse before it gets better" and "making progress but have a long long way to go"...I think he knew.

• Fire 1
6 hours ago, TheSker said:

The way for Frost to build trust with his team does not include tearing them down publically.

Frost is a hard nose competitor.  When he was a player and as a coach.  IMO, he saw how mentally fragile this team is/was (I'm ASSuming his years in college under 2 coaches, years in the NFL under multiple coaches and college stints) based upon his ell travelled experiences.  Like you said, you build trust by not publicly airing team/personnel issues.  Kids see this. It builds trust with staff and each other.  Again, not to defend anyone, but how many position coaches and coordinators have these guys have.  Not a lot of relational depth have been developed by any of these guys.  I think Frost is really trying the TO approach.  It worked for him....

• Plus1 2

7 minutes ago, LumberJackSker said:

I know this staff wants these players to play with "no fear of failure" but if they continue to fail like the offensive line does or are playing hesitant like i thing dedrick young continues to what do you do especially this early in the process? 

I'm hoping the staff can recognize "fear of failure" by going 100 mph and making a mistake vs continually being in the wrong position, making wrong reads etc.....I'm sure they do.  I expect there to be some changes coming soon (Pure speculation on my part).  If not, I will trust the process, but be worried that our depth is worse than I would've thought.

Just speculating here but Frost and Co likely looked forward into this fall's schedule and divided it into segments with the first three games being 'preseason' and barring injury and lots of bad luck, winnables although not gimmes.   The middle section with the big boys of the big ten being a football guantlet fraught with peril and most likely more losses than wins in the best case, again absent devastating injuries to key players/positions.   We have little or no real depth in half the major positions it seems.  Then November with more challenges but the finished would be dictated by the success or fail degree of the first two parts.   Gebbia may have been Frost's 'wild card' that would have allowed him more flexibility in the short and medium passing game as a counter punch to the run /option / features he could use with Martinez.  I don't think he planned on playing Bunch for half the snaps of the first three games nor did he plan on Michigan being one of those games.  

The team was clearly not ready or able to compete with Michigan on any number of levels (talent, preparedness, etc).   I don't think there is ANY scheme (wishbone to air raid to fun N gun) that would enable to Frost to score 5 TDs on Michigan's defense yesterday.   Our O line can't handle their front.  Period.  They mauled us.   

Frost needs to focus on using the games remaining as "practice' scrimmages, etc. and make the team better and not worry about wins or losses.  Get snaps to younger players and keep as many healthy as possible.  Pick 4 remaining games and put plans together that give the team a shot a getting a win maybe.  The rest should be viewed as scrimmages only. 

• Plus1 1

Lots to digest here.  The remarks about Frost falling down on the job or not getting the team up for the game, for either half but mostly in the first half, seem true looking back at clips and just remembering that sinking feeling watching them get out played.  But it was Michigan.

And something keeps reminding me that the "Frost Alert" etc  hype really took hold of many of us Husker fans.  Look at last year and look at what he's got now.  It's still a Riley & Company squad and mentality.  Mentality does not change over night, and the crew itself can't come in and yell at people in the gym and on the practice field and expect sudden changes in people who bought into laziness during Riley's tenure.

• Plus1 3