Monday after Purdue is going to be interesting

knapplc

15 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Oh I agree. I'm mostly commenting on how the exact same things we call reasons were often called excuses on this board — with lots of exclamations points -- under previous coaching staffs.

The second quarter against Colorado was everything we've been wanting the last 20 years. So we know it can work. It's still a mental game and I'm not ready to concede that Scott Frost was handed a talentless band of malcontents. Motivating young men is pretty much the first line of the job description. 

It sounds like you thought Riley was a great coach. Most of us think that’s laughable.

• Plus1 2

2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

It's weird because this is the same team and same personnel who were playing a completely different, more aggressive brand of football against Colorado — a surprisingly good Colorado team we were assured — including great push from both OL and DL, a rejuvenated run game, a revelation at freshman QB and our two best-in-conference wide receivers -- total beasts!  We blamed the loss on a single play or two and marveled at all the good things Scott Frost had already gotten out of the same players he inherited from Riley.  What happened to that narrative? 

I dont know. But I do wonder what happened to the team that played Colorado. That looked like an improved football team with a desire to win. Killed by bone head mistakes and turnovers. The last 2 teams do not look like the same inspired team we saw week 1.

• Plus1 1
On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 12:33 AM, Making Chimichangas said:

The ESPN line is, ironically, overly optimistic.

Nebraska is so bad, we are going to STRUGGLE against Purdue.

Thank you Mike Riley for leaving us such a soft, pathetic, candy-a**, weak football team.

Of course we're going to struggle with Purdue.

2015 L 44-55

2016 W 27-14

2017 W 25-24 (scoring with a last second score to come from behind)

This year Purdue 1-3, Nebraska 0-3 

The Huskers have been Purdue-ish for the last 4 years.

21 hours ago, lo country said:

I'm hoping the staff can recognize "fear of failure" by going 100 mph and making a mistake vs continually being in the wrong position, making wrong reads etc.....I'm sure they do.  I expect there to be some changes coming soon (Pure speculation on my part).  If not, I will trust the process, but be worried that our depth is worse than I would've thought.

The "desire to excel" part often gets forgotten. If you have no fear of failure, but are constantly failing at the same things, are you really desiring to excel?

• Plus1 1
51 minutes ago, knapplc said:

So now we're 0-3, these guys aren't robots, and it's hard to go to work every day when your work doesn't seem to be paying off. We have a tough game coming up - a tough schedule - and a bowl game is looking harder and harder to achieve. 

They’ve been skating in the hard work department during the previous 3 years so they don’t have much skin in the game.

28 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

They’ve been skating in the hard work department during the previous 3 years so they don’t have much skin in the game.

Sure. But they didn't skate since Frost got here. They may not have worked as hard as they were capable, that'll take time to find out where their limits are, and they're learning that. But the time in the weight room was very different since the departure of Riley. And there are those guys who just were never going to put in the work, and some of them have matriculated out of the system, and some of them are about to. 

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Sure. But they didn't skate since Frost got here. They may not have worked as hard as they were capable, that'll take time to find out where their limits are, and they're learning that. But the time in the weight room was very different since the departure of Riley. And there are those guys who just were never going to put in the work, and some of them have matriculated out of the system, and some of them are about to. 

This departure is still speculation right? I don’t want to get overly excited.

6 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

This departure is still speculation right? I don’t want to get overly excited.

Yes, completely speculation based solely on the new rule and the fact that guys around the country have utilized it already.

If nobody leaves, I don't want a horde of HuskerBoardians saying, "YOU SAID GUYS WERE LEAVING," because I'm not making any such statement.  I'm saying the potential is there.

The awful thing is, some guy(s) we really want to keep may leave. And that would be a huge bummer on an already bummer of a season.  But like Frost has said (maybe hinting at this coming up?), if those guys leave, we never had them in the first place.

On 9/23/2018 at 12:33 AM, Making Chimichangas said:

The ESPN line is, ironically, overly optimistic.

Nebraska is so bad, we are going to STRUGGLE against Purdue.

Thank you Mike Riley for leaving us such a soft, pathetic, candy-a**, weak football team.

He was a nice guy though......

1 hour ago, Hayseed said:

It sounds like you thought Riley was a great coach. Most of us think that’s laughable.

Nope. I just thought Riley deserved a chance. I gave him one for 2.2 seasons. 

There's really nothing laughable about this season, but there is something vaguely amusing about certain posters doing a 180 on Nebraska's talent level, the quality of our opposition, the single plays that could have won the game, and the patience required to turn this thing around. 

We're all in on Scott Frost. That's going to make this easier.. But there has been some goalpost moving to accommodate this unfortunate start. 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 2
14 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

There's really nothing laughable about this season, but there is something vaguely amusing about certain posters doing a 180 on Nebraska's talent level, the quality of our opposition, the single plays that could have won the game, and the patience required to turn this thing around. 

I’m not buying some of these excuses either.  How can you remember what posters said about Riley cause I’d like to find amusement in them too?